PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Bursar

FraserBrien
14th Feb 2009, 18:08
It has been my life's ambition since the age of 6 to be a pilot in the RAF. I am planning to apply for a pilot bursarship when i go to university in september (09) to study history. (incidentally, my highers were AAAA in maths, physics, history and english in case my degree sounds unsatisfactory.) Basically what i want answered is what kind of test will i undergo when i apply for my bursar? Aside from the eye test of course...

Any help would be fantastic, cheers.

Bealzebub
14th Feb 2009, 18:38
Excellent and well done in your results. Talking of AAAA in English (capital letter) and "eye" tests, it is also a capital I not "i". I (eye) "i" don't want to attack you over your poor spelling, but if you are going to highlight your fantastic credentials in English, couldn't you try a little harder? ;)

It might be worth asking this question in the military forum, where they are likely to know these things?

Good luck.

preduk
14th Feb 2009, 18:52
If you are wanting to join the RAF why not just go directly? You have the grades, why waste your time with a Uni degree that you don't need.

FraserBrien
14th Feb 2009, 20:27
Yeah it was a quick note, I wasn't paying too much attention to my english.

Well i thought about applying directly but i've read they get most of their pilots from university air squadrons and i also thought a degree would simply be a very useful tool in life, whether or not i stay with the RAF after my obligatory 12-18 years (as a flyer).

preduk
14th Feb 2009, 20:56
Not at all, they like getting their pilots as young as possible they don't care if you are University educated or not, as long as you meet their (very high) standards.

If I was joining the RAF now, I would go straight in and by pass University, you will learn a lot in the military.

FraserBrien
14th Feb 2009, 22:22
Oh right, excellent! Well i'll have to speak to the RAF careers people etc and see how i would do it. Thanks for your help.

I guess i'd have to speak to the parents as well.

Shiver me timbers!
14th Feb 2009, 23:09
Go down to your local RAF Careers office. I'm sure they'll be happy to have a chat and answer any questions you may have. That's what they're there for right?

In fact, I'm sure they have regular presentation days where you can meet, greet and ask questions. They have DVDs which you can "borrow" which showcase all the stages of the application from initial interviews to medical tests to group exercises & debates etc.

Good luck!!

ewsd02
14th Feb 2009, 23:40
There is a thread on OASC, I expect you will need to pass this to get an aircrew bursary. Have a look in the military pilot section. You will probably get 6hrs of computer based aptitude tests, an interview and lots of planning and leadership tasks. You get a letter a couple of weeks later.

My advice is apply straight to the RAF now, its very competitive, so if you don't get in go to uni have a great time, join the UAS and fly for free then apply again to the RAF with that experience behind you.

I hope it goes well.

FraserBrien
18th Feb 2009, 17:53
Ok I will do, thanks for your help.

Grass strip basher
19th Feb 2009, 04:19
also worth a visit is E-Goat the Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network Forums (http://www.e-goat.co.uk)
This is the RAF equivalent of Pprune and a lot of stuff in the forum on recruitment.
Good luck to you and well done on the exam results

FraserBrien
20th Feb 2009, 21:35
Thanks! And i've spoken to my Uni and might change my degree to a B/MEng in Aeronautical Engineering. I dont suppose this would make a difference?

preduk
20th Feb 2009, 23:07
Nope. The RAF are looking for skill not qualifications. You can always do a degree while you are in the RAF.

I don't see the need for doing a Uni degree if you get straight into the RAF, it's a secure job with no requirements or use for a degree.

Halfwayback
21st Feb 2009, 11:28
According to the start of this thread you were going to apply to the RAF for the bursarship.

I would strongly advise you to do so. If you get the bursarship you are paid as a Flying Officer to attend Uni! You also get the University Air Squadron to hone your flying skills and you get to visit bases / squadrons during the holidays - all paid for.

However the competition is very hard.

If you end up in a flying career within the Forces then you will gain tremenous exerience whic, depending upon what you fly, could even lead to exemption from some CAA examinations.

HWB

FraserBrien
21st Feb 2009, 15:49
Yeah that's the plan, I basically wanted to know what i should be focussing on in preparation for selection. If I am not awarded a bursary I think I'll join the UAS anyway, learn to fly as a volunteer, and apply to the RAF and, possibly, the Navy as a pilot.

Anybody got any advice in terms of interview/aptitude tests?