View Full Version : Cathay to cull on 747 Classic Fleet

Kirks gusset
19th Feb 2009, 09:44
Grapevine say Cathay will lay off most of the 747 Classic guys as the fleet is to be grounded ahead of schedule, velly bad news! Lovely aircraft.. surely they can bring forward the 400 training for these guys, or is this just part of a bigger picture we are about to see?

skywaytoheaven
19th Feb 2009, 12:56
I think you'll find they will transfer those classic chaps to the -400, Cathay only chop from the bottom of the seniority list (except the 49ers case) Maybe only the FEs to go?

BitMoreRightRudder
20th Feb 2009, 07:38
I'm sorry, blatant thread creep here, I've heard of the Cathay 49ers - what exactly happened with those guys?

Conan The Barber
20th Feb 2009, 20:46
It seems all the Classics will be parked by September. I think it's around 40 crews that will be affected.

Arfur Dent
20th Feb 2009, 20:56
The plan to sell all but 2 Classics and run that 'Fleet' until 2012 was changed on Friday 13th!
New plan is to sell all of them by end of July this year. FE's to go and pilots will all be converted to -400 (max age 62). Some unpaid leave will be involved.
Work just not there I'm afraid.

Kirks gusset
20th Feb 2009, 23:03
Shame to hear that, but guess it was on the cards. Don't think unpaid leave will happen, much more likely they will find a way to cull the crews, albeit as subtle as a hole in the head.:=:= And the question is why keep the classic frieght guys when you have unified FOs coming through.. A fowl smell in the fragrant harbour!