View Full Version : Flying in the West Indies

Ingo
15th Feb 2001, 19:24
Does anybody have any info on how to find a job in the W.I. Maybe some useful links or phonenumbers.
...and what's the deal on work-permitts down there?

Thanx in advance!!

lineup
16th Feb 2001, 00:09
Ingo, take a look here at http://www.caribbeanaviation.com/.
Do you have a CAA licence? Send me a mail for mor information :)

SunSeaSandfly
18th Feb 2001, 00:14
Also, check out http://www.caribbeanalpa.com

There seems to be a lot of Dash 8 activity, but most of the other stuff is Caribbean nationals first.
Good luck.

------------------
fly low, bite hard

HugMonster
18th Feb 2001, 01:02
Almost all the big guys (Liat, Caribbean Star, BWIA) are Caribbean nationals only.

The small outfits, such as Carib Aviation in Antigua, HelenAir, SVG Air, Mustique Airways etc. will employ just about anyone.

You'll need some sort of type rating on a CAA, JAA or FAA CPL or ATPL, such as DHC-6, BN2, C404/406, but then a work permit is generally more honoured in the breach than in the observance.

Licence costs vary enormously. I paid EC$30 for a Montserratian licence, and $300 for a Vincentian equivalent (EC$2.70 = US$1). You'll then need a local medical, which will set you back only a few dollars.

Pay is generally around US$2,000 per month. On most islands that'll enable you to live pretty well.

Be very, very careful who you work for. There are some major cowboys out there. Do not trust one or two-man bands. Even with the larger small outfits (say, 5 or 6 BN2's) count your fingers after shaking hands with them.

Good outfits that I've heard of or worked for are WinAir in Anguilla, Carib Aviation and Norman Aviation in Antigua, SVG Air in St. Vincent. Be very wary of TIA in Barbados and Mustique Airways in St. Vincent. Don't expect anything like the level of regulation of aviation there that we get here, especially of duty hours. I once did a 21-sector day. The record I heard of was 25.

The more touristified islands (Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados, S. Maarten, Aruba, US Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas) are much more expensive than the less-developed islands. Crime is also more developed there.

Opportunities are limitless for some great leisure pursuits (walking, climbing, scuba, sailing and most of all, drinking), as are the chances of catching embarrassing infections. So don't go paddling without your wellies.

Beware of the locals' bootleg rum, and if you value your sanity, also steer well clear of the local ganja. Don't ever be seen talking to any Colombians, and keep very, very friendly with the police. Despite all provocations (and there will be many) don't lose your temper with the locals, and avoid being seen to be a representative of the former imperial power. Don't expect anyone to do what they said they would at the time they said.

Time, money and just about everything else that's of importance in the West takes on completely different meaning in the Caribbean.

It's a truly lovely part of the world, filled with some wonderful colourful people. It's a great part of the world to build some hours and have a lot of fun.

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip