PDA

View Full Version : Carribean

Trainiee pilot
23rd Feb 2009, 21:38
Hello
I am 15 years old and am curruntly doing my PPL, with ambitions to complete my CPL by my 18th and ATPL by my 21st. My goal would be to land a job flying for one of the carribean airlines like LIAT or Winair. I holiday there useully twice a year. I was wondering if any pilots from that region could offer advice on how to achive my goal.
Many Thanks

preduk
23rd Feb 2009, 21:47
You might be better posting this in the Caribbean and Latin America area, you would get a better response.

K.Whyjelly
24th Feb 2009, 10:19
Pretty sure to fly for the likes of LIAT you will have to be a CARICOM national....................................sure the more knowledgeble members here will give you more advice though

Trainiee pilot
24th Feb 2009, 14:58
wilco. By the way whats aCARICOM national

Trainiee pilot
24th Feb 2009, 15:01
Hello
Would it be worth getting in touch with theese airlines and see what they say with regards to my carrer goald

Young Pilot
24th Feb 2009, 15:08
CARICOM stands for Caribbean Community. It is made up of primarily 15 member islands, along with what are called 'associates' and 'observers'. Here is a good link if you would like to learn more about this...

Caribbean Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Community)

Therefore, what is meant by being a CARICOM national is that you would have to be a citizen of one of these islands. For example I am a CARICOM national because I was born in St. Lucia. Makes sense??? ;)

YP

Trainiee pilot
24th Feb 2009, 21:41
So if I became a citizen or gained nationality, I'd become a caricom member

B Sousa
25th Feb 2009, 03:06
Its great to be so motivated at such a young age. But being so you should set your sites a little higher than working the Caribbean. Yes it is nicer than de-icing in New York, but the name of the game is to go where the money is...........And most carriers down there are certainly not going to get you rich. In fact few are today.
More important than that is a college education, so that when your unemployed as a Pilot you can find work to feed yourself. The college education will usually determine which side of the shovel you will work. Better to be the supervisor.
Take a look at this place, you can do it on line or in residence. I didnt go there but I am one of their big fans. www.erau.edu (http://www.erau.edu)

nortont
25th Feb 2009, 14:47
" but the name of the game is to go where the money is..........." B Sousa

Money does not always make you happy....

Trainiee pilot
25th Feb 2009, 14:53
did you ever consider why I would like to fly there not to get rich (but maybe later) It's because I love flight.

B Sousa
25th Feb 2009, 15:29
Money does not always make you happy....

Nor does the lack of it.........

I would like to fly there not to get rich (but maybe later) It's because I love flight

Better sooner than later and at age 15 I doubt seriously if you have ever been hungry....

Young Pilot
25th Feb 2009, 15:34
"So if I became a citizen or gained nationality, I'd become a caricom member" Trainee Pilot

Yes I believe so bro.

Very true 'nortont'. A lot of my buddies are asking me why I want to return to the Caribbean to start my flying career, as opposed to remaining here in the U.S. "where the money is". Well first of all, it's hard as hell gaining employment for a U.S. airline as a non-U.S. citizen, unless you have a green card, or some form of work authorization. I have yet to come across a carrier (major or other) up here that is willing to put in the paperwork to sponsor a foreign pilot for a work visa. Not saying there are none; just saying I have not found a single one willing to do this.

Second of all, home is home no matter where it is. I would much rather return to my home island to live a middle class life, surrounded by friends, family, and of course the beautiful ocean:ok:. To add on to that, I will still be doing what I have always had a passion for ever since I was 5 years old, and that is to fly an aircraft. True I may not even make half of what I would if in some miraculous way I would get hired on here in the US, but I will be twice as happy being 'home'. We tend to forget that everyone's situation is different, and that we are not all as fortunate as others. For example, I know one kid who just purchased his second single engine aircraft. He is barely 20!!!!

Haven't we all heard the saying, 'you make more, you spend more'?.

Trainee Pilot, always put your dream first. The rest will fall in place...

B Sousa
25th Feb 2009, 20:53
Young Pilot has a point but also being FROM the islands adaptation is not even a consideration and its understandable you would enjoy flying there.
Trainee is not from the area and albeit a bit young could certainly have a go at it there.
My only point was in the world today flying is not looked at as a long term prospect. You can eat or fly, but not both. For example the Senior Pilot who just took the airbus water skiiing in New York made some statements the other day that many have never heard. He has just lost his whole Pension and his pay was cut 40%. Not something a man at his age looks forward too. It disappeared while CEOS etc walk away with milions. Many senior Pilots are in the same life raft.

So enjoy life down there, its certainly nice in some places. I just dont see too many Pilots buying homes on St Barts.......
For non U.S. citizens to try and work in the states, your right, it sucks big time. If your educated, have a good work ethic and an occupation, the U.S. does not want you. You wont vote for the handouts that politicians need to get rich.
Just curious but where do you call home down that way??

Young Pilot
26th Feb 2009, 13:42
Just as you did B Sousa,I too read the statements that Captain 'Sully' made, and my mouth literally dropped. You would think that a pilot at his level would be 'set for life', but he very clearly made it aware to us all that this is far from the actual truth. It was definitely an eye opener, and has made me start to wonder as to whether I've been making 'wise investments' as he himself put it. Hopefully we won't have to be put into a situation like he was to find that out :)...

B Sousa
26th Feb 2009, 19:28
I ahve talked to other Pilots at the same Airline. There invested retirements just disappeared into the black hole of airline finance. Like overnight those who had invested with the company had nothing.. Really sad.
Just goes to show never invest where you work anymore.