PDA

View Full Version : My wife had her duty free removed by security!

Flock1
20th Feb 2009, 15:27
My wife and I were flying from Manchester to Vienna (via Zurich) earlier this week. Whilst in Manchester (after clearing all the security there) my wife decided to go shopping. She bought some perfume and a large bottle of Clinique stuff.

When we got to Zurich, the security officer said she couldn't take the Clinique through as it was more than 100ml.

My wife explained than she had just bought it from Manchester airport a couple of hours previously, and still had the receipt, but no, it wouldn't be allowed through. "This bag is not sealed," explained the officer. "You must give it to me."

So, here is my gripe. Why didn't the woman serving her at Manchester seal the bag? She checked my wife's boarding cards after all. I did notice that the bag was unsealed, but thought it was perhaps due to changes in security. After all, things change in these regards.

So what can we do? Do we stand a cat in hell's chance of recouping our loss? If so, what it the procedure?

Any help with this would be grateful.

Regards

Flock1

SkyToddler
20th Feb 2009, 16:26
http://i36.tinypic.com/24pwh11.jpg

Flock1
20th Feb 2009, 16:31
How old are you Skytoddler?

Oh yeah, 17. Makes sense!

CEJM
20th Feb 2009, 16:36
Damn Flock1, you replied before I did!! With his name and age you can expect that kind of replies.

Unfortunately as far as I am aware there is absolutely nothing you can do to recoup your loss. The bag should have been sealed when you made your purchase in Manchester.

Did the woman serving your wife inspect both boarding cards for both sectors? In general (down south) they ask if the destination on your boarding card is your final destination. If not, then they seal the bag.

SkyToddler
20th Feb 2009, 16:39
No need to hate coz i follow the rules.

boardingpass
20th Feb 2009, 16:58
Sorry to hear about your wife's loss, but I'm not at all surprised. When I fly as a pax from Europe to Oz, I might have to change through three or four airports, and I know I cannot buy any duty free liquids until having cleared the last security check at the last transfer airport. What someone says in Madrid is worth nothing to the security officer in Honkers. I suggest you and your wife do the same.

Load Toad
21st Feb 2009, 01:54
Similar thing occurred last year to my parents (edited - just checked it was 2007). Travelling from Manchester to HKG via Paris, dad bought spirits in MAN - the bag wasn't sealed, the purchases were confiscated in CDG. Father was less than impressed.

When they got back to Blighty they complained to the shop they bought the goods from explaining what had happened and providing the proof of purchase. They were reimbursed the full value of the goods.

So - give it a try.

Der absolute Hammer
21st Feb 2009, 04:48
The same thing happens when going from somewhere to anywhere else and transiting through Doha on (eish) Qatar Airways. Bag sealed or unsealed makes no difference even if stuff bought on previous Qatar Airline flight.
Treatment in keeping with awefulness in attitude of the airline-weep for their non local cabin staff.

morton.c.a
21st Feb 2009, 10:40
I had similar experience transiting through AMS in August '07 on a flight from DUB-AMS-DTW-MKC where I had a bottle of spirits, bought duty free in Dublin, sealed, receipt visible in bag. Having (I believe) not left the secure area in Amsterdam, I arrived at security for the next flight and had it confiscated. I could not understand this, but as I had only paid €10 for it, I did not argue over it. Interesting to see that it is quite widespread.

Flock1
23rd Feb 2009, 12:43
Will try to get our money back but I reckon I'll be banging my head against the wall.

Regards

Flock1

reynoldsno1
24th Feb 2009, 01:53
Same happened to me in transit at SYD when flying NZ to BKK. (no duty free on Qantas flight WLG-SYD) Moved 20m up the escaltor and I could buy as much duty free as I liked ....
Now, flying BKK-WLG on Qantas flight, I transitted SYD, and passing through security is a sign saying duty-free OK (duty free available on Qantas fliht BKK-SYD).
This has nothing to do with security - Qantas and SYD airport ring-fencing duty-free sales.

Double Zero
24th Feb 2009, 04:38
While I have to admit a sneaking feeling one is being a little naive taking duty free anywhere these days, there is always the strong suggestion that confiscated goods are rapidly recycled by security staff, who I'm sure are willing to take the chance at home as to whether it's malt whiskey or a demonic bomb !

If faced with such a situation, is there any chance of at least pouring the stuff away to deny them their perks ?!

Checklist Charlie
24th Feb 2009, 09:32
Saw that done at Melbourne with AUD3000 bottle of Grange Hermitage. As it was being confiscated after much obvious discussion, it slipped and broke on the floor. Those of us in the area that witnessed the shambles then collectively offered our thoughts to the security company managers (and police). A hundred or so passengers were threatened with arrest for afray, the response was suitable and equally audible.

Thank goodness we are being well protected (from a hangover:E)

boardingpass
24th Feb 2009, 09:48
I think the official line is that everything confiscated is destroyed. However, apart from the jobsworths in London, most security personal turn on common sense at the end of their duty and share the confiscated drinks, cosmetics and perfumes with their friends and families. I have personally seen the items being distributed amongst the state police at my airport.

Boss Raptor
24th Feb 2009, 09:53
In December I bought some items (not liquids) at LHR duty free travelling via Zurich and it was placed in a clear albeit LHR duty free logo'd bag and sealed - at Zurich I was told that is not in the 'correct' clear bag and you cant take it - wtf?!

Surficed to say I argued the toss and made them get me one of their clear bags to transfer my stuff into - they were somewhat bemused by my rather obvious solution - all this being said have found ZRH security to be on the whole very polite and very efficient

allthatglitters
24th Feb 2009, 11:55
To much hassle to carry he stuff around, and why would you be buying for the outbound leg, same hassle would have been bringing it when you return..
Better everyone can buy on there arrival at there final destination, then airline and the cabin crews loose.:rolleyes:

OFSO
24th Feb 2009, 13:12
My wife was refused permission at STN to carry tube of expensive face cream thru security, AND refused permission to go back and check case in as hold luggage, so she squeezed it out into security man's metal tray. He was not pleased. Still, better than his wife receiving an unexpected present that evening.

If anything is confiscated, surely we have the right to know it's been disposed of properly ?

Oh, sorry I forgot, it's the UK, we don't have any rights any more.

airborne_artist
24th Feb 2009, 15:41
The inconsistency of the liquids/stuff in tubes is crazy. BOH-GER - got to pay £0.50 for a ziplock bag for the toothpaste and shaving cream or you can't go through security....

GER-BOH (same airline etc) - no-one cares, but it's vital the case fits in the case-size checker, or the red-coated dwarf shouts at you. Not an issue when leaving BOH, of course :ugh: