PDA

View Full Version : 11/9 Horror was to happen here

NorthernSky
12th Dec 2001, 00:47
Forgive me if this has been covered here - I have not heard of it other than from a local newspaper. (If it has been discussed, could a moderator close the thread and post a link to the previous one?). (I've not been ppruning this last couple of weeks for one reason and another).

From the Bedford Times and Citizen 7/12/2001:

(edited highlights follow)

Headline 'Flying School at Centre of Terror Claim'

'A suspected terrrist who has told Indian investigators he was planning to crash an airliner into the House of Commons had been learning to fly at Cranfield, it was reported last night.

'The claims could provide the first concrete evidence of a concerted plan by Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda terrorist organisation to crash a hi-jacked plane on targets in London.

'XXXXXX, who is believed by the Indians to have been an al-Qaeda commander, is said to have joined the flying school at the end of August, paying a sizeable deposit for a year-long residential course costing around £50,000.

'Interrogators say XXXXXX has told them he and seven other al-Qaeda cell members were booked on two London to Manchester flights on September 11.

'But, as they waited to board their flights, news came through of the attacks in America and they panicked, running out of the airport and splitting up.

'Indian Government ministers have said 'He made some shocking confessions. Al-Qaeda was planning to carry out attacks like those on the World Trade Centre in Britain........

'Another senior Indian politician said XXXXXX had confessed to being in charge of a plot to hijack a UK domsetic flight and to crash it into the Houses of Patliament and Tower Bridge.

'A Metropolitan Police statement said "The Anti-Terrorist branch of the Metropolitan Police has not been officially notified of this case but we are now liaising with the Indian High Commission.'

Edited for the inevitable typo.

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: NorthernSky ]

ORAC
12th Dec 2001, 00:56
See thread:

Aircrew Notices (Misc) » 911: Was New York the only target?

moggie
12th Dec 2001, 16:30
In 1986 when the Americans bombed Lybia with F111s based at Upper Heyford (Oxfordshire) we ahd a similar incident.

A Lybian ATPL student training at OATS rang the local radio station, giving his name, and announced that he was going to crash his aeroplane on Upper Heyford in a revenge attack. The radio station phoned the Police and OATS, he was taken off the flying programme and deported in short order.

Unfortunately, bin Laden's men were better at keeping secrets.

FlapsOne
12th Dec 2001, 16:48
Why do people keep posting threads on 2 forums?

Whoops sorry it's been transferred. Delete everything after good morning!!!!!!!!!!

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: FlapsOne ]

moggie
12th Dec 2001, 17:18
Good afternoon Flaps One.

Good afternoon Flaps One.

Just though I had better post that twice!