PDA

View Full Version : Airasia Us$100mil Man Utd Sponsor????

QAR
21st Feb 2009, 17:24
Low-cost-carrier AirAsia Bhd has been approached by Manchester United (MU)to sponsor the jersey of the soccer giants.

This was revealed by AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes in his blog on Wednesday.

"Manchester United have just approached me on whether AirAsia would be interested in becoming their shirt sponsor," said Tony in his blog.

He said having the players of the most famous soccer club in the world donning jerseys with the name and logo of a Malaysian-born global brand was something all Malaysians could be proud of.

He, however, did not state whether AirAsia would make the commitment and asked visitors to the blog to give their feedback.

As of today, 88 per cent of the visitors voiced their support.

MU had to find new sponsors for the jersey after insurance giant AIG(American International Group), who are faced with financial difficulties as a result of the world economic crisis, did not seek to renew the deal.

The four-year sponsorship contract with AIG due to expire in 2010 is reported to be worth US$100 million (RM360 million).

Earlier this year, MU was also reported to have invited India's Sahara Group to enter the sponsorship deal.

MU, who are now leading in the English Premier League, have also announced that Malaysia would be one of their destinations in the club's Asian tour this year.

Their match against a Malaysian selection is scheduled for July 26.

QAR
21st Feb 2009, 17:30
Ak Famous And Much Loved Ceo Does This

1.dont Pay Promised Bonus
2.freeze All Yearly Increment
4.pays Pilots Peanuts
3.goes Around Telling His Staff That Times Are Bad And To Tighten Their Belts

And At The Same Time He Is Thinking Of Sponsoring Manutd Us$100mill.

What A Bloody Joke????

He Should Join Allen Perriera And Indy Nadarajah In Their Line Up At The Actor Studio As A Stand Up Comedian!!!!

modeselectorignition
22nd Feb 2009, 02:57
Hi QAR
What you have stated is true. But the important thing is no retrenchment for AK staff. I would rather get a paycut/no increase/no bonus (bonus is not guarantee and promises are made to be broken right? :p) than to lose my job in this case. Well, in today's competitive business environment, marketing/promotion is a must. In AK, as I understand, they use their staff for advertisement (no FAKE models!), so they save a lot there. My friend told me they even make promotion/new launch announcements on board for the company (no DEEJAYS!-again $$$$$ saved). It really depends you know. If you sponsor Burnley or some Division 3/4 teams, perhaps it is a waste of time. If it is MU, Liv, Chelsea, TENS of Millions watch them once or twice a week. Just imagine 1-2% market share there. I am sure with the fantastic response to most of AAX and AK ticket sales, it is proof that Tony is doing MOST things right, not all, because there is no ideal/perfect business strategy. We will always affected by the global situation. Especially on the EPL refs, they wear the AirAsia.com badge. Like I said, imagine if only 2% of spectators "ask" about it (I'm sure they do). What about Ronaldo wearing a jersey with "Now Everybody Can Fly"? Fly what? People would ask. There you go... promotion/advertisement. So with the right strategy and correct marketing at the right time, I'm sure any company can do well. It doesn't mean a company invest today (global downturn), means its a wrong move. Look ahead for 2010, 2011 and beyond. Mind you, Most budget airlines sells their tickets 3-6 months ahead. So I guess by now Tony would have a good picture of AK sales right up to August, minimum. Cheers!!!!

GlueBall
23rd Feb 2009, 00:06
"I would rather get a paycut/no increase/no bonus (bonus is not guarantee and promises are made to be broken right? ) than to lose my job..."

. . . what a wonderful model LCC employe! Instantly prepared to go that extra mile to "help" the company. What's next? Will you be ok with a 15% pay cut, to help pay $100 million for more MU sponsorship? If you're a pilot, would you mind staying an extra hour at the end of the day to help clean the cabin and put some soap in the lavs?

