PDA

View Full Version : 206 L4 for differences training???

Hi Flyer
20th Feb 2009, 15:41
Can any one please advise as to the availability of a 206 L-4 together with operator details for differences training in the UK as soon as possible?

Would appreciate feedback on whether the CAA might give dispensation to fly the L-4 based on training in the L-3 given the lack of L-4's in the UK?

Many thanks.

PIC
20th Feb 2009, 16:04
Send me a PM

Hi Flyer
21st Feb 2009, 08:56
PIC - have PM'd you.

TunaSandwich
21st Feb 2009, 09:23
Aren't all L's under the same variant? therefore can be done on L3 or L4?

Hi Flyer
21st Feb 2009, 13:55
Tunasandwich

Aren't all L's under the same variant? therefore can be done on L3 or L4?

I thought the same but according to JAR FCL all L models require individual differences training which I can understand to a certain degree but where there are possibly only 2 UK registered L4's based in the UK it makes it difficult to source for training.

I'm not sure whether the CAA would provide dispensation based on lack of availability alone - probably not - but are there major differences between the L3 and L4 to warrant or justify the CAA's/JAA's case?

griffothefog
21st Feb 2009, 15:49
Can difference training on two Bell Longranger types not be a verbal sign off?

Hi Flyer
21st Feb 2009, 17:14
Griffothefrog

I hope so - that would make alot of sense! Thanks.

GoodGrief
21st Feb 2009, 19:06
All Jetrangers count as one variant, all Longrangers count as one variant EACH.
Meaning if you get your first type rating on a Jetranger and want to fly all Longrangers you need 4 more flight hours with Instructor (L, L1, L3, L4):ugh:

JAR–FCL 2.235 Type ratings – Privileges,
number and variants
[ ]
(a) Privileges. Subject to JAR-FCL 2.220[
][(a)] above, the privileges of the holder of a type
rating are to act as a pilot on the type of aircraft
specified in the rating.

(b)...

(c) Variants. If the variant has not been flown
within a period of 2 years following the differences
training, further differences training or a
proficiency check in that variant will be required.

(1) Differences training requires
additional knowledge and training on an
appropriate training device or helicopter. The
differences training shall be entered in the
pilot’s logbook or equivalent document and
signed by a TRI/SFI(H) or FI(H) as appropriate.

(2) Familiarisation training requires the
acquisition of additional knowledge.
This differences training shall be entered in the
pilot’s logbook or equivalent document and signed
by a TRI/SFI(H) or FI(H) as appropriate.

CYHeli
23rd Feb 2009, 01:25
I assume that this would also relate to the variants of AS350 (BA, B2, B3, etc).
Also I assume Hi Flyer that you have teed up one to fly, but is it not available for the check ride? If you are going somewhere else (even to the USA) then you would have to do a check ride in the actual aircraft to be flown and I would've thought and this could then cover the training.

Or are we getting into the differences b/n ICAO countries and what is covered or not. Here in Aus if you can fly a B206 you can fly any L model (Or if endorsed on an AS350 then any variant). There is no formal type training, but an operator would be stupid to just throw you the keys and say 'off ya go'. There would be a check ride or proficiency flight that would cover any required training. It also gives the owner/operator the chance to say 'thanks, but no thanks.'

GoodGrief
23rd Feb 2009, 05:19
There is two variants of the 350, the B3 and the rest of them.

Hi Flyer
23rd Feb 2009, 08:13
CYHELI

Also I assume Hi Flyer that you have teed up one to fly, but is it not available for the check ride?

Absolutely right - the a/c I will be flying is abroad (not in JAA land or with a JAA TRTO)

Torquetalk
23rd Feb 2009, 11:59
I thought the same but according to JAR FCL all L models require individual differences training which I can understand to a certain degree but where there are possibly only 2 UK registered L4's based in the UK it makes it difficult to source for training.

How have you reached this conclusion? With respect to an aircraft, the regs refer to Make, Model and Variant.

Make: Bell
Model: B206
Variant: Jetranger or Longranger

The Jetranger and the Longranger are variants of the B206, and the differences are important (start systems, fuel boost pumps, loading, AUW etc). Having to do extra training to go from a Longranger L to an L1 or L3 would make little sense. It is essentially the same aircraft. The minor differences should be covered in pre-flight planning for any given flight (performance, weight etc).

All Jetrangers count as one variant, all Longrangers count as one variant EACH.

Where does it say this? I'm reading the quoted regs and don't see such a narrow definition of "variant".

TT

nigelh
23rd Feb 2009, 12:26
I have 206 /206L on my licence ....doesnt that mean that i am covered for both incl ALL L variants ? Differences can be done without flying but need log book entry by a CFI ??
I also have Gazelle, AS 350, MD500 on it . My annual revalidation check ride can be done on ONE of these and will cover me for ALL of them for the next year ?? So i believe i can jump into a 206 L1 2 3 or 4 legally without a differences ....is that true ?

THIS is why i always keep my FAA licence valid . If i find i am unknowingly breaking CAA law i can still be legal on FAA law . With my FAA licence i can fly anything pretty much i like ,day or night . Bliss.

ps i know of an L4 you could use on the N.

GoodGrief
23rd Feb 2009, 13:02
@TT
Look at Lasors 2008, Section F, Appendix C, Page 48.

@Nigel

Look at my post #8
With the FAA you are covered, since we all know there are no type ratings below 5700kg or 12500 lbs. Take a look at above mentioned page 48.
If you want to fly an L4 and have only flown L3s in the last 24 months then you require a checkflight on an L4!

In JAA land it is different...

Torquetalk
23rd Feb 2009, 14:08
Good Grief

You are right. Think it's daft personally. Maybe doing the DT concurrent with or subsequent to an OPC or LPC is an efficient way to meet the requirement.

@griffothefrog

No. Check Lasors 2008. Differences Training requires a min of 1 hour flight training on the variant.

TT