PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Bowsers in UK

northen lad
19th Feb 2009, 11:25
Just wondering what are the current legal requirements for the transportation of jet A1 on the public highway? Do bowsers legally need to be bunded for example?

Any accurate advice would be appreciated, as Google dose not seem to be helping today!

Cheers!

dbickley
19th Feb 2009, 12:14
This is an extremely complex issue and very difficult to get a definitive answer. I recommend you book yourself onto a Dangerous Goods Driving Course - a company called Friendberry in West Country are v good but reasonable. Problem is the bowser has to comply with Aviation Law, Dangerous Goods Law (ADR), Environmental Law, Road Traffic Act and Trading Standards. Problem is very few people can advise on all these different requirements. For what its worth, this is what I found out - but don't take my word for it, check the facts yourself. Much depends on the size of bowser - If its capacity is 1000 litres or more, then you must be ADR qualified to drive it on the roads - it does not matter what quantity is actually carried. Exemptions under Limited Quantities do not apply. You must carry certain signs, equipment and your ADR licence and you will need information about the weight of your waggon train.

I took the point of view that we are actually carrying a lot of fairly nasty stuff so its wise to be conservative. If you have an accident whilst towing, YOU the driver will be the one prosecuted if you are not compliant.

Best people to talk to are VOSA in Swansea, talk to ADR section.

As regards bunding, few commercial tankers are bunded I believe, so I don't think its a requirement for the road, However it is a requirement under Environmental legislation that stationary bowsers inc those parked overnight should sit in a bund.

Hope this helps

bubbler
19th Feb 2009, 12:46
Im an ADR Instructor and DGSA, if you PM me the details of what you wish to do I will try and sort you out

TRC
19th Feb 2009, 13:03
Northern Lad

In addition to all the road-legal stuff, unless the bowser was originally made to carry Jet fuel you should be careful.

I had to break the bad news to somebody when they proudly announced that they had just bought a second-hand tank for jet fuel and had it re-galvanized. You can't use galvanized tanks or fittings with jet, along with quite a few other 'normal' industrial materials.

VfrpilotPB/2
19th Feb 2009, 23:32
Nothern Lad,

It is a must to first ask your insurence company will they cover you, you may find the line goes a little quiet, they are extremely nervous about this sort of movement, if they say yes, then prepare your self for the rule they will impose, most authorities will not really understand what you are asking, but if the ins cover you then ask the Local Fire Chief for his suggestions.

Bunded with a serious crash proof roll over system auto shut of air vents and recessed valves away from any road debris or possible strike, maximum to be towed will be 1000ltr, never park within 100ft of other parked vehicles and always try to have a second man when moving, Massive foam Fire Ex to cover the potential of a serious shunt when a leak could occur, + full leak kit and PIGS.
Towing vehicle should weigh at least 1000kgs more then gross weight of full bowser, then max tow speed 50MPH
I did it for a couple of years but found it became just too rule/insurance problematic.:ugh:

Good luck

Vfrpilotpb/2

TRC
20th Feb 2009, 09:20
Vfrpilot

You are correct about the rollover protection and special lid required but, unless the rules have changed recently, the max of 1000ltr and parking 100' away from anything else aren't right.

Under ADR you need a minimum of a 9kg powder or 9ltr foam extinguisher and a spill kit.

Choosing a parking place, from memory -

In a secure, manned vehicle park
In a secure vehicle park
In a place where traffic and the public are least busy
As out of the way as you can get itAlso the towing vehicle doesn't just have to be 1000kg heavier than the trailer - it needs to be rated by the manufacturer to tow the weight of the trailer. The best UK vehicles are LandRover products as they have (or had) the highest permitted trailer weights - 3500kgs.

I towed a 3300kg/2000ltr Jet A1 bowser legally for 15 years, until mid 2006 - full ADR. I must have been OK because I was given the third degree twice at DoT roadside checkpoints without problems.

I will repeat though - unless the rules have changed in the last 2 years.

VfrpilotPB/2
20th Feb 2009, 10:45
TRC,

the 100 ft was purely a safety margin I used, that was after being invited by some friendly Fire Bobbies to see what sort of "Boom" would be caused by 50 ltrs of many different types of fuel being "Accidentally " fired, to say the least on most carparks you would struggle to find 100ft of space, but I do take your point.

I used a Landrover Td5 that had the optional air suspension pack, that helped to control wander when pulling a single axled Bowser, and when pulling a twin axle with a greater cap it helped to stop the fluid surge when stopping.

Having said all this, just last week on the M11 a Volvo estate car passed me pulling a single axle bowser marked up "100LL" with no other signs visible ( however it could have been empty, but still a Bomb of immense power) I was travelling at about 65MPH, safety is a state of mind, which I fear the Volvo man hadnt yet switched on!!

Vfr

TRC
20th Feb 2009, 10:57
...on the M11 a Volvo estate car passed me pulling a single axle bowser marked up "100LL"

Well, what do you expect in Essex! Sounds like your Volvo was definately illegal. 100LL being 'Petroleum Spirit' is far more regulated than Jet, the vehicle should be 'Pet Regged' - dual conductor electrics (not earth return) etc, etc.

I get very annoyed at those operators who take no notice of the fuel regs on the road, as you know it costs quite a lot to do it right - those who don't seem to get away with it until it all goes wrong.

Quite pleased to be out of it now.

Hey ho......

HillerBee
20th Feb 2009, 17:05
I think you're driving with a huge bomb anyway, but how many accident have happened??

VfrpilotPB/2
20th Feb 2009, 22:08
Hiller,

You only need one, then people will sit up and start to think, and we all know thinking by some people is very Dangerous....:eek:

Vfr

northen lad
21st Feb 2009, 09:30
Hi thankyou all very much for the info!:D