PDA

View Full Version : relocating to australia

aviator001
17th Feb 2009, 18:18
hi guys. i am a B1 and B2 engineer, type rated. i am researching the possibility of moving to australia on a working visa. i have been looking up the possibility of having a pre-arranged job with qantas and a sponsored visa with them, so far i have returned no results. has anyone out there even done this before??!! and if so how do i go about it.. i have tried the airliner websites and visa companies but to no avail.. any help or guidance would be appreciated, thanks. :ok:

subsonic69
18th Feb 2009, 06:56
try going to John Holland Aviation Services (http://www.jhas.com.au)

go to careers and fill out the expression of interests link.. Most probably you'll receive a reply within a week or two ...

that is if the aviation (MRO) sector in Australia has not been drastically affected by the recession happening worldwide.

and maybe hoping to work with you there in the future.:ok:

Brown Bess
18th Feb 2009, 20:17
I went over there in 1989 when they took on 100 Brits and 150 Irish I lasted 13 months, couldn't stand it. I went with 5 type licences and was on the lowest Mech grade starting, it took 13 months to get regraded to the top mech grade, at which time I'd left. During this time I had been slowly taking the 12 licence exams to get back to the position I was when I arrived. Left and was welcomed with open arms to Air Europe at Lgw. Don't expect to much, but if your prepared to swallow your pride for a new life and take a driving test again! go for it

Connaught
22nd Feb 2009, 12:39
yeah aviator Aus is funny like that, qantas and virgin are the same , they will hire you and pay you as an unlicensed guy until a 'licensed' position opens up, and at virgin blue pays their ame's about 60k a year i think, not enough for me and my family

i came from Canada with a canadian license and no one was interested in me until i got the Australian license, even companies operating aircraft i was endorsed on and new well

as far as anyone looking to 'sponsor' a foriegner, i have no idea though i agree john holland or forestaff (sp?)would be the best bets for that

good luck

aviator001
2nd Mar 2009, 20:37
so, if a fella was to go over there and convert his licence what are the possibilities of getting a licenced line position.. i dont want to go next or near to check maintenance, it is like a sentence.. is it just a matter of handing in your easa licence and picking up an ox licence does anyone know.. cheers lads..

rmm
3rd Mar 2009, 01:32
I don't like your chances in the current economic climate. Even in the good times direct entry to a line environment (airline that is) would be slim.

Qantas - You need to do time in the hangar and then move on. Could be several years.
Jetstar - Possible if you have A320 but you'd be up against a few locals.
Virgin - All line work, no heavy. You'd be on permanent nights if you got in.

Cheers,
Rmm

gubaclagan
3rd Mar 2009, 03:31
Try opening up website: www.iasaglobal.com (http://www.iasaglobal.com) and look for Mr. Mario Fialho or Mr. Tom Beamon. Good Luck!:ok:

Splitpin44
3rd Mar 2009, 13:08
what are the possibilities of getting a licenced line position.. i dont want to go next or near to check maintenance

Hate to be the bringer of bad news but, you and just about every other LAME in Australia are thinking the same thing! Best take a number and wait in line for a very long time. If your really that keen.