PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Presenters in UnZed Bird Strike

krypton_john
14th Feb 2009, 17:26
Top Gear trio suffer chopper trouble (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4848472a1860.html)

Top Gear trio suffer chopper trouble
Sunday Star Times | Sunday, 15 February 2009

It was Friday the 13th for a seagull and a supercar that crossed paths with the Top Gear Live crew.
Hit UK TV show stars Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond, and their Kiwi sidekick, V8s racing legend Greg Murphy, had a helicopter flight turned back by birdstrike around lunchtime on Friday.
And that evening, at Auckland's ASB showgrounds, Murphy damaged the motor on a supercar during a speed demo.
The trio, who have been staying at the Skycity Grand Hotel, took off from Auckland's Mechanics Bay in a Heliflight chopper, only to turn around and head back to base after a few hundred metres.
"They all piled into the chopper and took off over the harbour heading towards North Head," a source told Sunday News.
"They hadn't even got halfway across the water before they stopped, hovered, turned around and came back. They were only in the air for about a minute.
"When they got back the pilot and a couple of engineers came out and were having a look at one of the rotors. They spent about 10 minutes sorting it out, and took off again, headed north."
Heliflight CEO Andy McKay, who was flying the chopper, said it "clipped a seagull, but that's not uncommon down there".
McKay said the trio "were pretty knackered from doing their shows in Sydney and Auckland" but were "a joke a minute" and "laughing the whole time".
McKay said he took the stars to Russell, where they had lunch. "They were absolutely stunned and amazed with the scenery of Auckland and what they saw."

heli-cal
14th Feb 2009, 21:56
Any news on the seagull?

DBChopper
14th Feb 2009, 21:59
Yes - arrested for endangering fellow aviators. He's up before the beak in the morning.

Whirlygig
14th Feb 2009, 22:14
Just hope they're not going to crow about it :}

Cheers

Whirls

slingyerhook
14th Feb 2009, 22:54
So it was a genuine birdstrike,and not just Jezza'a mouth catching some wildlife on lifting,when taking a gasp of air for his next press conference gaff:yuk:.

SYH.

heli-cal
15th Feb 2009, 03:55
Probably end up with a bit of bird! (o:

RotaryRat
15th Feb 2009, 04:13
Some say.... that seagulls and helicopters don't mix, or that flying is a hazardous form of transportation, all I know is that the boys are alive to film another episode :D

T4 Risen
15th Feb 2009, 06:43
I can see the headlines in the tabloids tomorrow...."Hamster hit by seagull!!"

Fark'n'ell
15th Feb 2009, 07:15
The beak decided not to impose any penalty as seagull had already had his wings clipped.

FLY 7
15th Feb 2009, 09:15
According to Teletext the headline in today's Sunday Star is, Top Gear's Daredevil Stars Cheat Death...

Tarman
15th Feb 2009, 14:33
Let’s hope it wasn’t a “one eyed Scottish idiot” Seagull. We wouldn’t want any controversy would we ? Oh how I wish our feathered friend had smacked that self appointed know -all Clarkson slap bang on the kisser. I can always dream !!:)

DBChopper
15th Feb 2009, 14:50
Oh how I wish our feathered friend had smacked that self appointed know -all Clarkson slap bang on the kisser

Do you? Poor Jeremy :ouch:

Well it would have made a good read in his column, in fact I'm sure it still will. The world would be a more boring place without a few entertaining, opinionated folk and I'm glad the guys are all ok.

:ok:

bigglesbutler
15th Feb 2009, 17:55
Headline

"Near miss as Seagull is dazzled by white teeth"

Si :E

Paracab
15th Feb 2009, 18:58
Clever stuff Mr Rotary Rat, top drawer. :ok:

bell222
15th Feb 2009, 20:37
Hamster hit by seagull in a squirrel :ok:

DX Wombat
15th Feb 2009, 20:43
Quote:
Oh how I wish our feathered friend had smacked that self appointed know -all Clarkson slap bang on the kisser

Do you? Poor Jeremy Surely you mean poor seagull. :{ :{