PDA

View Full Version : Drink driving....?

PIREP 123
22nd Feb 2009, 23:25
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site so please bear with me. I have one question to ask. I have recently applied for the Etihad cadet scheme. If I was successful I have one worry - I had a drink driving conviction in 2005 her in the UK. Would that prevent me from obtaining a security clearance in the UAE?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Black Stain
23rd Feb 2009, 00:06
Drinking whilst driving in arabic traffic makes the whole experience more bearable. You should fit in well. Cheers :ok:

PIREP 123
23rd Feb 2009, 00:11
I undertand that the UAE is strict with drink driving, so do you think that would affect my security clearance? Also, how would Etihad view this?

S.F.L.Y
23rd Feb 2009, 03:34
do you think that would affect my security clearance? Also, how would Etihad view this?

Tell me, what's your opinion? :E
Do you really think this would be something specific to Etihad? Have you already heard of other companies which would take it as a bonus? (especially for cadets, it means you already have good habits...). To answer your questions I think all will depend on who will deal with your case, but it's sure that this will not help. As you can see, drunk driving can be dangerous. Good luck and try to use taxis next time :ok:

BladePilot
23rd Feb 2009, 08:38
If you do get onto the Cadet program don't go back to your old habits (you have stopped drinking and driving haven't you?) penalties for Drink Driving in UAE are harsh and if caught you'll face a stiff prison sentence and deportation. They exercise Zero tolerance in relation to Drink Driving even carrying drink in your car from the 'official' stores back to your digs can attract a penalty if you're caught without your alcohol permit.:ooh:

boredcounter
23rd Feb 2009, 08:53
Had the same concern in 2004 when 'invited' to join QR. (Ban then was less than half way through) but I am a non aviating airline worker. Just came clean on the application form, never heard a thing, interview and job offer there and then.

PIREP 123
23rd Feb 2009, 17:24
Thanks everyone. I have had some good feedback here and from other threads too and it has made me feel a lot better about it! :) It was definitely a silly mistake and definitely a once off!!!! I have learned my lesson and to be honest don't even drink that much - maybe once a month or every two months! Honestly! Just happened to get into the car at the wrong time!! Oh well, it's over with....Thanks again!!!!

latetonite
23rd Feb 2009, 17:54
So you learned your lesson. Sit back, relax and have beer!

Syrian Aviator
25th Feb 2009, 12:06
As for the driving part: Tolerance in UAE is ZERO % unlike Europe 0.05 or US 0.08

This makes me wonder, is there any airline company in UAE practising the Breathalyzers testing on pilots before flying? CAR OPS states 0.02 tolerance which sounds a bit contradicting when compared to the 0% tolerance on driving

alternatelaw
28th Feb 2009, 05:26
YES!!! they do!