PDA

View Full Version : Australasian Ferry flight

nz200lr
18th Feb 2009, 00:45
Hi all,
I've posted another similar thread in the questions section but thought I may get a few more responses here.
I am currently planning an aircraft ferry from Darwin, Australia, to the Camarines region in the Philippines. The aircraft is a Single engine turbine with fairly good range, could probably do the trip in 3-4 hops. I have not carried out any overseas operations before and have been tasked to find out more by my operator. I would appreciate any advice on routing, suitable landing points, documentation and anything else which may be helpful.

Regards

NZ200LR

littlehurcules
18th Feb 2009, 01:03
Talk to Jeppesen or proper ferry people before doing this alone ... experience counts

unless you want to risk it and see how it goes :}

apache
18th Feb 2009, 02:47
Documentation = a Fistful of greenbacks!

Section28- BE
18th Feb 2009, 07:33
Go the Dude (Do-Day)- Global in Denpassar.

Will take a lot of pain:eek: out of that part of the World.;);)

Rgds
S28- BE

Tmbstory
18th Feb 2009, 07:49
nz200l:

Would you and the aircraft be IFR rated?

Tmb

the wizard of auz
18th Feb 2009, 13:00
from makassar, head north to Manado (port of entry and exit) then head over to Cebu as your port of entry into the Philippines. they are all used to seeing ferry flights. it will make your life easier.
Be very careful that you have your paperwork in order when you go from East Timor into Kupang, they will be waiting to snag you. unless you go direct to Kupang of course. you will love the flight planning in Indonesia. :} make sure carry some $$$ as the airports in Indonesia are usually a long way from where you will end up staying.

LUCKY-1
18th Feb 2009, 21:19
Giday NZ, All excellent advice to date from folk far more qualified than I. Clamback & Hennessy from Bankstown Sydney do ****eloads of ferry from the USA etc and are quite approachable. Suggest they also worth a try. Do you need a good looking Aussie FO?

Good Luck & Regards Lucky

Ovation
18th Feb 2009, 22:45
There was a US registered Mooney ferried from there to OZ in 2006 piloted by it's owner, who had an "assisted" ferry. A USA ferry company did the tanking, groundwork and organisation etc., and it all went without a hitch for him.

You could talk to Darren from Australian Air Ferry who do a lot of ferries to/from here into Asia Pacific. AAF is far better organised and professional than anyone I've ever dealt with. Whether they'll do an "assisted" ferry is something you'll have to find out.

Hull Insurance probably won't be covered for flight outside of Australia, so that's another matter to consider.

nz200lr
19th Feb 2009, 02:26
Hi Tmb
Yes both myself and the aircraft are IFR rated. I'd assume that would be mandatory for such a flight?

the wizard of auz
19th Feb 2009, 02:36
Nope. not necessary. I have done several ferry's to Manilla. and they were all VFR. IFR is of course handy at this time of year though, but there are some pretty big hills over there, so you don't really want to go into a cloud if you can help it.

aseanaero
19th Feb 2009, 05:28
Keep in mind what happened to the last VH aircraft to turn up in Indonesia without the required paperwork

What happened to it ?

rjtjrt
19th Feb 2009, 06:26
I think Gippsland Aviation (GA) have done quite a few ferry flights in the area. I know of one of there ferry pilots who has taken both Fatman and Airvans to Asia as well as other areas.
GA may be able to put you in touch with him or have info themselves.

Ovation
19th Feb 2009, 06:32
Quote:
Keep in mind what happened to the last VH aircraft to turn up in Indonesia without the required paperwork

aseanaero wrote:

What happened to it ?

The pilot and passengers will get out of their Indonesian prison in about 2 years.

apache
19th Feb 2009, 08:09
can I get a lift NZAA-YSSY ?

please?

aseanaero
19th Feb 2009, 08:59
The five flew into Merauke's military base on September 12 and were promptly arrested for entering without visas.

The five have always maintained their trip to Papua was an honest mistake made after receiving incorrect advice that they could obtain tourist visas on arrival in the carefully guarded Indonesian province.

Hmmm , Papua and a military base , not a good combo for a foreigner without clearances.

