PDA

View Full Version : Pressurisation Endorsement - What is involved?

biggles7374
23rd Feb 2009, 04:35
Can anyone tell me what is required in terms of theory and practical to get a Pressurisation Design Feature endorsement.

Thanks

lemel
23rd Feb 2009, 07:09
I assume you complete the ground school for your aircraft type (which covers your pressurisation) and then go out and do an emergency descent in the aircraft/sim.

The Green Goblin
23rd Feb 2009, 09:15
get endorsed on a pressurized aeroplane!

Fuel-Off
23rd Feb 2009, 11:24
Hey Biggles, as Lemmel suggested its a ground school on the aircraft, including knowledge on time of useful consciousness etc. The flight includes, going up to the flight levels, where some importance will be placed on the cabin's altitude, rate of climb and pressure differential. Depending on the guy giving the endorsement, they usually do a rapid depressurisation and then down your merry way for an emergency decent back to the 'altitudes'.

Hope this helps...
Fuel-Off

A37575
24th Feb 2009, 00:32
Depending on the guy giving the endorsement, they usually do a rapid depressurisation and then down your merry way for an emergency decent back to the 'altitudes'.

Of course one assumes the "rapid depressurisation" and the emergency descent would be in an approved simulator. It would be sheer folly to initiate a rapid depressurisation on the real aircraft and risk legal action if ear drums are wrecked and loss of licence through medical reasons ruins a career.

Capt Fathom
24th Feb 2009, 00:46
And a practice idle descent in a piston could also be expensive!

I'm sure no one would do that...:uhoh:

300Series
24th Feb 2009, 03:54
I believe it is something along the lines of, up to the FL's, do the upper airwork, then hit the cabin dump valve and down you go on the emerg descent.

sleeve of wizard
24th Feb 2009, 03:56
Even by turning the bleeds/packs off at altitude won't be sufficient to cause a rapid depressurisation in a large transport category aircraft, the hole for the outflow just isn't big enough. I seem to remenber that the cessna pressurised aircraft had some sort of dump switch in the pressurisation system. (c340, c421)

The Green Goblin
24th Feb 2009, 04:23
We did it in the sim when I were endorsed, there is a cabin dump switch on the copilot console, but the only time it is usually given a workout is by ham fisted coeys pressing it when trying to select low on the bleeds :{

Chimbu chuckles
24th Feb 2009, 05:18
In something like a P210/C340/421 etc (no sim) why dump the cabin for real and why do an idle power emergency descent?

Just clap your hands together to signify depress and get the candidate to done oxy mask, lower gear, reduce power slightly, poke the nose down and the aircraft will come down like an anvil. Once O2 masks are donned the 'emergency' is pretty well finished and there is absolutely no need to risk engine damage or over stress airframe doing some wild descent.

We dont do wild descents in the jets from the mid/high 30s so why do them in a piston from the high teens/low 20s?

I used to endorse people on Falcon 200 in actual aircraft due no sim and while we had fairly carefree handling because it was a jet when I demoed an emergency descent from FL370->10000 I didn't dump the cabin for real:hmm:

biggles7374
24th Feb 2009, 05:23
Thanks for the information everyone

Biggles

Capt Fathom
24th Feb 2009, 05:47
Many moons ago, a friend of mine was completing some legs under supervision following a turboprop endorsement, not his first! (type not mentioned to protect the guilty).

This was on a night freight run with no passengers. Approaching descent point at FL250, the instructor pulled the dump valve!

Once on the ground, some very strong words were said, which conveyed in no uncertain terms, my friend's displeasure with what the instructor had done.

Not only did he subject the airframe to unnecessary stress, but he also placed the both of them into an environment which required a lot of things to go right.

PS.. That instructor is no longer with us!

ResumeOwnNav
24th Feb 2009, 06:52
I have been curiously reading through all the above posts regarding actually releasing cabin pressure requiring the donning of oxygen masks for the endorsement. Is this actually required for the endorsement or is one required to display the method in a simulated decompression?

Wouldn't the releasing of cabin pressure requiring the use of oxygen result in an emergency decent, which would require an IRM? With many other questions and explaining why to follow?

Just curious, I can't seem to locate the requirements for issue.

Just after some more solid info than I believe it is something along the lines of

Cheers, Nav.

morno
24th Feb 2009, 09:13
The only time I have ever dumped the cabin pressure in any aircraft, was during the endorsement, when we had a near sea level cabin, and a diff of only about 2psi (so was roughly only a 2,000ft change in cabin altitude). Barely felt it, but enough to know anything higher would hurt!!

Dumping the cabin pressure when you're above 10,000ft, that's just calling for disaster.

As many wiser pilots than myself have said, "why turn a simulated emergency, into a real one?".

morno

troppo
24th Feb 2009, 09:29
Chuck,why lower the gear?

ResumeOwnNav
24th Feb 2009, 09:31
Thanks morno,

Thanks for being specific.

That is what I would have thought but having not yet done the endorsement wasn't sure if my ignorance was getting in the way with that outlook.

Nav.

Chimbu chuckles
24th Feb 2009, 09:54
Why lower the gear?

So you can get a really good ROD happening without building up inordinate IAS/pulling the engines back to idle and doing any more damage.

Why turn what might just be water frozen in a sense line into a couple of damaged engines or, if at night/imc, into a possible overspeed/overstress or loss of control?

Maximum IAS does not necessarily = maximum VS.

Grogmonster
24th Feb 2009, 10:20
Do not dump the cabin under any circumstances other than when on the ground and the aircraft has failed to depressurise. As pointed out above you are now stepping into test pilot territory when you do things like that.

Just looking through some old manuals in the emergency section for the B200 / B350 phase one checks are as follows.

Depressurisation

1. Oxy Mask - Don
2. Mic switch - Oxy
3. Pax manual drop out - Pull On
4. Descend as required

Emergency Descent

1. Power Levers - Idle
2. Prop Levers - Full Forward
3. Flaps (below 202 kts) - Approach
4. Landing Gear (below 184 kts) - Down
5. Airspeed - 184 kts Max

I hope that helps some people but keep in mind different airframes may have different proceedures.