PDA

View Full Version : Living in Kenya/Nairobi

atpcliff
12th Feb 2009, 18:05
Hi!

What is it like? Looks like good chance I'll start there 1 Mar, and trying to get as much info as I can.

What to bring (6 month contract)?

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!!!

cliff
KGRB

capt.m
12th Feb 2009, 19:09
Hi..What company are you going to fly for and where do they operate to?
pm me if you wish..

Coleman Myers
13th Feb 2009, 07:33
Karibu. Its brilliant mate. See you at Dambusters !.

LOW BURNER
13th Feb 2009, 10:47
it can be a great city but it can be tough on you. i have been here for about three weeks looking for work. talked to some really great people at wilson but no takers yet. Im not kenyan and so it can be difficult to get some to warm up to you. Once your in im sure you will love it. have fun

Agaricus bisporus
13th Feb 2009, 11:26
Weather is like best of N European summer, up to 80', maybe as low as 55 at nightcold season, 75 warm. High altitude = high UV. When it rains it comes down like a fire hose, but will only do that in the rainy season. Occasional morning fog = cold and clammy until it burns off. Nowhere needs formal dress except the Muthaiga Club, but you're unlikely to be invited there. A shirt and tie may be useful, jacket optional. If going on safari buy boots there. Bring camera and binoculars, the nairobi game reserve is on the edge of the city and quite good at certain times of year. Food excellent, esp chinese and Indian. All other tastes accounted for. Beer OK, wine and spirits costly. Pickpockets rife in the city. get robbed and shout STOP THIEF and the poor bastard will be pounded into pulp in the street by the wananchi - the onlookers, remember, he's starving, you aint. Literally. Wear no jewelery at all, cheap watch. Carry robbery pay-off in one pocket, rest elsewhere. Don't walk around at night. Having said that, it isn't too bad - just be alert. Girls in bars/nightclubs are after two things - do not be surprised if they just grab hold of one before asking for the other, it makes you jump but that's Africa. Get out into the country, make sure your employer gets you a certificate to say you're a resident, $250 per night safari/beach lodges become $50

Enjoy.

Coleman Myers
13th Feb 2009, 11:53
Low Burner pm me for a lead

cochise
13th Feb 2009, 13:01
I spent 2 years with a Kenyan company. I came in on a contract through a foreign based company so I can't really tell you about the job hunt aspect although I did meet a few guys that went through it and it's not easy. The KCAA has recently starting cracking down on operators with pilots without work permits. This has caused quite a few licenses to expire and caused companies to either apply for work permits or sorry to say but put a little extra grease in the palms of the right people. The conversion is a royal pain in the a$$ and it is purely luck as to when you get through with it.
I think it's essential for any contractor to bring a laptop. It will kill many hours of boredom. DVDs are also quite cheap in Nairobi so it will give you something to do while you hurry up and wait.
I would bring some warm clothes. People don't realize that Nairobi can get quite cool. Also make sure that the USD bills you bring are 2006 and up I believe as anything before then you will not be able to change as easily and if you can you will get a lower rate.
Leave your great expectations behind and come with an open mind. My time there was like a love / hate relationship but I value it more than any other flying job I've had. Like anywhere you'll meet some great people and you'll meet some real hounds.
Who are you contracting with? PM if you don't want to say on the open forum
:cool:

atpcliff
14th Feb 2009, 16:49
Hi!

So, how much $ do I need for robbery money?

How do I get a resdient certificate?

All the help and info is GREAT!!!

cliff
DC-9 Contract Capt/FO
KGRB

5Y NJB
15th Feb 2009, 11:10
Karibu!

I'm sure you've already been told this but come to the ACEA (Aero Club of East Africa) when you arrive for a drink with the old farts (and some of the young farts) and you'll be made to feel very welcome. You'll also make some invaluable contacts there (as I did when I arrived).

PM me for my contact details if you need help with anything when you arrive. Happy to help.

atpcliff
18th Feb 2009, 18:03
Hi!

Coleman: What is Dambusters? I assume a club?

5Y NJB: I will be sure to stop by ACEA.

I just got my Medical updated, and my shots and drugs.

PC (Simulator) Check is this weekend, and then supposed to get airline ticket to NBO.

cliff
GRB