PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN PPL Scholarship...

preduk
15th Feb 2009, 20:42
Hi all,

Does anyone have much information on the selection process for the GAPAN PPL Scholarship? I understand there is an interview on the 16th/17th of July in London which is followed by a aptitude and ability test, is the test the full GAPAN test or does it cover something else?

Just looking for some basic details on what to expect on the days.

Mach086
16th Feb 2009, 08:09
Sounds very interesting. i think i would apply for this as I'm sure it won't do your CV any harm if it showed you were awarded a GAPAN scholarship.

I must admit though that I am slighly concerned - if at the interview they asked your aspirations and I were to say that straight after the PPL (if successful) I will embark on the full fATPL course, they might assume that I obviously have the money so why should they give me a scholarship when they could give it to someone they suspect can't afford it.

Fair enough, the guidance note does say "Will be awarded on merit". - therefore that means that you should not be at a disadvantage if you came in wearing a Saville Row suit! Can any insiders comment on this?

Would I be wasting my time if I mentioned that I plan to go straight onto the fATPL hence I am proving I have more than enough money to pay for a PPL?

JamesTigris
19th Feb 2009, 16:54
As a past GAPAN Scholarship winner I cannot recommend them highly enough. You certainly will get a lot out of it and it is a great deal more than simply "not bad on the CV".

The best advice I can give for the assessment centre is to treat it like a job interview. Competition is tough so pitch up on time and smart. Once you're there just relax and be honest. If you want to go and do your ATPL then tell them exactly that.

Best of luck to all that apply.

As for the testing, unless they have changed things recently only candidates for the ATPL Scholarship are required to go to Cranwell and do the full battery of tests.

preduk
19th Feb 2009, 20:32
Hi James,

Are you saying that its ONLY an interview on the day?

JamesTigris
20th Feb 2009, 16:56
I would recommend contacting the Guild if you want accurate information on the details of this year's selection process.

It was not just an interview on the day I attended, there was aptitude testing as well (but not the HM Forces set of computerised tests).

But what was for me, may not be for you.

Richie82
20th Feb 2009, 18:17
I would love to know how the GAPAN guys pick out their candidates. I applied two years in a row before deciding to stump up the cash myself. Didn't even get to interview, despite having (in my opinion anyway!) a pretty decent case.

Is there anybody out there who has been given anything by these guys? I'd be interested to find out the kind of things you had on your c.v

LUKE123
2nd Apr 2009, 13:03
Having just sent off my application for a ppl sponsorship, just wondering if any past applicants had an idea when applicants are contacted with a response? cheers

destinationsky
29th Jun 2009, 14:04
your qualifications do not automatically mean you "stand a good chance." i think it is very arrogant to think like that.
Whilst you do need to meet certain qualifying criteria, there are two questions on the sheet which are very particular. i cant remember what they are exactly but from what i can remember, you have a word limit which is very restricting - 100 words i think. go onto the GAPAN website and research there. i met all the criteria yet i didnt get anywhere!
qualifications do not mean automatic acceptance!
good luck anyway!

Re-Heat
29th Jun 2009, 17:16
I would love to know how the GAPAN guys pick out their candidates. I applied two years in a row before deciding to stump up the cash myself.
Scholarships are extremely competitive, and GAPAN take a great deal of time to select the very best candidates. They are absolutely impartial, and also absolutely supportive of those who do not make it through.

flightlevel1985
29th Jun 2009, 18:39
They are definitely worth applying for though without a doubt :ok: