PDA

View Full Version : Writing a Pilot Resume

SM227
17th Feb 2009, 07:08
Hi,

I would have thought that this would have been covered before but search didn’t provide many results, so sorry if there are already threads.

I am trying to write a resume but I want to obviously do it the right way.
From what I've found I gather that I should have an accompanying letter, a 1 to 2 page summary of flying related qualifications/experience and then a 'normal' resume listing more personal qualities.

How exactly should each be set out, and what exactly is a CV? Just another name for resume??

Thanks for your help....

Capt Fathom
17th Feb 2009, 08:04
Mummy........:{

ravan
17th Feb 2009, 08:16
CV (curriculum vitae) - brief account of one's previous career;
Resume - a summary (particularly of one's CV)
-Concise Oxford Dictionary

From what you describe I would think that you are talking of a CV. The sort of thing containing lots of details of who you are and what you've done and which you might take to an interview.

A resume should be kept to a page (or 2 at the most), kept simple and list only infromation relevant to the position (being vice captain of the grade 3 soccer team doesn't seem to turn on those who hire pilots:)). It can be accompanied by a short covering letter but be wary of trying to cram too much information onto too many pages of your resume. If it looks too hard to read it will end up in the "big round filing cabinet" never to be seen again.

A concise, simple resume followed by a phone call or e-mail will do more to get you the interview than posting off a CV that uses reams of paper to try to convince your prospective employer.

Also, try Googling CV and resume. You'll be surprised at the amount of useful information you can find.

airaholic
17th Feb 2009, 10:34
A 2 pager is all you need. Just a quick summery of your flying and contact details. eg first page, name address,DOB, contact details, TT, types you have time on, endorsments rating etc, in some sort of list format. Secound page references (at least 2 relevent ones, ie CFI, previous employer, not your mum etc) Chances are they will never check them.

Plus a quick cover letter introducing yourself with breif details of what you have been up to recently, a speil on how much you want to work for said company and when you can start.

It probably goes against the grain from what you have lernt in School but in Aviation things are different.

Good luck

AvEnthusiast
17th Feb 2009, 11:44
Interested to see a format of pilot CV. any links?

Buster Hyman
17th Feb 2009, 11:53
To whom it may concern.

I'm a Pilot. Do you like my watch?

Kind regards,

xxxx xxxxxxxxxx

:p

smiling monkey
17th Feb 2009, 12:09
Google is your friend. :)

pilot resume - Google Search (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=active&q=pilot+resume&btnG=Search&meta=)

Pilotette
17th Feb 2009, 19:26
There are some good examples and some useful information here:
http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/334900-new-cpl-first-resume.html
:ok: P

j3pipercub
18th Feb 2009, 00:01
Buster, good but missing one point

'do you like my watch and can I flie your playne'

flog
18th Feb 2009, 00:11
I had a look in the other thread as well but couldn't find anything like this...

As a pilot trying for a first job, but having actually worked in another industry for the past 15 years, how far should I go on the resume in terms of "Other skills / experience"?

E.g. I've got a couple of degrees, worked OS for years, consulted, trained, managed projects, managed people, etc., etc. How much does a prospective employer care and how much should I crap on about it?

Cheers,
Flog.

edit: j3 - Almost, it should be 'do you like my watch and can I flie ur playne'

Towering Q
18th Feb 2009, 00:32
Just make sure your CV doesn't become "resume of the week" and get pinned to the crew room door.:E

j3pipercub
18th Feb 2009, 01:03
flog, thanks for the edit, the sepellin always gets me

Buster Hyman
18th Feb 2009, 01:45
Perhaps;

How much do I have to pay to fly your plane?

Mach E Avelli
18th Feb 2009, 01:47
New CPL - one page. Any more means you are padding it. Ditto very large type face, front covers and plastic binders - all a waste of good trees and petrochemicals.

10,000 or more hours with several jobs behind you - two pages.

Avoid the pretty picture with wings and gold bars prominently displayed. This is an ego-alert. Ditto posing in the Cessna or lounging all over the Corvette with some babe sitting on your face. Double ego-alert At the most, attach a standard passport photo of head and shoulders wearing a plain white shirt.

Don't bull**** with hours and experience. If you have not flown a type in command, don't disguise co-pilot or dual hours to look like command. By all means list ICUS as what it is - ICUS.

Be prepared to tailor the c.v. to the job. If it's out in the bush and you have done some work mustering or scenic flying in woop-woop make mention of that. If instructing is part of the deal on offer with a bit of charter on the side, make a real point of how much you enjoy instructing because you know that's mostly what they want you for.