PDA

View Full Version : CHC Touring Captains

Paddy-Pilot
14th Feb 2009, 00:19
I see a job advertised on CHCs website. Any idea what they are like to work for and also what is the Salary? Also is it in Canadian or US Dollars? Are Pilots treated well with them or is it the standard crap that we all have to put up with.

the delaminator
14th Feb 2009, 01:26
define "crap that we all have to put up with."

rileyemi
14th Feb 2009, 10:17
Haven't been to the website lately but I hear we are looking for pilots DOWN UNDER, actually trying to relocate pilots there full time. Tighten your belts boys, thats the word from S.A. I wonder if SA is going to tighten his bonus structure along with his salary. Just waiting for the axe to fall. Heard new pilots in Thailand were going to be replaced with pilots from other parts of the world on a seniority bases. I guess the guys from Nigeria have to work somewhere. PB you did good getting out when the getting was good.

Lost in Translation
:=

SARBlade
15th Feb 2009, 08:32
Heard new pilots in Thailand were going to be replaced with pilots from other parts of the world on a seniority bases.

Well I don't think that could happen, considering there is no union. Pilots hired for those jobs would have a case against CHC if they were let go in favor of other "senior" pilots. However, stranger things have happened. Rumor has it CHC and ACN are attempting a reconciliation, would this not mean pilots in Nigeria remaining there?

Outwest
16th Feb 2009, 00:19
Just heard that CHC has, in exchange for the reported $130 mil owed, taken a majority share of ACN, putting CHC in full control..........

malabo
16th Feb 2009, 01:45
A western company being "fully in control of" a Nigerian company is a legal impossibility. Only another Nigerian will ever have majority ownership of ACN. Assuming CHC had the max allowable share of 49%, they could still only have 49% now. Maybe they are rolling the dice on new Nigerian partners.

Past posters to this thread have blamed the poor conditions at ACN on CHC, so if they were not "fully in control" of ACN before, who was? And where did the 130 million go - Switzerland?

albatross
16th Feb 2009, 07:04
And if you want to BUY ACN:

Here's another offer you could not refuse:

For sale:
Ocean Liner:
Large
Low Mileage

Burns coal not expensive diesel fuel.
Some slight ice damage.

As is where is.

Good band.
Life boat tests ongoing.
Rearrange deck chairs as you wish.

Captain's / navigator's positions open.

Large customer base.

Priced for very quick sale

Sale closes 14 April 1912 New owner must take possession before 15 April @ 0200 hrs

Paddy-Pilot
16th Feb 2009, 09:41
What the hell!!!! I asked about working conditions and pay with CHC Global and you guys talk about selling the Titanic. Are there any pilots left out there?????

Plakstift
16th Feb 2009, 09:52
Salary: Captain +- $87,000/year. Canadian Dollar based on 6 and 6.

Pilots are treated well and but flexibility is a must as CHC can be disorganized. Any inconveniences to the pilots are usually not in spite.

Canadian residents get a government tax credit which increases their take home pay and it is factored in, by CHC, into the seemingly low salary. Non resident who have to pay full tax and a need to exchange the Canadian dollar get a raw deal.

I hope this help.

Canuck Guy
16th Feb 2009, 12:20
Heard some saying CHC just finished laying off some 70-80 pilots last month, and now they're hiring again? Did the axe just fall on expat FO's only?

the delaminator
16th Feb 2009, 20:29
Actually...........

Pay is based on a difficulty matrix. The crappier the job the more $.

Internet connection, quality of food, and of course the necessity to have armed guards to drive you to work are all factored in.

Bottom line?? Nigeria pays the most......Lovely warm white sand beach Malaysia the least.

I don't work for these guys anymore because I couldn't hack the 35 hour flights to get to work anymore. But they treated me well when I was there and I would not hesitate to work for them again if they had something closer to home.

Paddy-Pilot
16th Feb 2009, 22:06
Thank you very much. Surely you don't have to pay tax in Canada if you don't live there on your time off??

Outwest
16th Feb 2009, 23:01
As mentioned before, if you do 6 and 6 and on your time off return to your home in Canada, you pay tax like any other Canadian working in Canada. However, you have tax a credit available called the OETC (overseas employment tax credit) which lowers your tax rate to approx 15%.

You have to become or be a non-resident of Canada if you want tax free earnings. You will however be subject to tax in your country of residence if applicable.

murdock
16th Feb 2009, 23:26
Paddy-Pilot - yeah Canadians are still subject to tax, even when working offshore, so long as they are still deemed residents of Canada for the 6 months they are off work. Otherwise they could relocate to Dubai or some other tax free state in order not to pay taxes.

However, in Ireland, so long as you are not in the country for 181 days you are deemed a non-resident and therefore not charged any taxes. You can still own a home in Ireland and live there for the other half of the year and not pay income taxes - but as you may know in the wonderfully changing economy they are trying to change these laws.

Americans have it pretty bad, they have to file and pay taxes no matter where they live in the world for their life. I think though, if they are living outside the U.S., they are only hit with income taxes once earning something like $90,000 and up. Moral of the story, never be in too much of a hurry to win a green card or get US citizenship.

MyTarget
17th Jun 2010, 06:54
As mentioned before, if you do 6 and 6 and on your time off return to your home in Canada, you pay tax like any other Canadian working in Canada. However, you have tax a credit available called the OETC (overseas employment tax credit) which lowers your tax rate to approx 15%.

You have to become or be a non-resident of Canada if you want tax free earnings. You will however be subject to tax in your country of residence if applicable.

Hi am looking at the tax regulations at the moment for a eurozone worker, but i was wondering how the 1 - 12 scale works on your monthly salary. Is it done on the amount of hours you have?

I only ask because i am about apply....... but from what i have read on various topics unless you are a canadian citizen or you live in a tax free country then the salaries are a bit low for a IFR offshore Captain or maybe i am just used to European wages but the 6/6 is attractive for my lifestyle.