PDA

View Full Version : CX cadet pilot programme Stage 1 in Apr '09

CIV0T6
11th Feb 2009, 06:08
I'm new to this forum, greetings to all :)
So I'm going in for the stage 1 interview on the week for april 6, wondering if anyone's going in on the same week. We can possibly share ideas of how to prep for the interview.
For the ones who've gone in to the interview previously, feel free to post your tips and expereince, greatly appreciated!

Cheers:ok:

rckb
12th Feb 2009, 09:52
Going to HK April 4.

Her_mes
12th Feb 2009, 11:02
Hey, I'm new to here as well, and I will be attending the Stage 1A interview on the 6th April. Nice to meet you all.
I will probably be in HK on the 4th April also.

CIV0T6
15th Feb 2009, 03:05
I guess Apr 6 is the time for oversea applicants interview. Do you guys have any previous flying knowledge/expereince? How are you guys prepping for it? Was curious how in-depth would they ask you for technical stuff.

rckb
16th Feb 2009, 05:54
I would stay focus on Stage 1A and 1B first, there no use to prepare Stage 2 at this time. Since we are not going for phase 2 yet, of coz you could read some information and get yourself prepare for stage 2. But still, stay focus on Stage 1 is the main priority. By the way, since you and I from Toronto, try not letting the jetlag affect your interview performance. :O

CIV0T6
18th Feb 2009, 03:04
I agree, that's why I'm planning to fly back to HK one week in advance to get myself into good shape. So where are you from in TO and what's your background (if you don't mind) :O

rckb
18th Feb 2009, 07:30
I live 16/McCowen
Background = IT

dagger19
3rd Mar 2009, 17:08
hi i'm going for the initial test on the 6th april too.
any background information of u guys?
one curious question, did u ppl quit ur job for the interview? it was quite rush for me to reply whether i agree to fly back to hk for the interview.
nice to meet you guys =)

1BLU095
3rd Mar 2009, 22:16
Hey Dagger,

I didnt quit my job, was just open and honest with my emploer and told him i was trying for CX and potentially needed the month of april off depending on how far a i get.
I was pretty lucky as they have been 100% supportive.

I'll be in HK on Apr 4th to prepare!

binbin
4th Mar 2009, 04:58
Hi all,

I am from Vancouver and I just submitted my application. I have two questions that I hope you can help me answer:

a) How long did you guys wait to get a reply?

b) Am I required to mail in any documents (ex. transcript, cover letter etc.), or just the online application itself is fine?

Thanks!

dagger19
4th Mar 2009, 12:54
binbin -> i applied dec 08 and only got response from cathay this feb. guess they take pretty long to response to ur application

1BLU085 -> hey i studied in brisbane too, maybe we and the rest who're coming for april 6 interview should exchange contacts for further information exchange =X nice to meet u anyway =)

CIV0T6
4th Mar 2009, 19:15
Hey binbin,

I submitted my app. back in nov 08 and got a respond in 2 weeks, I'm going in on the Apr 6 interview, guess I'll see a lot of you guys there!

As far as I remember, I only submitted my resume during application, and they'll ask you to bring in ur trasncript and other documents when you go in the actual interview.

Good luck guys!

dagger19
11th Mar 2009, 13:06
so how is everyone's preparation for the interview so far???

jeffreymui
13th Mar 2009, 05:36
hey guys im fron sydney and i am going to stage one with u guys on the 6th of april...hope to see u guys there, btw im just wondering would the initial test be hard? because my friend who attended the stage one test a year ago, and he said it was quite hard to pass, since they are not looking for full marks student and stuff like that

Ray-Lee
13th Mar 2009, 23:50
Hey,

I'll be there on the 6th as well. Landing in HK on the 5th.

Anyone know how many attend stage 1a?
Reading this so far I've got:
CIV0T6, rckb, her_mes, Dagger19, 1BLU095, JeffryMui, Me = 7.

My background is in IT.

Her_mes
14th Mar 2009, 06:44
Hi everyone... seems like there's quite alot of people from Australia, XD
:D
anyway, just wondering how's the preparation work for everyone?

jeffreymui
14th Mar 2009, 09:38
yeah what have u guys prepared exactly? im quite nervous and duno what to prepare......i'll land on the 2nd of april.....and are all of u guys graduated from university? my back ground is civil engineering

Ray-Lee
14th Mar 2009, 12:42
There's not a lot you can prepare with.

From what I was told/read, there's a few parts for stage 1a.

you've got an English listening test, English grammer test - try listening to online radio stations of various nations if you need to, to understand the various national accents.

Aptitude testing - from what I've read is about hand-eye co-ordination and psychomotor skills.

