PDA

View Full Version : Usual time of the year for hiring?

Mach086
23rd Feb 2009, 10:04
Guys,

It could be argued whether this should go on the PPT forum, however this is my question:

At what point during the year do airlines usually start hiring low hour straight out of school cadets? This will influence when I start my flight training.

Now before the thread gets hyjacked:

(I wouldn't recommend starting yet, the market is volatile, bad atitude if you just aim for an airline, the length of the training can be 3 months longer dependant on factors such as weather, we are in a recession so airlines are no longer hiring etc)

I just want to know when airlines "usually" start hiring - lets a ssume a normal stable market.

The reason I ask is that I'm playing around with dates at the moment and it is possible I will finish in October 2010. Now if airlines (or any other pilot jobs) usually start recruiting at the begning of the year, then I could find myself sitting around for a while (again I'm just getting an idea - I won't just be aiming for an airline) IF I only wanted an airline job.

If indeed airlines usually hire at the beginning of the year, then wouldn't it be wise to aim for a finish date of around december?

Any advice will be appreciated - please don't hurt me:ok:

arpansingla
23rd Feb 2009, 10:26
the charter airlines who are busy during the summer do most of their recruiting in the winter.

some airlines recruit all year round but 'usually' its done when airlines aren't so busy. so one would think you have the greatest chance of being employed in the winter, but dont forget you need a lot of luck! :ok:

Mach086
23rd Feb 2009, 11:23
I see your reasoning. naturally I am realistic and know I need a lot of luck.
I wont just be aiming for an airline. Howveer it would be good to know that when i finish, I will be in a period where airlines are hiring as well as the hundreds of CVs that Ive sent off to any business that owns an aeroplane.

Flaps up no lights
23rd Feb 2009, 11:42
October is a good time to finish... October to March seems to be the hiring period for low houred newbies, winter offers the airline time to train new joiners to the level needed.

October is also a good time to finish weather wise, saves you getting grounded during the winter because of fog or wind during the expensive parts of your training when you realy need consistency...

My humble opinion I think now is the right time to start certainly modular, some good bargaining to be had with flight training providers... Heard of one chap getting his PPL for £3800 all in, because he haggled....
GL:ok:

Mach086
23rd Feb 2009, 11:58
Heya Flaps

I wasn't expecting that answer but was happy to hear that. My plan is the modular course will be begining of June 2009 ending end of October 2010.

The start date has some personal benefits rather than just being an arbitary date. I was just worried if ending in October was a bit daft if the general recruiting usually starts every spring.

Any other opinions

captzaahlie
23rd Feb 2009, 13:54
The sooner you finish the sooner you get a chance to build seniority!:ok:

Halfwayback
23rd Feb 2009, 19:44
Captzaalie

Seniority is only built up within one airline. It has nothing to do with when you finish training but ALL to do with your start date in that airline. If you take a temporary job, such as a charter airline mentioned above, and move on then you start at the bottom of the ladder again.

It is also worthy of note that seniority is no longer the single arbiter when the airline starts to shed jobs; it is but one of many factors.

HWB

Artie Fufkin
23rd Feb 2009, 20:27
Where I work, in recruiting years, CVs are reviewed approx August with views to interview in October, sim check November, type rating starts January, line training starting late March, on line in time for summer. (Probably worth pointing out I was interviewed in January and was on line for summer - despite my CV being met with a PFO in October).

If I was an fATPL hopeful I would be betting on 3 to 4 years of minimal low hour pilot recruitment. Downturn started Aug / Sep 2008, look to 2011/12, which nicely ties in with the run up to London 2012 Olympics, which will surely cause increased air travel into UK.

Best of luck with your job hunt, whenever it occurs. :ok:

captzaahlie
24th Feb 2009, 00:14
With all due respect Halfway, I already know this (about acquiring seniority) having been with the airlines for more than 20 years..... My point was finish up school asap, pay your dues at the entry level jobs and land your dream job as soon as you can. Try to pick a place where there is growth because having people come in under you provides what little security there is in this business. Most, if not all airlines ( at least in the US) furlough in inverse seniority.

Mach086
24th Feb 2009, 07:48
Artie Fufkin -

It seems from your reply/expereince that August would actually be a more appropriate time to finish as thats when CVs are reviewed.

Gosh - so confusing. Perhaps my question was a little naive and the fact is there is no set time for recruiting.

archenergy
24th Feb 2009, 16:23
I finished at OAT (integrated) in September 2003 having started in April 2002, in the aftermath of 9/11 and when OAT lost all their sponsored cadets and only had one course every 3 months. I had hoped by the time my course had finished some two years after 9/11 that things would have improved for a job but they had not. The only prospect at the time was Flybe and they only took two people off my course. I was the next person off my course to find their first flying job some 17 months later!

Immeditately after qualifying I worked tirelessly sending out my CV and making jon enquiries. Like you are correctly doing, I thought about the time of the year and hoped things might improve as the winter months passed by, but nothing came and the gap since finishing at OAT became larger and larger on my CV which was a problem after 6 months.

I then looked for any work in the aviation industry, something to have on my CV which would show I was committed to gaining experience whilst looking for my first flying job. Very fortunately I got a job as an Operations Assistant for a large UK charter airline based in Gatwick. I worked there for nearly a year before they gave me a simulator assessment and interview and very fortunately, they gave me my first flying job! I had to pay them for the training though but still, I had my chance at last.

My advice to you is that yes, the time of year does have an important part to play (in my job as an Ops Assistant I had to wait patiently for the summer season to be over before they interviewed me in the winter) however when the industry goes in a downturn things take a very long time to recover and the chances for the newly qualified low-hours guys are even less. When I was newly qualified in September 2003 and looking for work, there was some work out there but you needed the 1500 hours and a type-rating. So perhaps when you finish there will be work however you won't be able to apply. This is still a good sign of the job market improving.

I would also advise that, whilst anticipating a lengthy search for your first job, you should think about working in the aviation industry in any other capacity. It will look good on your CV and perhaps like me, it could be a route in through an airline for a flying job with them. Therefore why not make enquiries now about working in the airlines or your local airport? I applied for work as a baggage handler, BAA security, cabin crew, crewing assistant, crew records administrator, but feel I got the best of the bunch with the Operations Assistant job. After all, it's definitely benefited me as a pilot knowing the way things operate 'behind the scenes' to keep the flying programme moving and I'd like to think I am more flexible and patient because of it.

Good luck !!