PDA

View Full Version : Relief

Devils Advocate
2nd Oct 2001, 03:38
This is not so much news as comment:

I must say that I find the tragic images of malnourished Afghan children disgusting, and that these small human beings are starving to death in a world so full of plenty is truly obscene !

E.g. If you want to see plenty going to waste then just take a look at the lard-arses you can find in every food-mall of any western (particularly USA) shopping centre, and then imagine just how many starving children the exhibited piggery, if redirected, would stop from dying.

And yeah, whilst there's all sorts of why's and wherefores as to why these (and many other) children are dying of starvation and disease, it doesn’t detract from their individual suffering.

Nb. Sorry chaps for the rant, but having just tucked my boys into bed, watched their sleeping cherubic faces, my thoughts turned to the image of some innocent / displaced Afghan father doing the same act with his starving children, in some freezing tent 4000' up on a desolate plain, with winter coming, with the knowledge that there's nothing much that he can do to help them, and that their tiny bellies will be as empty tomorrow as today - just how does one cope with that ?

So, to those crews who are flying-in relief aid destined (we hope) for these children - God's speed !

B747wideboy
2nd Oct 2001, 03:50
Not sure this threadīs on the right forum, DA, but I think aid is being sent to Afghanistan.

Donīt forget that the Taliban put these people in this position. Iīm sure weīre all agreed that aid is required and that itīs only right and proper that itīs being provided but in the longer term these people need fair and reasonable government.