PDA

View Full Version : When did fares start for babies on flights?

Married a Canadian
19th Feb 2009, 23:29
Trying to get back to the motherland in May from YYZ. I now have a young MAC junior (8 months old) to fly with me.

I was always under the impression that flying with babies under two was free (ie no charge for the infant)...if they were sitting on your lap for the flight. Then when they needed to sleep there were skycots available for the child if you were sitting in the front row. Having viewed the BA website...there is a fare involved!! Eh?
Air Canada ominously says "contact reservations!"

Have I been misinformed. Have babies always been included as a nominal fare...or were they once upon a time free.

Dosen't make sense to me if they are not taking up a seat?

cherrycoke
20th Feb 2009, 00:24
I recently booked a flight for my sister and her baby on easyJet, and was surprised when I called to add the baby that it would cost £20. Not that I mind. I'm not sure when this started but it makes sense for me. If I was running an airline I would charge for babies too. They do weigh something and add to fuel burn, as does does the extra luggage including pushchairs that people need when they are travelling with kids.

Hartington
20th Feb 2009, 00:38
The answer to the question is "always, except for many domestic routes"

Glamgirl
20th Feb 2009, 00:38
It's common practice to not charge a fare as such for infants, but the charges applies to taxes and fees (airport duty/security fee/fuel surcharge etc etc).

Hope this helps.

Gg

Ps. Please don't forget nappies, wet wipes, formula, nappy sacks, favourite (silent) toy, dummy and change of clothes....;)

Married a Canadian
20th Feb 2009, 02:38
Fair enough on all replies (although I don't buy that cos babies weigh "something" they add to the weight and fuel burn...if that were the case then there would be no argument on the obesity/flying question ie you are heavier..you pay more). Unbelievable that a baby is another tax source.

I guess I'd always thought it was whether or not you needed a seat for said child. On that note...if you were travelling with an oxygen cannister (for breathing issues)...which was too big to go anywhere but on a seat next to you..Would you get charged for that?

In response to

always, except for many domestic routes

I found that when flying Toronto to Halifax last year with the wee one there was no charge for that trip.

MAC

PS Glamgirl...some list to forget eh! Don't forget "passport" on that!

cwatters
20th Feb 2009, 07:42
Whole books are written in flying with babies.

When our twins were that young we found you couldn't rely on their being a cot available on the plane, let alone two. Perhaps things have improved/

Hartington
20th Feb 2009, 08:06
Toronto to Halifax is a domestic route (i.e. both airports are in Canada) and therefore fits my exception. PS the 10% fare does NOT entitle baby to a seat, if you want a seat you have to pay the child fare. Of course, if the flight is not full and you have an empty seat next to you using that seat will almost certainly be OK (but please ask the crew first).

Glamgirl, I don't know who you fly with but I suggest you check some fare rules. I admit that some charter operators may also allow babies free but the "IATA world" is generally 10% fare for babies.

boardingpass
20th Feb 2009, 16:55
You might be interested to see that Qantas is currently offering kids under 12 fly free when accompanied. Qantas Kids Fly Free International Sale (http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/sp/specials/nz/kids-fly-free-NZL)

lexxity
20th Feb 2009, 19:05
if you were travelling with an oxygen cannister (for breathing issues)...which was too big to go anywhere but on a seat next to you..Would you get charged for that?

On some carriers, yes.

FairlieFlyer
23rd Feb 2009, 04:39
If you think about it , there are extra requriements from cabin staff to make sure you and baby travel safely - from storing prams, heating brought on foods, carrying child if required while adult goes to toilet, seatbelt awareness, checking strapped in during turbulence etc etc - if anything they are more hassle than a typical passenger (father of two here)

yes, i also think its fair(fare?) to charge

Johnny F@rt Pants
23rd Feb 2009, 07:46
I thought that most airlines have always charged either a nominal fee, or 10% of the adult fare for infants, which I thought was ok. Having recently booked a holiday to Florida with Virgin though, they charged £149:eek: for the infant in the party, which is too much in my opinion:=.

Married a Canadian
23rd Feb 2009, 11:55
Interesting replies..thankyou.
I used to think it was always down to whether or not there was a seat allocated or not which determined the fare.

I disagree with the comment though about babies being "extra" work for the cabin crew...although it is only my opinion.
I'm sure a lot of CC wish that alot of their ruder passengers were as easy to deal with as a sleeping baby.

TightSlot
23rd Feb 2009, 12:11
There's a minor FA workload increase associated with babies - Bassinets up/down, turb checks, assorted baby equipment - but nothing in any way significant or indeed, not part of the job.

Workload can increase with other affected passengers when a one or more crying babies are keeping the cabin awake on a night sector. I usually try and offer help and chat to the parents, or carry the baby for a walkabout and change of scenery if the parents allow: It gives everybody, including the parents a time-out to draw breath and unscramble brains and ears. 99% of the time this works well - still leaves the 1% to worrry about though!

b737800capt06
26th Feb 2009, 10:44
If the children are British by birth, then an extra sum should be added.:ok:

Now I say this only because I have seen in the UK signs that read:

"Dogs allowed, no children".:eek:

Ahhhhhh the English.:}