I totally missed this in the papers and on tv here in Jakarta , I must have been traveling.

They will probably get out on the next round of Presidential pardons , I'll be surprised if they really spend 3 years in jail.

Aussies jailed for Papua visa breaches - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/15/2467000.htm)

We sold a 402C out of Halim last April which was ferried to Perth on the VH register and it took 2 days to get the clearances which also had to go to Defence HQ. We weren't even allowed to test fly the aircraft other than ground runs as the aircraft was on a military base and already off the PK to VH register so the test flight was Jakarta - Bali. From Bali straight to Oz coast to avoid hassles with getting avgas as you now have to pre-arrange avgas to be available at most airports and it's supplied in 200litre drums, what you dont use you still pay for.

aseanaero
19th Feb 2009, 09:07
Ahhh , you're flying a turbine , no problem with fuel

Caravan ?

Also add a few days just in case you find yourself cooling your heels somewhere , you may be lucky and have no problems , you may also get stuck for a few days while they 'find' your paperwork even if you have done everything right. Don't make things easy if you can make it difficult is the motto and whatever you do don't lose your temper.

Keep in mind that Makassar is Indonesia's main fighter base also ... SU-27s , SU-30s and F-16s

I'm trying to contact an air force colonel that I know (squadron commander) to see what the deal is for overflight and landing at various airports. When I get hold of him I'll do a post.

Personally I recommend you use a flight planning service to get all the clearances rather than trying to do it all yourself , could save a lot of headaches and you'll have some local back up from the service if something isn't going as it should.

Tmbstory
19th Feb 2009, 09:22
nz200lr:

The reason I asked about VFR or IFR was for terrain and navigation considerations. A possibile route would be either up the eastern or western side of the island of Borneo. You will get much advice about the way to go, my suggestion is to make your preparation thoughly and enjoy the flight. It is a good part of the world.
Regards

Tmb

the wizard of auz
19th Feb 2009, 10:21
Keep in mind that Makassar is Indonesia's main fighter base also ... SU-27s , SU-30s and F-16s
Indeed it is. And if you get in good with the General that is there at the time, you will get a thorough tour of the base. I did and it was awesome. I even did a couple of laps with the General in the C172 I was ferrying at the time. He had never seen an aircraft as small as the 172 and loved it. I had a very nice dinner with the guy that evening.........very nice indeed. :E

aseanaero
19th Feb 2009, 10:39
:)WizardofAuz

Were you going from Indo to Oz or the other way ?

Where did you cross from Australia to Indo ? Darwin - Kupang ?

The range of the 172 doesnt leave a lot of room for error I would have thought. Ferry tanks ?

When did you do the base tour at Makassar ?

I do 50% of my business with the Indo Air Force (mainly buying surplus) and they can be very hospitable but do have your paperwork in order. They have really cracked down on base access for foreigners since the crash of an air force S58T went down in Raiu province January last year with 9 Singaporeans (1 killed) on board which was doing an illegal charter. Now no security clearance from air force HQ no entry, period. You probably wouldn't get the tour now but most definitely the dinner would be on the cards .

Frynog
20th Feb 2009, 06:55
Now no security clearance from air force HQ no entry, period.

Hah! Someone should tell the Air force that :D

aseanaero
20th Feb 2009, 07:27
Hehe , not going to argue on the application of rules but i will say in my case personally it is being strictly enforced.

tail wheel
20th Feb 2009, 08:32
Don't waste your time and energy and risk "problems", contact Jeppeson Flight Following (http://cfs.jeppesen.com/public/content.jsp?id=aboutUs) to arrange the route and clearances.

nz200lr
21st Feb 2009, 13:52
Thanks for all your replys thus far guys, some great advice in there, all of which is most appreciated. The more prepared I can be for this thing the better!
Thanks to those keen to lend a hand and their time as a co-pilot! Unfortunately there are already 2 crew members to be on board for the op so no positions going sorry!
I would love to hear more about doing the flight VFR as that may be a possibility. And for those wondering the aircraft is a C208B.

Keep the replys rolling in!
Cheers

nz200lr