Reasoning test - 3D shapes (I think). if you can find a test paper for these then study it.

Finally the presentation.

jeffreymui
14th Mar 2009, 13:16
one more questions guys...just wondering u know how they sent us email regarding if we can attend or not right? we just reply them and say that we can attend...thats all they want from us in confirming? sorry for all these questions

Ray-Lee
14th Mar 2009, 14:47
yea, they give you a date to attend.. you confirm your attendance (or not)... and then they'll send you an email confirming everything a week or two later along with a map of Cathay City. That was my case anyway.

jeffreymui
14th Mar 2009, 15:21
okay thanks buddy!!!!!!!

CIV0T6
14th Mar 2009, 15:37
hey jefferymui,

good job! another civil engineer :P (same here)

dagger19
14th Mar 2009, 16:49
i guess the tight timing to confirm our attendance didnt hinder us from living our dreams. haha i was lucky to reply cos i happened to check my mail.

cathay only gave me 3 days including that day they sent me the email to confirm the attendance.

was wondering how are u guys preparing for the interview? i read and found out u need to know alot to be prepared. kinda scary.

rckb
15th Mar 2009, 08:10
just stay clam.. nervous/scar/no-confident.. LEAD you to FAIL.. just rmb that.. just like the Email said.. We are going for Stage 1 which we can not prepare(other than the 5 mins presentation)... don't just assume and plan ahead of the stages... well i say better know some info get prepare ahead.. but dont' really dwell on it.. since you never know you can pass stage 1 and those info you study are gonna be useful... even you pass you still have alot of time to prepare for further step. so dont' worry too much... Just like what William Huang said.. I did my best.. and i am not regret haha... add oil everyone.. and see you guys sooon

iceman1130
15th Mar 2009, 16:36
If you guyz are saying that 1A is the initial test then no worry, cuz is not reli that difficult. i hv passed it and got a call for the 1 to 1 interview tomorrow. so i should be more scare then u guyz cuz they wont send u any email to remind u this time n they dun give u any topic to prepare for.

Ray-Lee
15th Mar 2009, 16:39
cool. Good luck.
AFAIK it's just a standard HR interview that you'd have in any other large company.

iceman1130
15th Mar 2009, 16:51
is best for those who r prepping for the presentation should mention something about what aircrafts you might be using to train if u r to be trained in Flight Training Adelaide. n also u can prepare some background info about the liscening. good luck for those who hv the test.

jeffreymui
17th Mar 2009, 09:05
about the presentation, do we just randomly talk about what we will be doing and what plane is involve during thetime in adelaide? or they'll ask u some questions and u just answer it?

Ray-Lee
17th Mar 2009, 11:12
it's a presentation (or random talk) about "The training aspect of the Cadet Pilot Programme at Cathay Pacific"... talk about what you like on the topic for up to 5 minutes.:)

wskwong
17th Mar 2009, 20:31
This might be a stupid question, but....

you have to pay for own flight ticket to hk, right? =) Or can you do 1st stage interview say through a webcam or something?

and is it too late to apply for this year's cadet program?

Anyone has a schedule as to when to apply throughout the year? are the interviews always start in april?

Anyone know the oldest cadet they take in?

for those who currrently have a job, how do you manage to have interviews in hk? the process would probably take nearly a month, right?

capt_akun
18th Mar 2009, 01:03
wskwong -

1. You can't do a webcam interview. You'll have to purchase your own return tickets back to hong kong for all interviews. I hope you are ready for the stint, because you can go back as much as 4 times...etc

2. It's never too late to apply for the program. They are always looking, and are always searching for the best available candidate. Interviews starts all year around. Just depends how they schedule you.

3. Heard there are as old as 30 going in. But who knows. If you are a good candidate and havn't gone pass your expire date, I am sure they'll give you a go.

4. For people who has jobs, they would have to take annual leave to go back to hong kong for the interview, barring it's not the weekend, then it would be better. But really, that depends on your luck.

raafhornet
18th Mar 2009, 02:38
i envy all you HK residents..

bhkb
19th Mar 2009, 20:57
Hey Guys,

Congratulations to those who got invited. I also got invited for the April screening but I declined that one and asked for a later date. I'm most likely going to attend June or August, 2009. The reason why I asked for a later date was because I need to finish my PPL before heading back. This is my second time attending this screening. I have a lot of information I can provide to assist you your own preparation.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

I'll be more than happy to provide what I can.

