PDA

View Full Version : Twin Pin over Penrith

i.dingbat
22nd Feb 2009, 11:11
Just wondering where the Twin Pioneer came from that flew over Penrith yesterday around 4pm.

I've never seen one in the air. Lovely radial sound.

Thanks for any info.

Led Zep
22nd Feb 2009, 11:18
There used to be VH-AIS operating on the east coast, it might still be flying?

i.dingbat
22nd Feb 2009, 11:39
Photos: Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer Srs3 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Twin-Pion-Air/Scottish-Aviation-Twin/0217128/M/)

Colours look right - it was definitely blue and white.

Thanks

coke drinker
22nd Feb 2009, 13:07
Not sure of the callsign, but she used to be at Bankstown's museum. Finished restoration sometime near Christmas, I saw him doing some circuits at Camden in it a couple of times in January. I believe it was at the 'gong show today.

Scion
22nd Feb 2009, 18:34
Indeed it was at the HARS airshow even though it had a bit of a problem getting through the murk from Bankstown to Albion Park.
There was a terrific turnout with Yaks from Camden,a Rapide and a very rare Gipsy Comper Swift.

bentleg
22nd Feb 2009, 19:42
Colours look right - it was definitely blue and white

Maybe not. Here is a pic of the one at Albion Park

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/bentleg/scottishpioneeralbionpark.jpg

Leatherdog
22nd Feb 2009, 21:34
Looks like a multi cross-bred 'Twin Otter', 'Islander', 'Nomad'. :}

Good to see people keeping the heritage alive.:ok:

the wizard of auz
22nd Feb 2009, 23:33
Was the Comper Swift a red and blue one?. I guess it would have been, as there isn't too many around. I helped the previous owner rebuild the rudder and rebag the wings, dope and sand and repaint it. I got to Taxi it around a bit. it makes a Pitts special look like an observer aircraft..... forward visibility = 0.
We made the rudder a little bigger that the original for low speed control.
Dougy (the previous owner) was a tradesman of old and was very patient and happy to teach the old art of cloth machines. was a thoroughly enjoyable and learning project for me.

Scion
22nd Feb 2009, 23:55
You are absolutly correct, The Swift is still in the colours that Doug Muir had it painted and it is now flying regularly. First post workover flight in October at Camden and various flights scince then. A film of the first flight is on U-tube. Search under Comper Swift!

the wizard of auz
23rd Feb 2009, 00:02
Awesome. thanks for that. I would love to see it fly again. I only ever saw it fly once. I did a lot of work on that Gypsy...... I hope it stays going. :}
And just to stay on subject, I would really love to see the old Twin Pin fly too.
I remember a while back there was two and a spares package for sale in the Aviation Trader. I guess this one is one of them.

coke drinker
23rd Feb 2009, 00:02
Here you go Scion and Wizard of ID...
RlsiYd5RsPw

the wizard of auz
23rd Feb 2009, 00:12
Great stuff Coke drinker. really nice to see it stayed in Australia. Doug was pretty hesitant to sell her over seas. :ok:
Fly's just like I imagined it would..... fast as buggery on the approach and twitchy. I guess racing aircraft are like that. :}
She looks exactly like the last time I saw it. lots of sanding involved in that paint job. :}

Scion
23rd Feb 2009, 01:15
Thank you Coke Drinker and Wizard. I am the fat geek with the fire extinguisher in the early shots and David Thiess and David Greig the piloot did most of the hard work. Due to regs we had to put a lots more exam holes in the wings and repaint them. We also touched up Dougs paint job as it was a few years old. The engine had a few fuel problems with some glutinious deposits in the carbie and the fuel pumps but after renewing them all was well. Some of the control cables were also renewed as was the "Funk Cable".We are still hunting down oil leaks but most are involved now arround the hats.
That first flight was meant to be a fast taxi but David found himself in the air about 10 feet. His dianosis was "A little beast" but he seems to love it.

the wizard of auz
23rd Feb 2009, 02:25
Jeez, she must have sat for near ten plus years since it had a birthday. great to see it fly.:ok:

Jabawocky
23rd Feb 2009, 03:48
It could be AIS as it was stored just west of Brisbane and was being kept running. Its sister I believe went back to the UK.

Here she is in storage about 12 moths ago!

http://file039b.bebo.com/5/large/2008/01/16/02/4525920200a6631474276l.jpg

J:ok:

Kickatinalong
23rd Feb 2009, 03:48
Scion was that you , bald, out of nick, ageing, with a funny speech impediment? I didn't know. Much. Well done, shame your flight didn't finish up as well as VH-ACC 's
Kickatinalong :ok::ok::ok:

coke drinker
23rd Feb 2009, 10:24
Jabawocky...I'm 95% certain that it is the one that was at the Bankstown Museum.

Scion
23rd Feb 2009, 18:14
Kickatinalong, did you mean ACG or really ACC?
Indeed I was really sorry that incident occured.

i.dingbat
23rd Feb 2009, 20:57
OK, I dreamt the blue :\ - shows how unreliable eyewitness reports can be. I plead poor visibility and seeing it through trees.

I see the museum's moving to Camden later this year so hope to see it in the air then.

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Wish I'd been able to get to the HARS airshow but had kids' sport commitments all weekend.

Kickatinalong
24th Feb 2009, 02:58
Scion , you may be ageing, out of condition, balding but there is nothing wrong with your eyes, unlike mine. Once again I have to bow to your expertise. You would think I would learn wouldn't you, but it's hard to put brains into dummies.
Kickatinalong.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

the wizard of auz
24th Feb 2009, 04:46
I was being nice by not mentioning the oversight :E