PDA

View Full Version : Marshalls move...

Guzlin Adnams
17th Feb 2009, 22:04
Cambridge News Home - Legal problems stifle Marshall's RAF move (http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=391489)
Looks like Mildenhall will be a no-go. There were three plans for a prospective move to Mildy and one to Wyton. With the plans to relocate Brampton to Wyton I'm wondering if Alconbury will get a second look....or....Colt, now there's a prospect. Forget Honington, buildings now on the ASP. :hmm:

BluntM8
17th Feb 2009, 23:05
I'm not sure Wyton will have the ramp space that Marshalls may need. There isn't much there at all, IIRC.

Shannon volmet
18th Feb 2009, 07:12
Just found this on the local rag web-site.

Legal problems stifle Marshall's RAF move
[email protected]
PLANS to relocate one of the city's biggest employers to a Suffolk air base have hit the buffers after the move was blocked by defence chiefs.

Marshall was set to move its aerospace division to RAF Mildenhall - freeing up land for a 12,000-home development on the eastern edge of Cambridge on the site of the city's airport.

But the Ministry of Defence has announced the proposed move is off after it was unable to overcome "legal, financial and commercial" problems.

John Watkins, senior executive for special projects at Marshall Aerospace, was disappointed the move broke down.

"We have put a great deal of effort into looking at RAF Mildenhall at a very significant cost," he said.

"We still believe relocation to RAF Mildenhall is a good option for the vast majority of stakeholders. We would still be keen to develop the relocation plans if there is a change in circumstances. It means we will need to revisit other options for the aerospace business. However, Marshall Aerospace is looking with great energy to continue the operations which are going on presently."

The firm will now revive plans to relocate to other nearby air bases, such as RAF Wyton and RAF Alconbury, although the latter is now being considered as a site for thousands of new houses.

The MoD announcement has derailed the Cambridge East Area Action Plan, which requires the Marshall-owned Cambridge Airport for its ambitious home-building plans.

The scheme was given the go-ahead by a Government inspector in December and is a key part of plans to build an extra 47,500 homes in Cambridgeshire by 2016.

Alex Plant, chief executive of Cambridgeshire Horizons, said: "There are other relocation sites under consideration and we will now work closely with our local authority partners, the Government, and Marshall as a matter of urgency to progress this complex, but exciting project."

David Olney, chief operating officer of Defence Estates said: "Relocation adjacent to RAF Mildenhall with use of its runway facilities was always a complex option with unique issues, and all parties involved, including the USAF, have worked closely to try to achieve its delivery."

There was also disappointment from Forest Heath District Council, which is keen to attract the aerospace firm to the area.

A spokesman said: "It remains our belief that a move to Forest Heath and Mildenhall by Marshall Aerospace will benefit both the district and the company and we will do our best to make it happen."

Published: 17/02/2009

I wonder just what exactly these legal problems are?

Pen Pusher
18th Feb 2009, 07:26
The original Marshalls plan for Wyton was to set up a brand new site north of the runway, next to the A141.

BBC Web (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7895927.stm)

Brian

chopper2004
18th Feb 2009, 07:46
Marshalls moving to Mildenhall idea always sounded very odd to me, considering active AMC/USAFE/AFSOC base and a civil MRO and flight ops company moving in and around its space.

In theory the commonality of the C-130 support, maintenance and flight operations complement each other from both organisations, as well as Marshalls expertise on AAR could be an asset to the USAF but more on the HC-130/MC-130 front
One time in the 80s/90s, the C-20 fleet from Ramstein used to pop into Marshalls for wash and clean up and probably some minor maintenance work.

On the minus side, there's security issues, unfortunately its not similar to say civil airport in USA such as Portland IAP, Klamath Falls, Dallas FW, Phoenix Sky Harbor or Harrisburg IAP, that have ANG/AFRC units operating one side of the airfield with the run of the mill F-16/F-15/C-130/KC-135 in a small secure area but we're talking a fully active 24/7 base which is the link and support in and between the major commands and theaters of operation, so it would be slightly difficult to integrate Marshalls within Mildenhall's infrastructure.