Anyways, to give my own advice, I was told the following:
1. You should really get some flying experience - even though they say you don't need it they will screen out those who don't have at least 50 hours. I don't know how valid this is but I was told by my own friends are who in Cathay.
2. 90% of the people who don't make it is because of their personality. So you really need to shine in the interview. You may have all the great things on paper but if your personality sucks you may not get in
3. Don't lie - be honest and true to yourself. The interviewers will grill you in so many ways but really asking the same question
4. Show your passion and eagerness to learn
etc
etc
etc

I'm currently flying @ Buttonville Airport for those who are in Toronto. If you guys would like to meet feel free to email me. I'm always up for meeting other pilot enthusiasts.

Got to run. Good luck everybody!

rckb
22nd Mar 2009, 05:37
Bhkb.. Good Luck.. My favourit is G-JOB and G-UVH... haha.. rocket fast...

dohsun7
22nd Mar 2009, 20:04
Hi Boys and Girls,

I'm an overseas applicant and have an interview on the 7th, planning to arrive in HK on the 3rd. Would love to meet up with others to discuss prep work and get to know people for the group exercises.

I appreciate all the post so far on this thread and others so keep up the good work and I will add my own in due course.

Dohsun.

jeffreymui
23rd Mar 2009, 00:43
so so we present our presentation in front of all? or just to the examiners?

rckb
23rd Mar 2009, 03:38
Look like there alot of people going for the April 6 section.

Jeffrey: you will present to the interviewer

dagger19
23rd Mar 2009, 09:19
i'm thinking for those who are going hk for selection, things tt u might consider preparing includes the following,
- calculator (not required as mentioned)
- stationery (for stage 2)
- specs for medical exam (if u are wearing one)
- sunglasses for flight grading (woooHoooo)

please add on if u guys have other suggestions.

Andrew_W
23rd Mar 2009, 10:35
I did my stage 1A on 29 Dec last year n' going to stage 1b on 7 Apr. I just got my PPL last week. I'm currently flying in Brisbane Archerfield. Keep contact and good luck~

Iceman_Wannabe
23rd Mar 2009, 13:37
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I have been accepted for the 1A Initial Test on the 7th of April 2009. I will probably be flying to Hong Kong a few days before so if any of you guys fancy meeting up before the dreaded date then please feel free to give me a hola!

Anyway, just curious!..... but does every applicant get a shot at the 1A stage or should I count myself lucky that I have been asked to attend?

Hope to meet some of you guys soon!

bhkb
23rd Mar 2009, 22:23
Rckb,

hahaha I like those two planes too!

I don't like C-GEYW as I had a bad experience flying solo.

Any plane with the flap indicators (10, 20, 30, 40) I like lol.

bhkb
23rd Mar 2009, 22:43
Anyone here flying in Buttonville? or part of the BFC - flying club?

darren128
26th Mar 2009, 19:34
hi, i was just wondering how you compleated the application form, when you need a hkid number? would be verry grateful if you could help me out

Ray-Lee
26th Mar 2009, 19:55
you need to have a HK ID card to apply for the cadet scheme. So if you don't have one of those cards... you can't apply.

a HK ID card is basically proof that you have the right of abode in HK.

darren128
29th Mar 2009, 18:17
so how can i apply for a hk id card????

Ray-Lee
29th Mar 2009, 18:21
google is your friend :)

Immigration Department | 入境事務處 (http://www.immd.gov.hk/index.html)

dagger19
30th Mar 2009, 15:45
just one minor question, for the presentation of stage 1a, will you be standing or sitting when presenting?

Danizer
31st Mar 2009, 06:11
man, i'm so far away from you guys but u all got me so worked up for it =(

im thinking of applying for the program after university...

whatd u guys study in uni?

Danizer
31st Mar 2009, 06:19
u usually have to have been born in HK or have lived there for 7+ years =)

luckily, i was born in HK hehehe

jeffreymui
4th Apr 2009, 15:30
hey guys, how do we get there? i live right opposite to HK university, anyone actually prepared the 5 mins presentation? i mean exact 5 mins? and also, any website contains the details of the licence stuff so i can study more abt it?

CIV0T6
5th Apr 2009, 00:51
hey jefferymui,

I've talked to CX and they said if you take MTR to Tung chung station, u can transfer to S64 bus to CX city.
Good luck and see u guys tmr.
As far as the presentation, it's pretty much the stuff u can see on their webpage, and remember it's max 5 mins, so it doesn't have to be 5 mins exact.

jeffreymui
5th Apr 2009, 02:49
hey guys...what we have to wear for the initial test? still formal wear? or we can just wear simple shirts and tie?

Ray-Lee
5th Apr 2009, 08:17
Hey guys, i'm currently writing this at HK airport as i'm waiting for someone, but good luck and I'll see you all tomorrow!

jeffreymui
5th Apr 2009, 14:43
thanks for all the replies from all of u......i'll see u lots tomorrow in cathay city!!!

bhkb
5th Apr 2009, 15:07
Best of luck to you all!

