PDA

View Full Version : Kinloss Nimrod Gate Guard

ORAC
22nd Feb 2009, 12:33
Scottish Sunday Mail: Nimrod Tribute Set For Gates Of RAF Kinloss (http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/02/22/nimrod-tribute-set-for-gates-of-raf-kinloss-78057-21143174/)

TOP brass want a decommissioned Nimrod to stand in tribute at the RAF base of a crew killed in Afghanistan.

The Nimrod MR2 will be a symbolic "gate guardian" at RAF Kinloss - the home base of 14 men who died when the same type of plane crashed. In September 2006, the Nimrod exploded in a fireball, killing all on board. An MoD probe blames a fuel leak but refused a coroner's request to ground the entire fleet over safety fears.

An RAF spokeswoman said: "One of our crewmen has approached the station with the request to have a Nimrod as a gate guardian which we are considering. But a Nimrod would be too large to site at the front gate.

"An alternative site would have to be considered."

Sources have revealed that a suitable site has been identified on Burghead Road at the eastern end of the airfield.

Last night the families of those who were killed declined to comment.

Ogre
23rd Feb 2009, 00:55
While I can sympathise with the request for a gate guardian, not only for the 14 who died in 2006 but for all those who flew in Nimrod, I can't help but remember the fate of the Shackleton that was a gate guardian at Lossiemouth. It had less flying hours than the rest of the fleet, and was regularly robbed for spares!

getsometimein
23rd Feb 2009, 07:26
The proposed site is rubbish... half of the visitors to Kinloss wont see any of it as its a good 1/2 mile down the road...

Think we should make a massive stand and put it above SHQ... worst case is it falls off and productivity will increase when we lose the pen pushers.

KeepItTidy
23rd Feb 2009, 12:19
Hehee what pen pushers. Back to the topic though I think moving such a large aircraft to other locations is a no no. The place they have selected is the only viable choice im lead to believe.

I think its a good idea every other station has some sort of gate guard and a Nimrod would be a fitting tribute to the base, lets hopeits not 29 , somebody thinks that might be going to one of the aerospace museums Wooowwwoooooooo ghosties

incubus
23rd Feb 2009, 13:05
Take the wings off (or the outer sections) and get it up the road towards the main gate. Stick it on the grass and the east end of and just south of the road which heads to the Sgts Mess from SHQ. Google Earth suggests you could shoehorn one in there diagonally.

The bit on the Burghead road (between the OMQs and the forest?) just doesn't do her justice.

I'd live to see a Nimrod guarding the gate at ISK.

Valiantone
23rd Feb 2009, 13:15
What is the intended fate of those that are not going into the rapidly dwindling Mk4 production line anyway? Send one to Shawbury (for Cosford? as Hendon is full Duxford probably wouldn't have the space so its scrap most likely ....

St Mawgan, or whats left of it has a gate guardian already, so doesn't really need one??

V1

linklater
23rd Feb 2009, 16:40
There's plenty of space on the left as you go into RAF Kinloss, just on the road to the Sgt's Mess, in fact probably for about 3 Nimrods!

KeepItTidy
23rd Feb 2009, 17:22
One is penned in to go down to a museum which and where I dont know but thats the story Ive heard.

Spam_UK
23rd Feb 2009, 19:14
Supposedly its to do with the strength of the ground as opposed to access and space. The area on the Burghead road has been reinforced back in the day supposedly.

mad eng
23rd Feb 2009, 21:19
I heard it was coz the contract for the grass cutting was set in 'concrete' and would cost millions to have changed.........any more educated guesses

Have you looked at the obstacles enroute to the front gate? It would be like getting a Nav to the galley when the back door is shut.

Quiet night on prune eh?

Shackman
24th Feb 2009, 09:09
Presumably the same obstacles that prevented the first gate guardian - the Shackleton that had been immaculately refurbished by the engineers and the paint bay which was left at the back of the Sgts Mess while the powers that be decided how they would get it to that same area outside the guardroom. Unfortunately leaving a very light ac without tie downs and strong winds led to a mating manoeuvre between the aircraft and -IIRC - the kitchen, in which neither came off very well, and the aircraft then sadly ended its days on the firedump. Even so it still provided spares for 8 Sqn - one of its wingtips was used as a replacement after a 'minor' taxying incident!