PDA

View Full Version : Canuck wants to be a kiwi!

albertaboy
14th Feb 2009, 05:03
Hi there
I have just finished my Canadian CPL along with my night,float, multi and multi IFR ratings. Now begins an even bigger challenge then the training, finding my first job! Living in the oil rich province of Alberta, we have over expanded in the past few years and due to the North American recession and low cost of oil, most companies have frozen their hiring and are playing the waiting game. That being said, I would love to go on a new adventure to the beautiful country of New Zealand. I also accept the fact that ramp work to start is almost assured.
I realize New Zealand may be feeling a dowturn as well these days and am curious how the job market actually is down in that part of the world. I would also like to know how difficult it is to convert my licence.
Thanks for any advice or comments!

Konev
14th Feb 2009, 09:30
jobs have tightened up a lot down here as with everywhere else.

Got the horn
15th Feb 2009, 05:39
I can put you in touch with a Canadian workmate who did the same as you are planning on doing.

albertaboy
15th Feb 2009, 08:20
Thanks for the responses. I will check into the CAA, and I would greatly appreciate any contacts who may pass on a few words of wisdom.
Thanks All!

ZK-NSN
15th Feb 2009, 08:47
Recession is a bitch isnt it. Still a bit of movement in NZ but not as much as the previous 12 months. Most GA jobs in NZ are based on tourism which will slow down heaps in April-May for the winter and pick up around Sept - October. There are a few floatplane operators who might give you a look in (Taupo and Rotorua)
The NZ licence conversion can be a total bitch. I know a chap who converted a Canadian ATPL to an Aussie ATPL then to a NZ ATPL, NZCAA didnt like it but it was legal, might work for a CPL.

Good luck.

Konev
15th Feb 2009, 19:22
oh and a word of warning, NZ CAA have a habit of losing paper work. :mad:

Q300
16th Feb 2009, 01:53
Good luck with the license (you'll need it, from what I've heard).

Anyway, in Rotorua, you might get a look in with Volcanic Air Safaris who operate scenic floatplane flights (Twotter and Cessna 402 I think plus some whirlybirds). Then there's NZONE who are the skydiving operation, but I don't think they're interested in hiring and it's not floats anyway. Lots of helicopter operations in Rotorua too.

remoak
16th Feb 2009, 02:03
Actually it isn't as bad as some are saying.

You need to talk to ASL, not the CAA, as ASL carry out foreign licence validations. All the info you need can be found here:

http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/Flight_Crew_Recognition_Info.pdf

In general, for an ATPL, if you have an ICAO ATPL licence that is valid in ALL respects, you can expect to have to do a NZ ATPL law exam and an ATPL flight test (and get a NZ Class 1 medical). If you get a job with an airline here, the flight test can be incorporated into a proficiency check. If you do the flight test independently, you will need a small turboprop (possibly a Mojave if it is still around).

I just did it, turned out to be pretty straightforward.

PM me if you want.

Massey1Bravo
16th Feb 2009, 05:23
It's pretty grim in NZ, the recession here is a lot worse than in Aussie. And there's also the 20% wage gap....

albertaboy
18th Feb 2009, 20:36
Thanks for all the info everyone! I have much more to go on now then a couple days ago. Cheers from Canada

Ejector
24th Feb 2009, 16:01
Are you sure you want to be a Kiwi. You Canadians really are a strange bunch IMHO and I understand why you desire to leave, Particular Alberta, what a unique place, but come on, change to be a :mad: Kiwi?? Maybe you could be entered into the 2009 Darwin Awards;)

Australia is like NZ mother country, if you want to get ahead in life, you will end up in Oz anyway:ok:

Floatmeoff
26th Feb 2009, 19:37
Yeah, we Canadians are a strange bunch. I'd rather live in NZ than OZ any day. You know the main reason why Canucks like it here? Aussies are too much like Americans, and as expatriate Canadians, it is bad enough living "next to the elephant" in North America. So why would you want to live with another elephant? There are as many similarities between Kiwis and Canadians as there are between Aussies and Yanks. I know - I spent over five years travelling and working in the U.S. and living in Canada - and I was always glad to cross the border north bound!

remoak
27th Feb 2009, 01:12
Albertaboy, don't be fooled. Australia is in no way a mother country to New Zealand. it is, in fact, a largely uninhabitable desert, full of poisonous insects, snakes, spiders and jellyfish. There is a reason that the REAL mother country chose Australia to be a prison colony, whereas New Zealand was chosen to be a prosperous farming and trading centre.

Sometimes Kiwis do go over to the West Island, as we call it, but only to take their money. By and large we only allow the dregs of our society to go and live there, thus raising the average IQ of both countries.

