PDA

View Full Version : UAE denies visa to Israeli tennis player

Wingsofprayer
15th Feb 2009, 10:23
Front-page now on CNN.com - nice publicity huh :D

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- The United Arab Emirates has refused to grant a visa to a female Israeli tennis player, preventing her from competing in the Sony Ericsson World Tennis Association Tour in Dubai, the WTA said in a statement Sunday.

Shahar Peer would have been the first Israeli athlete to participate in a professional sporting event in the UAE, CNN Sports Correspondent Pedro Pinto said.
The governing body of women's tennis said it was "deeply disappointed" that Peer was being denied entry to the country hosting the tournament, but it did not cancel the competition.

The move runs counter to WTA policy, which says no player should be barred from competing in a tournament for which she has qualified.

Dubai could lose its WTA membership next year over the ban on Shahar, according to the governing body's rules.

That would mean professional players could compete only in exhibition matches, the results of which would not count in pro rankings.

"We are deeply disappointed by the decision of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) denying Shahar Peer a visa that would permit her to enter the country to play in the Dubai Tennis Championships," said Larry Scott, chairman and chief executive of the tour.

"Ms. Peer has earned the right to play in the tournament and it is regrettable that the UAE (http://topics.edition.cnn.com/topics/united_arab_emirates) is denying her this right.

"Following various consultations, the Tour has decided to allow the tournament to continue to be played this week, pending further review by the Tour's Board of Directors," WTA chief Scott said.

The Dubai Tennis Championships began Sunday. The tournament patron is Dubai's ruler, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Makhtoum. Two million dollars in prize money is on the line.

Peer, 21, is ranked 48th in the world among female tennis players. She was allowed to compete at the Doha tournament in Qatar last year.

"Ms. Peer and her family are obviously extremely upset and disappointed by the decision of the UAE and its impact on her personally and professionally, and the Tour is reviewing appropriate remedies for Ms. Peer, and also will review appropriate future actions with regard to the future of the Dubai tournament," Scott said.

"The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour believes very strongly, and has a clear rule and policy, that no host country should deny a player the right to compete at a tournament for which she has qualified by ranking."

UAE denies visa to Israeli tennis player - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/02/15/tennis.uae.israel/index.html)

White Knight
15th Feb 2009, 10:28
Which country? - I've been 'told' that it doesn't exist:} Mind you, it's often mentioned in the local newspapers...

As to this case - makes for very poor advertising, and just as visitor numbers to Dubai are dropping off..

OMDB-PiLoT
15th Feb 2009, 10:40
Ms. Peer can migrate to another country if she's so desperate to play in Dubai! You cant expect any Muslim or in fact any sensible country to let Israelis enter their land after what they did last month.

5Y NJB
15th Feb 2009, 10:53
Ohhh... so Ms Peer should be held personally responsible for the actions of a bunch of bloodthirsty terrorists she doesn't even (in all probability) know?

Perhaps every country should take this stance against anyone from any nation whose inhabitants have ever perpetrated any form of violence against it. Then none of us would go anywhere. Brilliant!

S.F.L.Y
15th Feb 2009, 11:15
This is just symbolic action and nobody is directly blaming her for what happened. Maybe she should blame her own politicians in the first raw. Nothing is new with some forms of boycotts against Israel in the muslim world. If UAE nationals had to vote I'm sure they would have approved. Now how would an Iranian player be treated in Israel ?

Timber
15th Feb 2009, 11:50
I think OMDB-Pilot's remark is probably a contender for the dumbest remark of the century ........

BRS_flyer
15th Feb 2009, 11:54
All the travel guides I have read sugest that the UAE along with most other countries in the region will not allow entry to an Israeli passport holder (and some also deny anybody with evidence of a visit to Israel) so it is no suprise that this visa has been rejected. As far as I understand it, this is not a political retaliation for recent events in Gaza but simply that the UAE does not recognise the existance of the state of Israel so cannot admit anybody with a passport that they don't recognise as valid.

Incidently the only two counties in the region that do allow Israelis entry are Egypt and Jordan, both of whom have recognised the state in the past as part of the peace process.

ramiyns
15th Feb 2009, 12:00
This is professional pilots rumor network not professional politician rumor network.

Not too small
15th Feb 2009, 12:15
Well Well Well
If you forgot What happened to us Pilots (professional pilot)after the stupid 9/11 And cab crew and still happening ,every time we go to work Yes i will blame her for being from this foolish terror org called israel who dont belong anywhere, we did not want them in europe and nobody else too.
I dont blame UAE for what they did.
I wish my country will do the same.

bobbynorwich
15th Feb 2009, 12:39
The WTA is going "to review" its stance on the Dubai tournament after UAE denied a qualified athlete a visa solely due to her nationality? What's to review? An unequivocal "no more tournaments in Dubai" should be an automatic response. Get a backbone WTA!

5Y NJB
15th Feb 2009, 13:09
BRS - if that's the case, why was she allowed to compete at the Tournament in Doha last year?

Fart Master
15th Feb 2009, 13:10
EK has a Jewish pilot, so explain that one:hmm:

White Knight
15th Feb 2009, 13:20
Jewish does not mean Israeli - not sure why you even have to ask that? Is that explained:rolleyes:

Sal-e
15th Feb 2009, 14:17
An Israeli was questioned at the immigration counter. "Occupation?" No, just visiting.:}

kit330
15th Feb 2009, 14:19
guys time for a big group hug...:):):);)

5Y NJB
15th Feb 2009, 14:30
Very good Sal-e :ok:

The tone certainly needed lightening round here :rolleyes:

lindy226
15th Feb 2009, 14:47
Obviously the WTA tour does not "believe strongly" enough when it comes to its principles. The UAE is violating WTA rules and demonstrating the lowest form of discrimination. Not only should the WTA cancel the tournament, but it should also remove the UAE from its memberships roles.
Politics should have nothing to do with sports.

5Y NJB
15th Feb 2009, 14:54
I agree re politics and religion.

But Santa Claus? Nooooo :sad:

Fellowship of the drink
15th Feb 2009, 15:34
OMDB pilot

People like you are the reason why this world is so full of hatred.

OMDB-PiLoT
15th Feb 2009, 18:20
Fellowship, when you have your family friends and relatives mercilessly murdered, I will see if you can maintain the same notion!

EGGW
15th Feb 2009, 18:21
OK. You have all made your points. If you want to continue this, start a thread in Jet Blast forum.

We have been deleting enough of this thread.

Thread closed.

EGGW