View Full Version : the wheel-less 737

ruddman
13th Feb 2009, 11:58
To cut a long story slightly shorter then the usual regulation length :

I was sitting in my courier van during a quite arvo a couple of days ago here in Cairns. Parked the south end of the city near trinity inlet pretty much right under the flightline of aircaft which were landing that day rwy 33.

It's possible to see them in the distance to the south as they fly over me flying north. And they always have their gear down WELL before they overfly that area.

Except one particular 737. I couldn't figure out what was so strange about it as it overflew but then it clicked. No gear hanging down. Might not sound so strange but a quick check of the map and I figured I was around 3.5nm MAX from the airport (I'd say threshold but that would be a bit nerdy) when it did lower its gear just past my position.

Kinda thought that 5-6nm was the norm. So I guess this was leaving it to the last minute? Perhaps around 1000agl at this stage as a guess.

Even I don't cheat this much when I'm using MSFS - except when my wife is trying to sensually lure me away from the pc. Sometimes I get distracted! ;)

I'm no pilot - professional or otherwise - so I'll just assume it was all part of the show! :ok:

redED
13th Feb 2009, 16:51
We "should" have our gear down by 4d, "must" by 500ft.

ruddman
15th Feb 2009, 03:57
Ah. I see. Cool. Thanks redEd.