Not sure about Alconbury, again an active base not flying but very active in support of JAC Molesworth, Fairford, Menwith Hill, Croughton, Sola/Stavanger and any other facilities. Then again one side of the facility is a semi industrial estate so maybe the use of the runways and old hangars, and re open the control tower, Marshalls could in theory move there.

Wyton wouldnt be much of a problem, they operated heavy multi engine for years, and up to 90s, operated 51 Sqn with Nimrod R.1. Runway probably handle the odd 747 such as the BA 747-400 going in there on/off in the 90s. Advantageous to the Lyneham residents for maintenance support as most of the Herks can be seen flying over this area, for exercises or general ash and trash hauls across the globe.

Looking at the pan here, when I do go flying in my Robbo, theres mainly Herks, occasional twin props narrow regional and narrowbodies, lots of corporate a/c, Netjets, Marshall Executive Aviation and private owners alike then there's the flying clubs and my flight school plus others. So on average, 20-30 a/c on the ramp and potentially Wyton could handle it.

However there's an assumption that Marshalls will move when they feel like moving and sure as anything won't move with pressure from local government.. What makes and says what goes on in my hometown with those being the university and Marshalls and with the former, the science park(s).

andyy
18th Feb 2009, 08:43
St Athan? What did happen to Project Red Dragon?

SALAD DODGER
18th Feb 2009, 09:12
How about Lyneham? Could the RAF share the running costs and keep it open as a herc base?

GeeRam
18th Feb 2009, 09:16
That's right, north of the runway, taking in part of the old Bloodhound site. Would have little impact on the rest of the Wyton site.

Unless the additional aircraft movements with Marshall's being there wasn't part of the plan for the new £120m facility that's being built there......:hmm:

Shannon volmet
18th Feb 2009, 09:40
Rumours have been flying about locally here for a long time that the USAF intend to leave Mildenhall in the not too distant future, so this would leave Mildenhall vacant and an ideal site for Marshalls to move into.

So if the rumours are true, what legal problems would prevent the move? As I understand it, Mildenhall is MOD property, and Marshalls are a major MOD contractor.

Sook
18th Feb 2009, 09:58
With the centralisation of AT at Brize, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a greater Marshall presence there in the future.

I doubt anything will happen until someone agrees to stump up some cash to build all the hangars required. They'd also have to consider the fact that most of the workforce wouldn't be too keen on moving to somewhere like Lyneham!

Evanelpus
18th Feb 2009, 10:08
I would imagine Marshalls wouldn't want to move too far from Cambridge because, I guess, most of the workforce live in the Cambridge catchment area.

Madbob
18th Feb 2009, 12:10
What about Duxford? The runway could be extended westwards, a whole new technical site built on the southern perimeter without affecting the IWM. The additional aircraft movements would be pretty minimal, the IWM would get some useful rent and the employees would not have to re-locate.

Sale of the existing aerodrome would offset the re-location costs for Marshalls and they might even be able to retain their design office/ management offices etc. on part of their present site.

Finally, the existing GA operators could possibly still survive a short move and private owners won't be left with nowhere to go.....

All in all, a no-brainer!!

MB

Arclite01
18th Feb 2009, 12:22
Lakenheath then ??

Actually - What is tying them to east Anglia at all ???

Arc

Sideshow Bob
18th Feb 2009, 13:23
Marshalls have already moved some personel to Brize, mainly to deal with Tristar spares though. The one big thing is that where ever they move to, it will have to be strong enough to take a Tristar, even at cambridge you can't get out at much more than 140T.

aw ditor
18th Feb 2009, 14:55
My guess as a Cambridgeshire rate-payer and having some knowledge of Marshalls',: it won't happen for at least ten years if then. The developers at the old and nearby RAF Oakington site have delayed their start date by at least a year due to the financial situation and thats' a 10,000 plus house site before they even think of starting at Marshalls. The associated guided bus project is allegedly £30 Million over budget. No mortgages, no credit ........... The regional planners can plan till they are blue in the face but if the money isn't forthcoming, it won't happen.

hello1
18th Feb 2009, 19:37
Wonder what those "legal, financial and commercial" reasons were and what they had to do with the MOD - or did Marshalls expect the taxpayer to foot the bill for their relocation whilst Mr Marshall made a fortune from flogging the Cambridge site?