The last six flights I was paxing on AK there was no soap in any lavatory. I was wondering how the cabin staff would wash their hands before serving food. :eek:

modeselectorignition
23rd Feb 2009, 03:12
Hi!
Regarding the soap thingy, you better or should have confronted the crew. I wouldn't know how they washed their hands. So no point talking about it now. Its like you saw someone pickpocketing and doing nothing about it, then weeks later talk about it. Well, look at SIA Cargo. 3 years no pay leave, if you can find a flying job elsewhere, go ahead blah blah blah. Alitalia, jobless. Other airlines, cut down frequencies, means less flying allowance. Well, no official announcements on paycut/no increament. But if you have been flying 70-80 hours but now 40-50 hours, isn't that a "paycut". Well, as a well prepared person, you should not take your allowances into your budget allocation. At most 30%. always work on your fixed income, then variables, up to you. I wouldn't agree if my airline where to ask me to clean the cabin or go check the soap in the lavatories or cut down on my inflight duty meals but I would certainly understand what the global world economy is going through. To deny that WE (the world) are doing fine and should continue our HIGH living is not the right time.... at least for now.

kit330
23rd Feb 2009, 03:24
brilliantly said modelselec....:D:D yeah we all love to live the high life but you need to adapt to different times guys...and what modelselec says is sooo true...:ok:

Sky Dancer
23rd Feb 2009, 05:47
Wonder where Old F... Head Tony is gonna get the money from...guess he'll con the malaysian gonmen into paying 90% of it ...he'll bloody well do that by telling them that he's actually promoting Malaysia...:EGO GO ...GO TONY GO GO GO ...TONY THE FRAUD:ok:

Coil
23rd Feb 2009, 08:02
Yeah it really gets to me sometimes, the wingy soccer players are the ones that are hopelessly overpaid and reep the rewards, does a sponsership like this really return the investment put in ? :{

jetjockey696
23rd Feb 2009, 09:06
Slight off the topic:

There was a little incident with a flight operated by Air Asia last night 22nd feb, Ak5212 from Kuala lumpur to Kuching (East malaysia).

here was what the capt wrote:

"Landing roll was normal, but the captain felt very strong shoulder when speed below 100 knots.No controlbility problems and upon complete stop,aircraft unable to move because nor steer,at the end,it stuck at the end of runway". well "stuck at the end of the runway" was actually in the grass..

but good news that there was no injuries etc..

GlueBall
23rd Feb 2009, 09:08
modeselectorignition: . . . Not my second day on the job, sir. Neither as a pilot [at another carrier] nor as a pax at AK.

Yes, I did mention to your smiling hosties in the short red skirts seated in the rear galley as they were filing their nails mid flight as to why there was no soap in either of the two rear lavs. The liquid soap dispensers were bone dry. . . . And I get that startled look of surprise from the senior: "Oh, so sorry sir, I'll make a note on that." As if she didn't know that there was no soap in the lavs. . . Helloooo. It's her job to check on that prior to departure. No? Furthermore, I had also mentioned to this beetlebrain that this has been a recurring problem at AirAsia on several of my previous flights. Duh?

And I had also sent an Email to dandy TF about this repetitive "oversight" via AK's customer feedback link on their website. The message was acknowledged as received, but never answered. So whenever paxing on AK I bring my own soap.

lesenterbang
23rd Feb 2009, 10:43
"Landing roll was normal, but the captain felt very strong shoulder when speed below 100 knots.No controlbility problems and upon complete stop,aircraft unable to move because nor steer,at the end,it stuck at the end of runway". well "stuck at the end of the runway" was actually in the grass..

According to the pictures taken by KCH-based spotters the aircraft stopped on the runway, with the nosewheel at 90 degree to the fuselage.

Some more info and pictures here (http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11519&st=20&start=20).

