PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy: What's listed in an RAF service record?

Tim00
18th Feb 2009, 16:17
Hi folks,
Firstly, sorry if this should be in the mil forum, but I wasn't sure.

I'm thinking of applying for a copy of my father's RAF service record (as the only surviving next of kin), but am unsure of the kind of info that's recorded. Is it simply dates of squadrons etc. or would it cover 'personnel' type stuff too? I have a list of hours & types from his log book (wartime & later coastal-command nav, retired as Sqn Ldr) & a brief bio, which has some gaps. Sadly his wartime logbook was lost in an Officers' mess fire in Japan in 1947.

I'm just trying to avoid the service records people at Cranwell having to dig out stuff if I already know it all, if that makes any kind of sense?
Ta,
Tim.

chiglet
18th Feb 2009, 17:10
My "Record of Service" book contains any qualifications and awards [medals] obtained during Service. It also contains a write up on me...Character, demeanor etc.
Hope this helps

reynoldsno1
19th Feb 2009, 00:42
My father's RAF service record (1939-1960) was a mine of information - occupation before the war, next-of-kin, address, children (I found out about my half-brother through this), military detention during his pre-war service (still haven't found out why he spent a month in Aldershot!!), courses attended....
Shouldn't have to 'dig' out anything - I was sent colour photocopies of the original documents.

stevew62
21st Feb 2009, 16:03
Guys,

How do you get a "Record of Service" ? I'd like to get my Fathers. ( RAF '59 - '71 )

Thanks in Advance
Steve

mustpost
21st Feb 2009, 16:45
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/sar.pdf

Postfade
26th Feb 2009, 13:35
I applied in writing to the RAF Disclosures Room at RAF Cranwell about a month ago, seeking my father's record. I have now received a letter back with a form, as required under the data Protection Act. They need to know if I am the next of kin, which I am, but also require his death certificate, which of course I don't have. So I now have to go and get a copy of that to forward to them.
So I guess the proceedure should be, if seeking your fathers RAF record.
Send the form mentioned in the previous post and enclose your father's death certificate and proof that you are next of kin...oh plus a cheque for £30 made out to 'HMG Sub-Account 3627'.
Address is
RAF Disclosures Room 221b
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford NG34 8HB
Tel 01400 268167.

David Taylor.