PDA

View Full Version : Crossroad

Carambar
11th Feb 2009, 23:09
PPruners,

Just after some advice, please don’t shoot me down! :sad:

I have just graduated with engineering degree and was lucky enough in landing a graduate position with an aerospace company. I have been flying part-time throughout my uni days, and have always considered going full-time. Only hurdle was the finance.

I now have the opportunity to go full-time with training covered by FEE-Help (Grad. Dip at UniSA) or continue with my current job.

My question is, considering the current climate, is it worth giving up an engineering job (with room for progression) to commit myself to full-time flight training? Keeping in mind that upon graduation I can expect circa $25K p.a in GA for the next 4-5 yrs?

I realize one needs to put in the hard-yards in order to get to that dream job. Nothing comes easy. So I’m just after some advice from anyone who has done this in the past or know of anyone in the same boat.

Cheers,
Carambar

flog
11th Feb 2009, 23:18
IMHO - Keep the job, use every penny you have (live at home with Mum, etc.) towards your CPL/MECIR, THEN go get a flying job with no debt.

You can do a 150hr CPL part time while you work. It will take longer but the no debt part is GOLD when you move to the flying career.

At a guess, depending on how often you end up at the pub after realising you have an income now, you'll be done in 18 months, likely ahead of the students you would have been in class with under the Diploma, and did I mention no debt?

Flog.

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Feb 2009, 23:33
What flog says!

Go for it!

Dr :8

solowflyer
11th Feb 2009, 23:34
Wise words from Flog no debt will help out immensely when your out bush living on 2 min noodles.

It might sound weird but it is probably the best time to do your training in an economic down turn because by the time you have finished all the study and training the next hiring frenzy will be on. History dictates they happen about every 10 years. I am betting that the next 2 - 3 years will be interesting.

the wizard of auz
11th Feb 2009, 23:38
What Flog said. :ok:

tinpis
11th Feb 2009, 23:38
There was a hiring frenzy ten years ago? :hmm:

the wizard of auz
12th Feb 2009, 00:00
I didn't notice one....... but maybe I'm getting old like you Tinny. Maybe lusim ting ting bilong me???........ check- pants on. :E

solowflyer
12th Feb 2009, 00:21
I did my flight training not long after 911. It was all doom and gloom in the aviation Industry at the time then all of a sudden all our instructors started disappearing to the airlines very rapidly to the point we nearly had no instructors. That was nearly 10 years ago It may not have been as big as the last 18 months but it did happen.

the wizard of auz
12th Feb 2009, 00:39
I was bashing bug smashers around when that all happened. I was also looking for employment in something bigger and faster, but ended up ferrying single engined pistons to lots of SE Asian countries over large tracts of water, as there didn't seem to be any work elsewhere. I guess I missed it while away on a trip. :bored:

Carambar
12th Feb 2009, 00:51
Thanks for the response everyone. I think I will continue with my part-time flying and get myself up to CPL level. Once (if) I get there, I will weight out my options and see if it's worth the gamble.

flog: Indeed, the 'no debt' option is very attractive considering I already owe the government $25K in HECS!

solowflyer: Not too worried about the 2min noodle diet mate, I was at uni for 4yrs :yuk:

As for the next hiring frenzy....so long as no one crashes a passenger jet into another iconic monument, 10 yrs is a safe bet I reckon! :}

Carambar

tinpis
12th Feb 2009, 00:59
Well, I been watchin' it for over forty years, and I reckon the last 3 or so have been the only time they been hiring the otherwise un-hirable.:hmm:

Di_Vosh
12th Feb 2009, 00:59
Good advice from Flog. :ok:

Also, you SHOULD be able to earn a little more than $25k flying singles. Probably more like early to mid 30's.

DIVOSH!

GADRIVR
12th Feb 2009, 01:43
Love your work Tinpis:E

Mr. Hat
12th Feb 2009, 02:40
Personally given the way conditions are going at the moment in your shoes i'd stay away from the pilot game. Have a look at the Terms and Conditions on offer at the moment and its only likely to get worse. While cost of living increases T & C's decrease. Have a look at Cathay A B C scales.

To look further into the future of Australia look at the United States. About the only guys and gals making a decent living there are those in Legacy Majors.The rest do it because they just want to fly and alot of them make about the same as a school bus driver if they are lucky.

However, if its what you've always dreamed of and you won't be able to live with yourself if you don't have a go then......go on.

PyroTek
12th Feb 2009, 04:56
Carambar!
I thought we were gonna do PPL Navs together! Better not leave!

:ok:Pyro

yowieII
12th Feb 2009, 09:31
So Tinny,
Why where you hired above the non-hireables back in the day:confused:

Pluto's gone
12th Feb 2009, 09:44
Its great listening to advice from otheres, take it on board, however...

Do what's in your heart, no matter if others think it doesn't make sense, if its what you want to do go for it.

True the industry has settled down but people are still getting hired. I have seen several career changes spend the bomb and then get straight into the RHS.

Do what ever will make you happy!