PDA

View Full Version : FI(H) in SE of the UK

jonseagull
11th Feb 2009, 19:29
Anyone out there know of somebody with an FIC qualification that would be interested in taking a part time student through an FI(H) course in the SE of England (Redhill-ideally)? I would like to do the course spread over a 3-4 month period as I'm not in a hurry.

Failing that, any recommendations of schools offering the course in the SE?

Ta

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2009, 19:44
I think there's only about half a dozen FI(H) instructors in the country. Although there are more schools which offer the course, I think they "share" instructors who are working on a freelance basis.

Off the top of my head, your nearest might be Mike Green at Helicopter Services in High Wycombe though I believe he's prepared to travel.

However, the nature of the FI(H) course is such that full time would be better as it's quite intense.

Cheers

Whirls

Flugplatz
11th Feb 2009, 21:12
Elite Helicopters in Goodwood have got two instructors down there and a variety of aircraft; good training airfield too and nearby terrain. Friendly school and lots of GA on the field (radio not tower too). I enjoyed my training there

Flug

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2009, 21:33
I don't think Elite offer the FI(H) course; at least they don't according to their website.

Cheers

Whirls

Delta75
11th Feb 2009, 21:40
There is an FI(H) instructor at Aeromega (Cambridge). pm me if you want more details etc.

windowseatplease
12th Feb 2009, 09:12
There is Mike Beale at London Helicopter Centre, at Redhill.

VeeAny
12th Feb 2009, 09:17
Mike Bill who was the FIC at London Helis is now an FIE and works out of Coventry at the Helicentre.

Flugplatz
12th Feb 2009, 20:13
Apologies Whirls! you are correct! I need to read the post a bit better next time.

Flugoid

firebird_uk
12th Feb 2009, 22:32
Have you tried Fast at Shoreham? I know they offer an FI(H) course, although I also think that they regard it as to intensive to be broken up into a part time course.

Looking at the location you give they would seem to be the obvious choice?

jonseagull
13th Feb 2009, 10:52
Thanks for. All of your responses guys. I get the feeling the course isn't often done part time. I have no other option unfortunately. Does anyone else out there have experience of doing similar ?

flight beyond sight
13th Feb 2009, 16:12
Helicopter Services at High Wycombe may be able to help contact Mike Green or Leon Smith

albyskoons
14th Feb 2009, 11:33
jonseagull : let me know how you get on with your search.

I'm based in East Anglia and looking for a somewhere that could offer a full-ish time course in an R22, but with the flexibility to train over the weekends allowing me to keep a presence at work during the week.

The key is to keep the employer happy!!

They'd let me take days off in a kind of 2-3-2-3 pattern, if only I could find an FTO that'd let me do 4-5-4-5.

The weekends seem to be the sticking point!

Heli-Jock
15th Feb 2009, 15:15
I'd do it with Mike Green. The mans a legend and a first class teacher. I did my FI(H) test with him 4 years back and have done other training since then. It was was one of the best and worst experiences of my life! Best because i learnt more from him in one day than ive learnt with other instructors in one month. Worst because, mike doesnt want to know what you know about heli's and teaching, he wants to know what you dont know, and probes that avenue till hes sure you know what you are talking about.
He wont come cheap tho, especially if you want him to travel to you.
Rest assured tho, if he trains you up, you will be well on the road to being a good instructor.

HJ

The Nr Fairy
15th Feb 2009, 17:48
I'll second that.

Even if you think "I'm not sure I'm learning anything" you WILL be. As long as your mind is open and receptive.

jonseagull
17th Feb 2009, 12:06
Does anyone know of anybody that has done an FIC on a part time basis?

albyskoons
17th Feb 2009, 14:03
Everyone that I've spoken with (instructors and students alike) are agreed that part-time isn't the way to go, arguing that it would be hard to maintain the required standard with large breaks.

I'm game to do a four week course - just need to find someone who'll give up their weekends for the duration!! .... Anyone?? :-)