View Full Version : Cat IIIc, anyone?

AnthonyGA
22nd Feb 2009, 18:16
I understand that there are three flavors of Cat III ILS approaches, each with different minima, and I also understand that Cat IIIc has no minima at all. But I've also read that nobody actually uses Cat IIIc. If this is true, why not? It seems like it would be useful to be able to land in truly zero visibility, especially in parts of the world where poor visibility is a common problem.

I also recall reading somewhere that the ICAO or some authority prohibited IIIc because it doesn't allow zero minima. True? If so, why?

And I think I read someone who said that IIIc wouldn't be useful because you couldn't taxi, but it seems plausible that you might be below the minima for IIIa or IIIb and yet still have enough visibility to follow the lighted taxiway lights (slowly) off the runway and to the gate.

So if IIIc is really never used, what are the reasons for not using it? And is it possible that it will be used in the future?

(Also, if someone IS doing IIIc approaches, which aircraft and airports are typically doing them?)

I like to shoot Cat IIIc approaches in my little sim, and I'm a bit disappointed to think that nobody is actually using them in real life.

Intruder
22nd Feb 2009, 18:38
The biggest problem is finding your way off the runway. If you can't see the lights, and the Follow-me truck can't find you, it doesn't mater that you couldn't follow the Follow-me, either!

paddingtonbear319
22nd Feb 2009, 21:14
Ask the Campain Against Aviation, they're the ones that won't approve it.

Apparently its cos we can't taxi off the runway ..

Most new generation Airbuses are capable

deltahotel
22nd Feb 2009, 21:18
Isn't 75m RVR, no decision height bad enough for you?! When it next gets really foggy go outside and picture being just able to see a light 75m away - you'll probably be able to see a tree about 40m away. As said above, even at that level just getting around the airfield, let alone to/from work is going to be quite hard enough thanks.

DH

avionic type
23rd Feb 2009, 00:36
WE had CatIIIc on Tridents in the 70s but was only used for a very short time as the Captains said "It's all very well landing safely but we can't taxi and to find and safely taxi nose in to your stand was not possible "so we saved thousands of pounds landing in Cat IIIb conditions with not having to send ground crews to Standstead and Gatwick and the trouble of bussing passegers to Heathrow, If we landed at Heathrow and gave them their baggage how they got home was their problem not the airlines.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Feb 2009, 07:02
<<Apparently its cos we can't taxi off the runway ..
>>

Well they're not far from the truth!!

Heathrow was equipped with all manner of lighting systems to help pilots and we had Ground radar too. Back in the 70s and 80s I recall talking a lot of aircraft off the runway using radar in bad visibility because they couldn't see a thing! We used to do exercises with the fire service too. They'd blank out the windows on a fire engine and during a quiet spell at night we'd talk them around the airfield. Great fun!

dixi188
23rd Feb 2009, 10:00
Back in the early 80's a Delta Tristar landed at Gatwick and stopped on the centre line. We had to go out with a tug and tow him to the gate as he could only see one light at a time from the cockpit.
All other A/C that morning diverted.
So that is the problem. One A/C lands and the airport is closed for 10-15 mins. while it's towed clear.