View Full Version : Coarctation of Aorta and medical exam

Pilotbobby
21st Feb 2009, 21:26
Did anybody on these boards either have, or knew someone that had a coarctation of aorta? Basically I'm 22 years old and I had this repaired with a flawless recovery. I possess a 1st class FAA medical certificate (unrestricted) but when I contacted the CAA (and did some research) I discovered that a 1st class is only issued with a OML restriction (Multi-crew Limitation). Does anybody know if an OML will pose as a serious problem in trying to become an airline pilot? Any help would be appreciated.

Horatio Leafblower
17th Mar 2009, 01:35
Mate I am not sure what coarction of the Aorta is BUT

.. I have had an aortic root graft (replacing the ascending aorta from the aortic valve up to, but not including, my carotid arteries) and I hold a Class 1 medical and ATPL in Australia.

Not sure if this helps you.

Cheers

:ok:

Der absolute Hammer
17th Mar 2009, 06:21
Documents for Download | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=7099)
Should give you further info and algorhythmes.

So then, you have had the operation and all BPs are normal.
Career prospects with the limitation as an airline pilot.......no worries I think.
The UK OML will give you no trouble at all in the UK airline world. It is-if you ask nicely-only put on your six month medical-not in the licence. There must be 100s of European pilots flying around in the two crew envirnoment-with multi crew restriction. Having spare glasses banging around is probably more incconvenient.
Also-you should ask the CAA what the protocol-the English like that word-is about the time limit the restriction stays on your medical. Many things like that fall off after some time if there is not a relapse.

cats_five
17th Mar 2009, 07:46
Mate I am not sure what coarction of the Aorta is <snip>

Google knows though, and so does Wikipedia:

Coarctation of the aorta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortic_coarctation)

Bob the Doc
22nd Mar 2009, 20:30
Coarctation doesn't relapse to the best of my knowledge. It is an abnormal narrowing of the aorta and can be anywhere from just above the aortic root (in which case all arteries have reduced pressure) to much further round the system. Definitive repair should be curative with no long term problems that I am aware of.

If they issue the original licence, there shouldn't be a problem with subsequent ones

Pilotbobby
24th Mar 2009, 02:43
Many thanks for all the kind feedback. I'm currently in the talks with CAA regarding the scheduling of my medical. I've been getting some of the paperwork they require together, and sending it over to their base in Gatwick. My biggest concern was whether the OML factor would create any additional barriers in my pilot career since the barrier of finding a job is difficult now, I didnt want to be "easily" eliminated by the recruiters because of my previous medical history. And no, the coarct of aorta does not relapse, and all my doctors have been pretty impressed with my smooth recovery. I feel much better and exercise almost daily to stay in tip-top shape.