View Full Version : Grounding of static from aircraft

radio ears
13th Feb 2009, 22:28
Hi,
My friend was on the afternoon Ryanair flight to Hamburg on Tuesday. She was the first off the aircraft and she reports that she got a huge static shock. Should the aircraft be discharged before disembarking?
Thanks

stevef
14th Feb 2009, 08:43
That's a rather uncommon occurrence. Aircraft tyres are impregnated with carbon and this should dissipate any static accumulated during flight. Static wicks are also fitted to the airframe to discharge same.
However, aircraft are always earthed to the bowser during refuelling to conduct any charge to ground caused by the rapid fluid flow through the hose and differing earth potentials between the two (if I remember correctly).

ampclamp
14th Feb 2009, 23:22
could be a coincidence.cold dry air, static builds up quickly.could well have been her shoes on the carpet walking out or man made materials in her clothes.
the aircraft static should be bled off quickly on ground contact as stated earlier.
Having met , chocked, touched, plugged in headsets into thousands of aircraft upon arrival over 30 plus years I've never been given a static shock.Possible I suppose but have not heard of it.

Checks should be carried out to ensure ext power neutral to aircraft ground and aircraft ground to earth are within limits AMM limits.