PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Harry..

Mungo5
17th Feb 2009, 21:16
Prince Harry Fails his first Flying Exam at RAF | Prince Harry Unofficial Fan Site (http://www.princeharry.co.uk/index.php/princeharry/prince-harry-fails-his-first-flying-exam-at-raf/)

Not seen it on any of the other rags yet.. not sure if it's genuine. Poor chap.

wg13_dummy
17th Feb 2009, 21:25
It was all over the rags at the weekend (more of a headline than the 3 R Sigs lads killed in an RTC and more important than another KIA in Afghanistan).

Non story and it aint exactly 'news'. Big deal, he bombed a groundschool paper? If anything, it demonstrates he's not being given a free ride through the course.

Mungo5
17th Feb 2009, 22:58
it demonstrates he's not being given a free ride through the course

Clever, very clever... I like the thinking behind that.

wg13_dummy
17th Feb 2009, 23:05
Whoaa, I wasn't suggesting he 'failed' on purpose to make him look like a normal person! He failed the paper because;

1. He's human
2. He wasn't sharp enough to get the paper from the previous course. ;)

BluntM8
17th Feb 2009, 23:10
Excellent news for Harry, I would suggest. Failing Crit Point 1 isn't the end of the world by any means, and he can now prove that he is actually being assessed rather than mollycoddled through the cse.

Having encountered his older brother several times through flying training I can vouch for the fact that Wills was properly assessed for all his trips, and ran every risk of failing them. He was treated pretty much the same as any of the other students. I was there for his first solo drinks and saw him do his mucky pint as the rest of his course serenaded him with "Why was he born so beautiful?" :E I also saw him making brew for his instructors more than once! I wish him the best of luck on the SAR force.

Blunty

Dan Winterland
17th Feb 2009, 23:24
3. He was in the bar until closing.

That was the usual reason for my failed exams!

Runaway Gun
18th Feb 2009, 05:53
4. He wasn't in the bar until closing.

That was the usual reason for MY failed exams :)

charliegolf
18th Feb 2009, 07:55
5. The expected Art question didn't come up this year, so his phone a friend teacher was no use.

...... it's a joke:ok:

anotherthing
18th Feb 2009, 08:49
6. He's actually quite thick...

Good on him though and good luck to him, at least he's giving it a go

Mister-T
18th Feb 2009, 09:04
7. He hasnt been introduced to the subtle art of cheating ;)

busdriver02
18th Feb 2009, 09:14
OH MY GOD a pilot training student failed his first checkride! This is NEWS!!

FIDO.

rej
18th Feb 2009, 12:55
or maybe he was revising for his remedial EO training !!

I agree with wg13_dummy; this is not headline news. When will our media put things into context:ugh:

rogerk
18th Feb 2009, 13:52
Come on he has 5 minutes in the air and the press are already saying he is a waste of space.

I think Dad had many hours under his seat but was still capable of parking the odd BAe 146 sideways in the grass !!

Low Flier
18th Feb 2009, 17:55
Dad had many hours under his seat but was still capable of parking the odd BAe 146 sideways in the grass

Frontyways, not sideyways.

'Twas a steep&cheerful downwind approach at unsensibly brisk speed to a shortish and notably wet runway.

The spot in the putty just off the downwind end of that runway where he buried mum's jet up to its oxters is still known locally as Holding Point Charlie.

Don't blame the genes, even if they are wingnut's and not Hewitt's.

BEagle
18th Feb 2009, 18:57
The press article reports that HRH failed
a theory-based flying test

Does that really mean he failed one of those very elementary 'Janet and John Learn to Fly' groundschool exams?

Remind me again, just what are his educational qualifications?

Biggus
18th Feb 2009, 19:18
Minimal - and supposedly subject to debate...

BBC NEWS | Education | Prince Harry's A-level results (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3150649.stm)

Teacher says Prince Harry's A-level art 'not own work' - Education News, Education - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/teacher-says-prince-harrys-alevel-art-not-own-work-490156.html)

Molesworth Hold
18th Feb 2009, 19:20
Remind me again, just what are his educational qualifications?

"Education could go hang as long as a boy could hit a six, sing the school song very loud, and take a hot crumpet from behind without blubbing."

Lt George, Blackadder Goes Forth

JTIDS
18th Feb 2009, 19:49
Sticking the answers to the ceiling works well... unless of course they fall off half way through the exam...

hungryhorse
18th Feb 2009, 20:15
Ha ha! Happy memories (for most in the room) - seem to remember the met man didn't forecast that falling from the ceiling!

JTIDS
18th Feb 2009, 20:47
I still deny everything...

Still ended up doing the course again though...

amb_211085
18th Feb 2009, 21:34
We did wonder why the instructors would look at the ceiling before all the groundschool exams!

Faithless
20th Feb 2009, 21:24
For fcuks sake leave the bloke alone :*....He gets a rough ride from the press.
Remember, he's one of us and he plays hard...and gets a grilling for it...

Best of luck Ginger bloke.

parabellum
20th Feb 2009, 23:25
Just wondering if it is still the same. When I went through Wallop we had to sit the Command Examination Board, (CEB) exams possibly during the initial 65 hours Chipmunk or possibly before the end of basic rotary, they were set by the RAF and covered Nav, Met, Airmanship, Theory of Flight etc. Would it be one of these that he dipped? A couple did on our course, just one paper, a zero drama re-sit on a Saturday morning! Who told the press anyway?

KeepItTidy
21st Feb 2009, 00:19
For you pilots out there this may seem a melodrama but I thought you guys were chosen for most skills at school , I done pretty well at school but was not able to be a pilot due to eyesight . Thats my story and moan gone but am I correct if you dont cut the mustard you are out , maybe a second chance but thats it . For all Aviators out there I just hope no exceptions will be made to make royalty no different to public. I just think on this occasion exceptions will be made for a king to be, kinda sucks and makes us all feel like ****ty low life mongs

johnriketes
21st Feb 2009, 04:43
Reminds me of a time when, a quite famous peacetime military aviator, went back to school to bone up for the UK CAA ATPL exams. He managed to complete with success on the third sitting.

One of his instructors said at bar and I quote, "It just goes to show, you can teach a monkey to ride a bike but very difficult to teach it to read road signs" :}

Do you think that is the case wiv 'arry then?:sad:

thegypsy
21st Feb 2009, 06:42
BEagle

We all know you are a bit of a smart a**e. Most Pilots who joined the RAF and did not go through Cranwell only had to have 5 'O' levels in your day.

BEagle
21st Feb 2009, 08:24
Yes, but they had to include Elementary Mathematics, English Language, a language or a science and two others......

CEB exams were 'essay style' - not multi-guess 'Janet and John Learn to Fly' tick-the-box 'exams'.

Pontius Navigator
21st Feb 2009, 09:12
KeepitTidy, I see what you think but generally the ground school elements are not pass-fail-out. U/T pilots are there because they met the basic academic requirements and have demonstrated an aptitude for flying.

Given the shortage of suitably qualified, medically fit, applicants with leadership skills and an aptitude to fly you will not wash out for a single, first-time, exam failure.

You will wash out if you make no effort to redress any failures, ground or air. Later you will wash out if your aptitude is actually lower than supposed but most likely because of a lack of capacity to handle multiple inputs leading to low situational awareness. This usually occurs when training moves to an advanced phase.

People are given some remedial training if this is necessary.