PDA

View Full Version : bored? ......

hobie
23rd Feb 2002, 23:29
if you are in the U.K. or Ireland tonight and get a chance, have a look at Channel 4 (TV) at 20.05hrs ...... a story about some very brave Aviators in the late 60's ...........

PorcoRosso
23rd Feb 2002, 23:51
I gues you are mentionning the Report about those pilots flying during the Biafra Crisis , are you ?

S***t ! No Channel 4 in this side of the channel !

forget
24th Feb 2002, 01:11
Any idea what the late 50's vintage aircraft with Ram's Horn controls was?

hobie
24th Feb 2002, 02:40
PorcoRosso ..... spot on !

newswatcher
25th Feb 2002, 14:23
What an excellent programme, and how unassuming the pilots being interviewed. Interesting to listen to Frederick Forsyth's comments. This effort made some 5000 flights and lost 17 pilots.

How arrogant was General Gowan in his broadcast comments that, because of the airlift, Biafra took longer to overcome, and therefore the air bridge, rather than saving lives, actually caused more deaths!

Forget - most of the Joint Church Aid aircraft were L1049H Connies. These were supplemented by DC6s, C46s, and 4xC97 Stratofreighters from the US.

forget
25th Feb 2002, 15:11
Newswatcher - the aircraft you rightly mention, Connies, DC6s, C46s, and C97's were all, so far as I know, equipped with standard control wheels. What got my attention was the short clip of a large flight-deck with Ram's Horns controls - and I'm baffled. The only aircraft I know with Ram's Horns are the 125 series, Trident and Concorde, not sure about the Belfast??? I don't know of any US aircraft, if that's what it was, with Ram's Horns - anybody???