PDA

View Full Version : Expats being thrown in jail, Dubai

Blue-Footed Boobie
14th Feb 2009, 22:05
Australians in Dubai face fraud charges | smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/world/australians-in-dubai-face-fraud-charges-20090214-87ng.html)

Now this story is not related to aviation but when the economy starts to collapse in and around Dubai western executives are being rounded up and put in jail. Very odd.

Blue-Footed Boobie

Yarra
15th Feb 2009, 00:42
If they have a case to answer why is it "odd"?

Blue-Footed Boobie
15th Feb 2009, 01:27
'odd' because thrown in jail and detained without charge, it's possible these expat executives being used to cover up corruption at a higher level?

Blue-Foot

Craic Ore
15th Feb 2009, 01:53
Yarra, did you read the article before replying?

"Many of the senior managers, who worked for government-owned companies, remain in jail without charge"

Does the above statement ellude to a great environment in Dubai? Or are we so used to this sort of thing here, it becomes no longer "odd"? What is this place, guantanamo bay?

It seems much like the rest of the world; it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Bredrin
15th Feb 2009, 02:00
It is worrying that people are being held without charge, however, the Australians have been charged with fraud according to the article in the link.

Easy Ryder
15th Feb 2009, 12:47
Holding people people without charge was something pioneered by the US about 8ish years ago wasn't it? ;):E

Yarra
15th Feb 2009, 13:07
CO, yes I did and they have been charged with Fraud, confirmed also by the DFA

ShinjukuHustler
15th Feb 2009, 18:37
No one breaks the law in blighty I suppose...:ugh: An idyllic oasis of peace and tranquility where nothing more than the most minor trespasses of the law ever takes place. No corporate fraud there, no sir, not us, Nick Leeson who?? We're decended from saints :suspect:

Make me :yuk:

Hustle On :ok:

disconnected
15th Feb 2009, 19:01
Round up the fraudsters I say. There are plenty out there. Including a few within our own ranks. The M&H affair springs to mind.

The sooner this place cleans up its act the better it will be for us all.

Yarra
16th Feb 2009, 00:37
Royston, your amazing insight is spot on. One of the things "The Monarchy" got wrong though was they sent the crims south whereas they should have gone themselves.

ironbutt57
16th Feb 2009, 01:35
I reckon they did the "crims" a favor..I know which place I'd prefer to live..:ok:

kit330
16th Feb 2009, 06:07
Isn't one of the biggest criminal and his buds walking around abu dhabs(or rather flying around at EY) ???? guess they missed a few eh??:E

Yarra
16th Feb 2009, 11:34
IB57, it was a favour and the crims rehabilitated sufficiently to be consistently good at sports as well

Blue-Footed Boobie
1st Mar 2009, 21:37
The Sheik wants someone else to carry the can. In jail, no charge.

Now 13 Aussies arrested in Dubai collapse - National - BrisbaneTimes (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/now-13-aussies-arrested-in-dubai-collapse/2009/03/01/1235842280455.html)

doubleu-anker
2nd Mar 2009, 05:38
And we all through this was the land of the B all to end all?

We're infidels, we are expendable, so we will take the fall. A good lesson for any of us on this polished turd called Dubai. No justice and no mercy. These "people" have been at this business (slavery) for centuries.:ugh:

Al Fakhem
2nd Mar 2009, 11:32
And, of course, there is Dawood Ibrahim, the notorious financier of terrorist attacks, who can even hold his daughter's wedding in beautiful Dubai without any interference from the local cops. :yuk: