PDA

View Full Version : Fly Navy 100 - The Centenary of Naval Aviation

Fly Navy 100
12th Feb 2009, 12:41
2009 marks the Centenary Year of Naval Aviation. It was on 7th May 1909 that the Admiralty first set aside £35,000 for the development of an airship, beginning a process that was to lead to the formation of the Fleet Air Arm as we know it today.

Those hundred years have seen a breathtaking development from flimsy aircraft that struggled to leave the ground to supersonic stealth fighters. As technology has developed, so too has ideology; Naval Aviation began the 20th century as an interesting sideshow in the armament of the Royal Navy, and ended it as the centrepiece.

The aircraft carrier now marks out the premier league navies from the rest. It is the punch of the nation and a symbol of its power. Countless Prime Ministers have found that the carrier has been indispensable to the execution of their foreign policy: Thatcher sent hers to the Falklands; Major sent his to Bosnia; Blair sent his once to Sierra Leone and twice to Iraq.

Those are only the most recent crises and there were numerous others even between those. In many of these conflicts, success was not only helped by carrier-borne aircraft – it depended on them.

Fly Navy 100 is a programme of events and publications that aims to celebrate and commemorate this remarkable centenary. It aims to showcase among both the public and the Service communities the endurance, flexibility, and above all potency, of Naval Aviation.

For more information on the the history of the Naval Aviation in the UK and the events of the centenary year please see the Royal Navy website at:

FLY NAVY 100 : Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.7027)

Or email the Fly Navy 100 team at:

[email protected]

Fly Navy

Triple Matched TQ
12th Feb 2009, 19:22
It appears nothing is happening at the remaining two RNAS then.

Just the normal Airdays!! I guess thats a broke organisation for you.

exscribbler
12th Feb 2009, 21:49
I'm waiting for the Helpful Stacker to come out from behind his blankets. :E

Occasional Aviator
12th Feb 2009, 22:00
Did we miss the 100th anniversary of Army Aviation then? Bearing in mind that the Royal Engineers were the first Brits to put balloons and airships to military use...

Mick Strigg
13th Feb 2009, 17:54
I think that it is right and proper that you are celebrating this fantastic milestone.

Well done and thank you to the Admirals that had the foresight to realise the future of warfare, thus giving birth to the RNAS, FAA and ultimately, the RAF!

The RNAS had its own ranks (such as Flight Lt) to deliniate them from the General Service and even had their own cap badge that was adopted by the RAF when it formed!

Occ Av - Did you know that the Royal Naval Air Service invented the Tank?

soddim
13th Feb 2009, 18:14
From a former member of the eldest independent air force I congratulate the Navy on the foresight they showed almost 100 years ago in embracing air power as an essential part of our military capability.

Happy birthday!

Fly safe.

Strictly Jungly
14th Feb 2009, 17:02
Ex Scribbler.................don't you mean the (Un) Helpful Stacker and his usual tenuous links???

exscribbler
14th Feb 2009, 22:29
Something like that. But don't forget I'm not sarcastic any more - I'm post-ironic. It works well when you're dealing with bedding... :E