PDA

View Full Version : ERSA

solowflyer
16th Feb 2009, 04:25
Is it OK to use the latest ersa in lue of the current one, even though the new one says effective in March, or should it stay in the flight bag and just use the current one till the effective date comes up for the new one?

Death Pencil
16th Feb 2009, 04:48
use the current one till the effective date comes up for the new one
:ok:

Some rules / changes may not come into effect straight away.

solowflyer
16th Feb 2009, 04:58
That's what I'm thinking as well but know several people that will toss out the old one as soon as the new one arrives.

tipsy2
16th Feb 2009, 05:12
toss out the old one as soon as the new one arrives.

Then somebody needs to revisit how to do amendments then, wouldn't you say.

If that is the way things are taught these days, heaven help us.

:=

VH-XXX
16th Feb 2009, 05:48
Be very careful doing that! I got caught out once with my VNC not realising it was TOO current.

I tried to call Centre, but couldn't get them. When I tried the known good previous sector frequency they said to check the currency of my VNC to which I replied saying it was brand new so it had to be current, with a response that it was too current!

bentleg
16th Feb 2009, 05:57
Is it OK to use the latest ersa in lue of the current one, even though the new one says effective in March, or should it stay in the flight bag and just use the current one till the effective date comes up for the new one?

The front cover says "Effective 12 March 2009". Therefore, by definition, it is not in effect prior to 12 March. 12 March is the day you should start using it, not before.

As mentioned there may be frequency (or other) changes effective on 12 March and you could get caught out. Why risk it?

morno
17th Feb 2009, 00:28
What, do you think they just print a pretty "Effective Date" on the front for good looks? :hmm:

Can you let us know where these people are that apparently just chuck the new one's in when they get them? That way we know where not to fly for the next 3 weeks.

I just struggle sometimes, to understand how people are becoming more and more uneducated. What is so hard to understand about having an "Effective Date"?? :ugh:

Rant over, I've got the ****s with stupidity.

morno

solowflyer
17th Feb 2009, 01:05
I always used publications within the correct date however thought I was missing out on something when advised to use the new one the other day after someone flogged my current one.

PS I have the current one back now.

morno
17th Feb 2009, 01:35
Not sure of the Reference (I can never find the proper reference using the AIP online), but it's 1600hrs UTC on the date before the one nominated as the Effective Date.

Eg. if it's effective date is the 12th of March, it becomes effective at 1600hrs UTC on the 11th of March (which is 0200 Local, AEST on the 12th).

Now even I will admit that I had to look that one up, :ok:.

morno

triton140
17th Feb 2009, 01:49
AIP GEN 3.1, para 4:

Documents and charts issued in accordance with the AIRAC cycle
become effective at 1600 hours UTC on the day prior to the
nominated date unless otherwise notified; eg, a document with an
AIRAC date 26 Jun becomes effective 06251600UTC (ie, during
Australian Eastern Standard Time, becomes effective at 0200
hours local on 26 Jun).

EDIT: Beaten!

AerocatS2A
17th Feb 2009, 08:51
I always used publications within the correct date however thought I was missing out on something when advised to use the new one the other day after someone flogged my current one.
Well if you have a choice between using none at all and using one that's too current then you're probably better off using the wrong one rather than nothing. That doesn't make it ok though, you're just choosing the best of two bad options.