PDA

View Full Version : In flight camcorder use? Illegal or not?

pouncer
12th Feb 2009, 15:39
Some years ago on a flight from Gibraltar to Gatwick, operated by British Airways some members of the cabin staff took vehement objection to me using a camcorder, even though the aircraft was at cursing altitude. A short argument ensued but realising that cc commands must be obeyed I reluctantly put the camera away.

I have to say this is a first or me as I have taken flight footage on many different airlines (including BA) in full view of the cabin crew, and previous to this no one raised any objections. Indeed prior to 9/11 I have even taken footage of pilots on the flight deck with their full approval and no one suggested to me that this was a practice that could compromise flight safety.

However on that particular day I was made to feel profoundly embarrassed and I have a number of questions. Is the use of camcorders banned on flights, and if so why are the TV news filled full of in flight interviews with sportsmen, politicians, presidents and other dignitaries, using equipment much more powerful than my humble camcorder?

Also another question: Why do BA cabin staff respond with such aggression to perceived infringements in a way that can only encourage yet more air rage incidents in those less disciplined than myself? For example Swiss can challenge passengers in a much more agreeable manner, but BA are just plain offensive.

I guess what I’m saying is that I take grave exception to cc descending upon me in a totally condescending manner as if I was wielding a weapon of mass destruction.

So just what are the rules concerning the use of camcorders on aircraft?

Tulsablue
12th Feb 2009, 15:47
Perhaps a polite request to CC may provide a positive outcome,;) it could be a problem with having other passengers being filmed.:=

pouncer
12th Feb 2009, 15:57
In this case I was filming out of the window at around 37000 feet, but what the crew seemed to object to was when I started to replay the footage in the viewfinder

Rainboe
12th Feb 2009, 16:13
You would be surprised at the actual laws concerning filming overhead a country. The list of states that ban it is extraordianry. Pull you camera out on a Greek apron or overhead Greece or Turkey and you will probably be locked up. The cabin crew are made aware of many states where it is downright unlawful, and will not discuss it. If you persist, and somebody makes a report, trouble can come back on them. Therefore if you want to make a discussion of it in the air, and they get short of patience, then you really can't be surprised if they take you to task. They are not being bossy- they know the rules for most states and are not prepared to see you putting them at hazard of action taken officially.
It is not a discussion point, you do not have a leg to stand on. They speak with the authority of the Captain. If you were reported for persistently filming despite instruction, I would pass this on t the destination. You may have policemen with long droopy mustaches and big truncheons meeting the aeroplane with a lot of interest in what you have been filming. You would be surprised at how neurotic some states can be- ask the plane spotters locked up en masse in Greece!

TightSlot
12th Feb 2009, 16:34
Some years ago on a flight from Gibraltar to Gatwick

It seems to have taken some time to get around to posting this?

:confused::confused::confused:

Pax Vobiscum
12th Feb 2009, 16:36
And Spain is (or was) another country that forbids all aerial photography - BA flights used to make an announcement to this effect. Don't ask why - we all know that Google Earth provides infinitely more detail than could ever be obtained through an aircraft window from 30,000 feet, but logic isn't a strong point with national security bodies!

pouncer
12th Feb 2009, 16:44
Hi there Rainboe You are indeed toxic as you claim to display yourself but for crying out loud I’m not talking about over flying Israel, Afghanistan, Iraq, or Iran where I might well understand filming restrictions. We’re talking about Europe - the good old EU - Spain, France, and all the other members.

Incidentally the point at which the CC took exception to my filming activities arose over the Bay of Biscay. Are you suggesting that this too is a top secret location with hidden under water bases and undiscovered secrets? In fact all I wanted was to capture a particularly beautiful sunset.

With regards filming aircraft in Greece I have the advantage over you since I am half Greek. I have filmed there extensively and always asked permission - no problem. Once I even got granted an armed guard who told me what to take and not take. Those plane spotters who did time in Greece some years back ignored well displayed signs not to take pictures and paid the penalty. However I can assure you that on flights out of Eleftherios Venizelos you won’t be taken to task for using a camcorder. BA out of Gib at 37000 feet above the Bay of Biscay was the only time this has happened to me.

pouncer
12th Feb 2009, 16:48
The reason why it took so long (in answer to one poster) for me to bring this up (around two years) is that I was unaware of this forum, and also had more important things to be getting on with. I just want to know where I stand?

shogan1977
12th Feb 2009, 17:09
You sound like a jerk

CornishFlyer
12th Feb 2009, 17:16
It was probably GB Airways staff for a start. Also, the reason they would have asked you to stop (in whatever manner, I'm not going to discuss as I cba) would have been that in theory, you need to have permission from the airline and the people you were filming. Simple as

BelArgUSA
12th Feb 2009, 17:24
Friends -
xxx
Many restrictions and regulations pertain to different things.
In example, photography. Permissible in some countries, prohibited in others.
Similar restrictions apply say, to electronic items use in airplanes.
xxx
To simplify all restrictions, many airlines generalize prohibition of photography anywhere.
So, no need for CC to know where permitted and not permitted.
Or for electronic equipment, what can be used during takeoff and landing in which type aircraft.
It is easier to brief ALL CC, to forbid ALL ELECTRONIC ITEMS for ALL FLIGHTS.
And for ALL TYPES of aircraft.
xxx
When I was flying, we did SMS operations of our T/O time with our mobile phone.
Yet our passengers were prohibited to use mobile phones during taxi...
Ridiculous, but that is the way it goes.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

wiggy
12th Feb 2009, 17:26
Firstly there are some Western States that are very sensitive about filming on overflights, and it's not just places in the Middle East, even parts of Canada and the States used to be, and probably are, still "sensitive", so if the Cabin Crew say so don't film. On the other hand I have noticed that some cabin crew on some carriers have become very aggressive re- filming and it's not just BA - I saw one Easyjet Cabin Crew member crew being very aggressive with a passenger who was filming during the safety demo a week or two ago. The Cabin Crew memeber didn't want to be filmed - fair enough - but IMHO she should just have said she didn't want to be filmed, she shouldn't have dressed it up with "security and it's secret"....

pouncer
12th Feb 2009, 17:29
Hi Shogun

So I’m a jerk am I? What’s the matter? Didn’t they teach you to articulate yourself better at school? Maybe you never went to school. Either way your comment isn’t very educated. What would you say? Have you anything remotely intelligent to say on this ??? I just asked a question and if ‘you’re a jerk’ is the best I can get then it’s shame on you.

TightSlot
12th Feb 2009, 18:23
Sorry, but I've decided you are a jerk - an an aggressive one at that - unfortunately PPRuNe isn't a democracy QED.

Sorry that you came to us so late, and denied us all the pleasure of your comment for so long. As it is, I'm not going to let you wander in and pick fights, so this thread is now closed.

Go away