PDA

View Full Version : PPL Theory - Advice

Tiger01
21st Feb 2009, 21:44
Having just completed my GFPT. In the next couple of months i'll be continuing on with my PPL. Between now and then i'm aiming to get the study done and exams out of the way. Just wondering your thoughts and experiences are in regards to study, best books, self study / theoy course etc. For preparing for the PPL exam

Thanks in Advance

Flygirl__37
21st Feb 2009, 22:37
I am about the same stage as yourself, and have looked into all area's of the theory study. I have been using the Aviation Theory Centre &Trevor Tom books for my CPL theory, along with Bob Tait's VFR Day study guide for the PPL. Home study is ok if you can be dedicated to it, however, I find the ground school is great because you have to do the work, plus have someone to help you if you dont understand something. ;)

I am considering when I get to PPL that I might do all of the CPL theory at ground school full time, and get it all out of the way. Not sure if this is a good or bad way to do it.

Dixondik
22nd Feb 2009, 02:49
Tiger,

Congrats on the GFPT, it feels good to take your mates or Mrs up for a local flight doesn't it!

When it came to PPL theory for me I tried to decipher the amount of rubbish found in the PPL/CPL series (ATC). I studied the wrong things but thankfully passed. Best bet is via Bob Tait, clear concise and well covered. I am kicking myself for not using his books earlier.

Best of luck!

b_sta
22nd Feb 2009, 04:57
Same boat as you, and another vote for Bob Tait.

Rob D
22nd Feb 2009, 05:07
I'm at the same stage as you. I have the ATC books and Bob Tait. Just looking at the ATC books in the box is scaring the **** out of me, there is so much in there that you don't actually need for PPL, although some of it is clearly marked CPL, you can never be sure. Started on the Bob Tait book and finding it much better.

Tiger01
22nd Feb 2009, 05:19
Thanks For the replies :ok:

I've also heard some similar responses from people saying that up to PPL level bob tait is much more straight forward with all the information you need compared to the PPL/CPL series (ATC).

Looks like I'll go for the bob tait version.

SM227
22nd Feb 2009, 06:23
Bob Tait books and their practice exams are pretty much the same as all the casa examinations, bar a few random questions that you may get. Some of my CPL exams where anywhere from 60-80% identical (or very close to) bobs practice exams. For IREX I recommend both books (which I think is a wise investment for that exam, or better, borrow someone else’s as I did!).
I used the ATC books for PPL and found that I had learnt way too much than I needed and my knowledge was too broad and not in enough detail, but they did get me through. They are a great reference when you want something explained differently or you come across something in your practical flying you want explained in more detail, so again get both if you can.
For PPL, TAKE YOUR VISUAL FLIGHT GUIDE!! Heaps of questions can be answered quickly with it without flicking wildly through CAR/CAO/AIP,it’s a life/time saver.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :ok:

ReverseFlight
22nd Feb 2009, 14:45
I self-studied all my theory with Bob Tait's books and they were right on the mark. I used them from GFPT through to CPL and IREX and found them to be extremely helpful in uncluttering complex theory and preparing for the written exams.

Further on in your training, you will also find his material useful for instrument renewals and flight instruction briefing notes (as I have).

BTW, I don't know Bob Tait and get no credit for the contents of this post.

The Green Goblin
22nd Feb 2009, 22:00
If you can't self study for PPL and CPL you should consider a different career.

Bob Tait is on the money and got me through :D

bilko09
25th Feb 2009, 05:19
Can't go wrong with Bob Tait. Enough said I think.

Jazzy78910
25th Feb 2009, 07:58
a bit of a thread hijack here, but:

On the recommendation of my school, I purchased the ATC Kit that includes:

- The flying Training Manual
- Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK)
- Flight Radio for Pilots VRF Operations
(and a log-book)

How far does these books take me? Up to GFPT only, or all the way to PPL?

Thanks, Jazz

tmpffisch
25th Feb 2009, 08:29
Only to GFPT Jazzy78910.

From there there's the CPL kit from ATC which covers PPL too. I have the CPL kit (as I'm doing CPL) combined with Bob Tait PPL.

Jazzy78910
25th Feb 2009, 09:01
So its either:

- CPL kit from ATC
OR
- Does Bob Tait have a similar Kit? bearing in mind I'm also CPL bound

tmpffisch
25th Feb 2009, 09:18
Individual books for each exam, just like the ATC ones but not in a 'kit'.

Di_Vosh
25th Feb 2009, 11:13
You can self-study through PPL, CPL and IREX using Bob Taits books! :ok:

I did all mine in 2002/2003 using Bob Tait, and his books were the best by a long way.

If you can't self study for PPL and CPL you should consider a different career.

ABSOLUTELY! This would be THE QUOTE for this thread! :D :D

The learning never stops:

At a charter/instructor level, you should be familiar with the CARs/CAOs and AIP (as well as your company Ops manual).

If you want to get into the airlines, you'll have to know more than you ever wanted to know about your particular aircraft systems, FCOM (Flight Crew Operating Manual), as well as at least 3 other company specific manuals, etc.

Sure, you do ground courses on all this, but unless you have an effective study habit, you wont get there.

So...

Acquiring good study skills/habits while you're learning at the GFPT/PPL level will pay off over time. If nothing else, you'll save hundreds of dollars while you're getting your CPL/MECIR if you self-study instead of going on a course.

My 2c,

DIVOSH!

MikeTangoEcho
25th Feb 2009, 13:05
I'm in the same boat as you, passed GFPT about a month ago, got 172 endorsed on Sunday and have Nav1 booked (be good to finally get out of the training area!). I got all the bits & pieces I needed like charts, nav comp, wac ruler etc and picked up the PPL VFR study guide by Bob Tait because I heard it was good.

I used the ATC Student Pilot Kit previously, but going through this PPL book is much much much easier, very clear and explains things in terms 'beginners' can understand. As all the others before me said, can't go wrong with Bob Tait.

Congrats on the GFPT pass, hopefully many more to come..:ok:

Cheers

Christo 123
21st Apr 2009, 16:07
Tiger - just use Bob Tait and you'll be fine. Don't forget that you will need to study from both PPL AND BAK books for the Cyberexam. I found they asked quite a few HPL questions so perhaps brush up on that too (esp the difference between Hyperventilation and Hypoxia).

Good luck:ok:

Christo 123
21st Apr 2009, 16:09
You can't get Bob Tait in a kit. However you can usually ask for a 10-15% discount from the pilot supply store if you buy all 7 books at once.