There was a time when Aussie sports teams tried to raise the reputation of their penal colony, but they all pretty much suck now and are easily beaten. Even the Canadian cricket team could thrash the Ozmates these days.

No, you have chosen wisely. We look forward to assimilating you into our collective...

rodmiller
2nd Mar 2009, 11:01
put the annoying accent in NZ aside, and its a beautiful country.

not as beautiful as OZ though.

To much like Americans eh floatmeoff? thats rich.

Good luck with your conversion mate

j3pipercub
3rd Mar 2009, 23:20
toolowtoofast

Russel Crowe was one of yours mate!!!

remoak

please don't come back, not even for a money making trip

and alberta boy, just be careful, in NZ when they ask you if you'd like to shear (un zud ekcent) a sheep, they mean a WHOLE other thing :}

j3

Sand dune Sam
4th Mar 2009, 04:18
When it comes time for Kiwis to sh!t can Australia, which they do regularly, dont take any notice of them...the fact that Australia employs Kiwis, looks after the health and welfare of Kiwis, gives Kiwis a better standard of living to name but a few examples seems to go largely unrecognised by our Southern Ocean neighbours.

rodmiller
4th Mar 2009, 09:16
just on the dust,

eventually it will rain,

you will always be a kiwi

no amount of rain will wash that off

waren9
4th Mar 2009, 09:49
...the fact that Australia employs Kiwis, looks after the health and welfare of Kiwis, gives Kiwis a better standard of living to name but a few examples...

And not least of all, pays them the most sh1t wages...from 3 of the 4 jet operators there:hmm:

Yeah, we sure do look after those K1w1s. And Aussies wonder why they're over here filling the front seats?:ooh:

:ok:

Sand dune Sam
5th Mar 2009, 05:36
Well waren, instead of being an angry Kiwi, how about you realise one very important thing that even you cant dispute..that being, the only reason Australian companies set up shop in NZ is because they know Kiwis will work for less.

Stop working for less and set a benchmark, and you may just find that those big bad Australian companies you refer to,who pay your wages, feed your family and put a roof over your head, may just pay you more.

Christ, you guys bitch in the Emirates and you bitch in Australia, get over yourselves.

And one further point which you Kiwis have problems understanding is that if Air NZ didnt put the final nail in Ansetts coffin, maybe Australians wouldnt have to be crewing operations in YOUR country mate.

Orangputi
5th Mar 2009, 05:46
Just dont ask them to buy a beer they are the tightest race on earth! the Scott's are spendthrifts compared to this lot!
Combine a kiwi with a pilot (the tightest profession on earth) and you have the tighest animal on the planet!
LOL

waren9
5th Mar 2009, 06:12
Sam, check your PMs mate.

ZK-NSN
5th Mar 2009, 07:23
the ever evapourating gene pool you guys have
This from the people who brought you:
Steve Irwin
Pauline Hanson
Yahoo Serious
Kevin Bloody Wilson
Ralf Harris.......and the list goes on.

Sam
"if Air NZ didnt put the final nail in Ansetts coffin, maybe Australians wouldnt have to be crewing operations in YOUR country mate."

You are right, Air NZ put the FINAL nail in the coffin, You can look at little closer to home as to who put the rest in.

Shame a light hearted joke around forum got screwed.

Sand dune Sam
5th Mar 2009, 07:31
Your PM is not even worth a reply pal. You cant argue with an individual that feels that Kiwis are the backbone of the WA mining industry. With that kind of delusional attitude it's no wonder you guys cant take criticism.

The next time you want to send a PM having a delusional rant mate, send it to someone else. Idiot.

slamer.
5th Mar 2009, 08:00
Albertaboy

Good luck with your aviation career, wherever you end up

I have spent some time in Canada and have always enjoyed your beautiful Country and friendly people. I would suggest you will find a lot of similarities with NZ ( I hope thats a good thing!)

I think a lot can be concluded about the pros/cons of NZ verses OZ from the Vitriol above by ..... "read between the lines"......:ok:

waren9
5th Mar 2009, 08:15
Sand dune Sam has just gone for a cup of tea and a little lie down. For someone that lives where his moniker might suggest, he has a bit of a struggle with the concept of heat and kitchens and what to do.

Play the ball, bud. Not the man.

I know youve got more intelligence than to resort to insults.

Tidbinbilla
5th Mar 2009, 08:58
It's great to see that trans-Tasman relations have sunk to a new low, thanks to a few morons. It just goes to show that you don't have to be the sharpest tool in the shed to get a licence down here :ugh:

Albertaboy, no matter where you choose to go, both are fantastic countries to work.. Good luck with your search.

TID.