The Rage
23rd Feb 2009, 12:02
Tony reminds me very much of a friend i have. We call him 90% bulls**t and 10% lies.

flightleader
24th Feb 2009, 01:52
Again, This is Fat Bangla TF's attenton getter at work for publicity. Look, he has managed to stir your interests into starting a topic here. Seriously, do you think AK has the $$ to fund this? Of course, football clubs always source for sponsors. Fatty is quick to make it into news for free advertisement. Same thing like the KLIA-East,Labu LCCT. He uses the oppoturnity to make some publicity by taking Sime Darby for a ride.After that,he uses the rejection as leverage to muscle for some advances from MAHB or government. He might even get AK going into SZB! Watch it!

kit330
24th Feb 2009, 06:12
you should be happy u have a smart boss who will try anything to make a buck!!! end of the the day that keeps u in a job...what's on the other side of the coin??? a boss that gives u anything u want and end up like the american or european airline...close shop n no job??? smart move I think to get cheap advert:D:D remember aviation is a business not a charity end of the day:):(:ugh:

jetjockey696
24th Feb 2009, 07:37
Just in...

AirAsia needs RM13bil funding

PETALING JAYA: AirAsia Bhd yesterday sealed a deal in London mandating Barclays Capital to fund the purchase of 15 new A320-200 aircraft worth nearly US$700mil (RM2.5bil) for delivery largely in 2009 despite global banks clamping down on lending.

After yesterday’s deal, AirAsia needs another RM13bil to fund 104 aircraft orders it has placed from 2010 to 2014.

It is learnt that AirAsia is also in talks with BNP Paribas to secure more funding for 14 new A320 aircraft whose deliveries are in 2010.

But beyond that, can it secure all the funding it needs to take delivery of all the orders it has placed?

“We are thrilled to have secured the funding. It is not easy to raise money in (current times). The fact that we are able to do it shows the confidence of the financial community in our business model as it is the worst period for the credit market.

“This financing takes care of our 2009 and part of 2010 deliveries. Getting more guarantees for 2010 will not be an issue as our model is strong and it enables us to raise the money,’’ group chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes said in London yesterday evening.

He added that “this financing (via Barclays Capital) and the one (being negotiatied with BNP Paribas) will take us till end of 2010.”

“If people cannot get credit after that, i.e. in 2011, it would mean that the aviation sector will really be in difficult times.

“If by then we are not able to get credit, then we will have to cancel our aircraft orders but we hope we will not have to get to that stage. I think two years is a long time and we will cross the bridge when we get there.

“In the immediate horizon we have two years worth of financing (to see us through). We dare say we have achieved what not many airlines could have achieved in current times,’’ he said.

The signing ceremony was held in London to formalise the facility and it was attended by Fernandes, Barclays Capital, Airbus (the aircraft manufacturer) and BayernLB.

The funding via Barclays Capital – the investment banking division of Barclays PLC – comes three months after AirAsia secured a facility for US$336mil (RM1.21bil) to fund eight new A320 aircraft purchases.

The lead arrrangers for that earlier deal was BNP Paribas and Natixis Transport Finance.

The signing yesterday also confirmed a StarBiz report on Nov 13 that AirAsia was then close to securing a deal to purchase aircraft worth about US$1bil.

AirAsia has ordered 175 aircraft with an option of 50 more. Thus far, it has taken delivery of 56 aircraft and will take delivery of 14 and 24 aircraft this year and in 2010 respectively.

The budget airline is on an expansion trail even though many carriers globally including full service carriers are grounding aircraft on many of their routes in the current economic slowdown.

“We will continue to grow and launch new routes. Dhaka will be our next new launch route. We are also seeing growth from the corporate sector, a sector which is new to us,” Fernandes said.

Asked why AirAsia had a sale and leaseback arrangement with Doric for its last two aircraft deliveries and whether it would do similar arrangements for the current order of the 15 new Airbus A320-200 aircraft, Fernandes said: “Doric was a unique arrangement where there were clear tax advantages. Our aim is to own aircraft.’’