PDA

View Full Version : Safety Management in Abu Dhabi

Level headed
23rd Feb 2009, 16:48
I've been selected for interview for a job in Abu Dhabi and am interested in how the land lies. The job is advertised with ADAS as their Health & Safety Manager, answering to the AGM Strategy & Planning. However the advert says that they're also looking for someone with Ramp/Airside safety management experience. I don't know if they want someone in a white coat, or someone to stop aviation accidents?

Regardless of the job spec', I have 3 questions for those who can answer:

1. What is it like working for ADAS?
2. What are their safety reputation and general management like?
3. How much do you think the job might pay?

Thanks for your help in advance.

binrow
24th Feb 2009, 19:03
just a few observations about ADAS as I deal with them on a daily basis as a A/C engineer, ADAS control the ramp services at AUH from baggage to ground support equipment, maintenance of most of the airport cars ,trucks and loaders ,you will be working with and trying to teach people who have very english and will answer yes sir to everything that you say no matter the question All very frustrating when you try to keep them from being sucked into an engine during a ground run , and you soon learn that life is very cheap where they come from. Alot of the equipment that they use is old, poorly maintained (personally will not let 3 of their gpu onto my A/c duing mait as they cannot maintain volts/freq to the A/C and sick of spending time trying to get another, Its just easier to send it away and leave the dragon running.The ramp people that I deal with on a daily basis are mostly from the backblocks of India , Pakistan and the rest of the region, whilst very nice people generally those that will converse, the large majority just want to get through the day get a feed of the a/c and go home and do it again the next day, Working at AUH is an eye opener when it comes to saftey, the ramp safty officers (not ADAS ) took his time to tell myself the other day that the bag that I carry a few small tools around in was unsafe on the ramp and best left in the office , whilst wearind the local dress of a dishdash and sandles in the middle of a A330 main wheel change, when I challenaged him about saftey he threntened to remove my ramp pass so I could not work. Safty seems to get alot of lip service but little action, As I said life is cheap here. But that being sai good luck if you can make a differance it can only be for the better as the standard is low in my experance at working on a ramp.Good luck

surely not
3rd Mar 2009, 13:12
Well good job yr English is perfect then binrow* .............
people who have very english errrrrrr what is that then.... :ok:
Level Headed, ADAS are a good team. Yes there a lot of Indian and Pakistani workers here, and some of them have very poor English, and some are not easily understood.............but then I don't always understand Ozzies either!!

The Health and Safety culture is not the same as in UK or Europe, but within ADAS there is now a growing awareness of the need for safety at all times, even if a delay happens.

ADAS have invested heavily in NEW GSE and are about to order a lot more. binrow is not accurate when he says it is mainly old, it just looks it as the apron areas on the old terminal are congested so ramp rash is high.

The GPU's seem to work on other aircraft without problems..............maybe they aren't the issue.

The Senior Management like to be professional and have placed a high priority on training courses to change the bad habits into good..............and the recruitment of a Health and Safety Officer is another step forward.

Abu Dhabi, Etihad and ADAS are all growing, so if you want to be part of an exciting future.......................rock up to the interview and do yr best.

This is an outsiders view, albeit with some inside knowledge!!