PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex/DHL pilots in the region

Young Pilot
24th Feb 2009, 14:44
Good day:).

I am about to move back to the region soon, having completed my flight training last year, and so would like to inquire about the possibilities of gaining employment with either Fed Ex or DHL to fly the caravan. Just trying not to put my eggs all into one basket and shoot for just one airline in the region. Any help along these lines would deeply be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

YP

Cruiseclimb
26th Feb 2009, 13:24
Try Ameriflight.. they have a base in San Juan PR..

Young Pilot
26th Feb 2009, 13:28
Do you know whether or not they hire non-US citizens?

skysign
26th Feb 2009, 14:08
The small FDX airplane ( C208 & ATR ) out of Puerto Rico ( SJU for 208, BQN for ATR ) are operated by Mountain Air Cargo on behalf of FDX ( FDX own the a/c ). Since there are N-register and base in Puerto Rico you have to be a US citizens in order to work for Mountain Air Cargo.

Ameriflight also do some run for FDX & UPS out of Puerto Rico using there own airplanes. And Corporate Air fly a couple of Emb 120 for FDX out of BQN.

FDX & UPS use also some other contractor to fly in the different carribean island, Air Tahoma used to do some but went under, and I believed that the run they were doing for FDX has been taking over by IFL.

To make it short every plane base in PR, you have to be US citizens in order to fly for those companies.

As for Mountain Air cargo, they usually like to take local pilot to fill the position on the C208 and ATR in Puerto Rico, exception happen but rare.

Hope this help, :rolleyes:

Young Pilot
26th Feb 2009, 14:19
Yes it does. Thanks. Plus I've been told that for such single-pilot operations, the total time requirements are a little over 1000tt for insurance purposes. Kind of knocks me out the door in that respect if that's the case :). Was also looking at Cape Air, but I think they fall into the whole 'having to be a US citizen' to fly for them as well. Appreciate the help!

B Sousa
26th Feb 2009, 19:32
Cape Air is the same. Its a time builder for young ATPs. Seems like a good enough shot, but again one must have permission to work in the states.

Dont laugh but a lot of folks build fixed wing time in Africa. Botswana seems to be a starting point for many. There is a thread here on the African Forum and another website that is good, but I cannot post it here as the owners of this site dont like competition. My PMs work.

Young Pilot
27th Feb 2009, 15:09
Yeh, I know a guy who left Tobago Express to head over there instead. Seems to like it since he is still flying the Dash. I just can't imagine what it would be like to make such a move though. But right now beggers are not choosers right? :=:)

B Sousa
27th Feb 2009, 20:17
The move to Africa is not that big a deal. If your in the South everything is about the same as any Caribbean island, lots of corruption. In Africa the farther North you go the worse that is plus throw in Health and Security issues. If you can deal with that, all is well.

AeroDiaz
28th Feb 2009, 03:29
If you are from the Central American region you might want to try La Costena, TACA's Regional Airline in Nicaragua.

They fly out of Managua, Nicaragua (MNMG) to San Jose, Costa Rica (MROC) as a DHL cargo feeder. And they also fly passengers and charter flights domestically.

The residence documents are not a problem. We used to have FO's from Spain, Mexico, Costa Rica and the US.

Give them a call. I think they need pilots.

Fabio Gonzalez
Chief Pilot
+(505) 263-2142 /43/44

:ok:

hoover1
28th Feb 2009, 17:04
you don't have to be a us citizen to work for a us airline. you only need a work visa. i have worked with plenty of non us citizens at airlines. apply and see what happens.

chongololo
1st Mar 2009, 17:29
There is a small outfit in SJU called Kingfisher, they fly C-208's for DHL.
I have a friend who works for them and he does not have a work permit and he does not live on US soil, he commutes from another island.
It can be done but it's tough.
They will probably be looking for around 2000 hours.
Good luck.

rcl7700
1st Mar 2009, 18:49
What country do you have a right to live and work in? That will make things easier for the people trying to help you.

rcl

Young Pilot
1st Mar 2009, 23:07
Well I am a St. Lucian by birth, but reside in Dominca.

I am currently under my OPT (optional practical training) here in the US, which expires in July this year. Do not have the money to renew it. Have looked into getting a work visa, but it has not been easy since it is not possible to file for one individually.

Presently I am making plans to head down to Antigua in a couple weeks in order to go through the conversion classes. Praying everything falls in to place.

Bri85
31st Mar 2009, 16:04
anyone have more info in la costena? QOL, base pay, etc. :ok: