PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Academy Prices

Chuckles666
19th Feb 2009, 07:06
Boys and Girls of pprune,

I have a little question that i need to ask. I have contacted the above avaiation school and they have told me that the introductory lesson (to see if i like flying) is 2390 AED. Is this a good price or to much let me know please.

It lasts one hour.

or any other places in UAE that i can do a introductory lesson.

Thanks

Simon

Scooby-Doo
19th Feb 2009, 07:22
I think that price is very expensive for a DISCOVERY FLIGHT. That equates to about USD$ 650.00, which is steep for a trial lesson. Even if it includes an hour of ground school and then an hour of flight time, it is still expensive. Check other places as well.

OMDB-PiLoT
19th Feb 2009, 07:30
LOL! It was about $100 in Australia! Does Horizon include a stripper and serve beer in their intro flight? Go to UAQ Aeroclub or Fujairah for a cheap 1hr flight.

SilveR5
19th Feb 2009, 07:40
Yes, surely this is expensive..

And one thing more...more expensive!!

The Ab-initio course price is USD 133,000...this doesn't include accomodation or test fees, or even transportation!!!:mad:
And hell you'll get the GCAA licence in the end!!

This amount of money can get you the JAA/EASA licence with 737/320 type rating

S.F.L.Y
19th Feb 2009, 11:03
Go to UAQ Aeroclub or Fujairah for a cheap 1hr flight.

you should know that Um Al Quwain Airclub is now administrated by Horizon (the whole airfield). And yes it is very expensive (maybe it includes some special insurance?)

OMDB-PiLoT
19th Feb 2009, 11:13
@S.F.L.Y: Really? Wasn't aware of that!! Hmm. When did this happen? I hope they do continue their skydiving.

John Miller
19th Feb 2009, 12:01
Unfortunately there's a well entrenched system of anti-competitive sentiment in the UAE. It reaches into every establishment that offers basic flight training. Moreover, there's almost no will whatsoever to encourage private aviation in the region, despite the considerable purchasing power amongst those that might take an interest.

One AOC with a pair of Cessna 172s wanted US$400 an hour for their use. The Cessnas sit mostly unused and now needing 'maintenance'.

The only exception is the Al Jazirah Aviation Club. Always a nice place to visit.

Bredrin
20th Feb 2009, 16:17
Horizon is ridiculously expensive and when you take into account that the planes and parts are tax/duty free (maybe 5% at the most) then it should equate to one of the cheapest flying schools in the world. Not to mention the cheap gas and that it's owned by the big Abu Dhabi investment machine. Then again...as was said before...there is no competition...RIP OFF!

S.F.L.Y
21st Feb 2009, 08:11
It would be the cheapest if they didn't have to pay back G1000 cessnas and pay expat salaries...

Bredrin
21st Feb 2009, 16:14
25,000 Aed more than decent schools in the USA. GREED, not expat salaries

Earl
22nd Feb 2009, 03:45
I think but not sure that you are talking about the Horizon in Al Ain.
If so take a look in the students parking area, cars are all very expensive, not like you would find in the real world where people drive beaters just to pay for ratings.
I do know some of the instructors there are very good experienced people, some ex Saudia.
They did get the best of the best, but Saudia remains far below industry standards when it comes to salary.
Horizon prices seem a bit on the high side.
Seen an ad in the papers here in the USA a few days ago, first lesson or introductory flight 50 USD,.
No,,,I don't work for Horizon., just in the local area for flying,,,but do know some of the instructors there and they are good professional people.