Keep us posted of your progress!

wskwong
6th Apr 2009, 17:29
hey folks, there are various videos online from previous Cadets during training....

i have never seen one of them with prescription glasses.

But i've heard that it's not an absolute requirement? And I've heard you need 20/20 vision with or without prescription glasses.

Nevertheless, I've seen tons of cathay senior pilots with glasses.

What is the chance of getting into the program if I do wear them?

wskwong
6th Apr 2009, 20:06
Thanks for the reply~! =)

anyone know when stage one interview would end for this year? I don't know when I should submit my application because I don't want to go back to hk during the summer, i will sweat like a pig =P....and I want to accumulate more training hours before then as well.....

bhkb
7th Apr 2009, 03:00
CX has various selection dates throughout the year. Just apply when you are ready. Good luck everyone!

For those that attended the April screening, how did you guy do??

Give us some feedback!

Cheers

jeffreymui
7th Apr 2009, 06:22
hey guys just finsihed the initial test yesterday...and just recieved a call from them asking me to go on the 1st interview tomorrow...any of u guys know what it'll be based on?

Ray-Lee
7th Apr 2009, 06:24
i imagine i met you today while i was waiting for my 1b.

it's very relaxed and not really an interview.. they just want to know a bit more about your background - education, work, personality etc...

jeffreymui
7th Apr 2009, 06:33
my name is jeffrey, so u had ur 1b yesterday? is that all they ask u abt? anything technical abt planes?

Ray-Lee
7th Apr 2009, 06:37
no i had it today. 1a was yesterday.

nothing amazingly technical. any questions they ask are based on your answers and technical knowledge that you reveal during the interview. so if you know the ins and outs of aircraft.. expect something a little more difficult.. else, it'll be a simple technical question like what are the purpose of flaps or something on a similar level.

jeffreymui
7th Apr 2009, 06:43
i see thanks for the reply i assume ur name is ray hahaha good luck mate

CIV0T6
7th Apr 2009, 14:27
hey jeffery,
so i guess i met you yesterday and went for interview together? i'm bad with names haha
i bet u r the other guy from australia (not patrick)
so u r doing ur 1b on the 8th too? same here
wish u luck pal!:ok:

jeffreymui
7th Apr 2009, 15:05
ur raymond? yeah what time is urs? mine is 11:45

bhkb
7th Apr 2009, 15:12
Congratulations for making the interview. Gives us feedback! e.g. questions asked, etc. Good luck

CIV0T6
7th Apr 2009, 15:17
hey jeffery,
yup, it's ray :P
i'm going in at 2:15 tmr, gd luck with u pal, keep us posted with ur status. Hope to see u guys in the 2nd interview, cheers:)
(are u the dude with glasses?, trying to backtrack some faces)

jeffreymui
7th Apr 2009, 15:26
yeah im from sydney and with glasses but not patrick....haha good luck to u aswell mate.....hope to see u soon whats ur msn? i can add u and we can contact easier

CIV0T6
7th Apr 2009, 15:42
hey jeffery,
msn: [email protected]

rckb
7th Apr 2009, 15:57
Ray, my 1B is totally different than yours, probably we have different HR.

Did you get any reply?

CIV0T6
8th Apr 2009, 15:41
rckb,
I went thru my 1b today and I felt it went fairly well. Much to my surprise they called me half an hour after I left and I was asked to attend 2nd interview on the 22nd.
Keep me posted on how u guys r doing, cheers!

Ray-Lee
8th Apr 2009, 15:42
:ok: awesome. i got a call a few hours after i left and will be attending the 22nd also. so i'll see you there!

CIV0T6
8th Apr 2009, 15:46
Ray-Lee,
CX said we'll receive the JKI booklet thru email soon, did you get urs yet? Just anxious to start cramming that stuff. Anyway, would u like to exchange contact and meet up for studying or drinks and what not? Since we're assigned to the same day and might very well work together during group activities. Cheers!

Ray-Lee
8th Apr 2009, 15:48
not got the booklet yet, but as i know, the others that are going to stage 2 don't have it either. just wait i guess

bhkb
8th Apr 2009, 16:07
CIV0T6Do you have any flying experience?

CIV0T6
8th Apr 2009, 16:09
nope, no flying at all

bhkb
8th Apr 2009, 16:09
btw, I have the booklet from my last attempt. if you guys want send me an email:

[email protected]

Goodluck!

bhkb
8th Apr 2009, 16:15
Do you have an engineering degree?

CIV0T6
8th Apr 2009, 16:25
yup, undergrad civil, grad structural
n u?

jeffreymui
8th Apr 2009, 16:41
i got called today aswell...21st april is my day:) who else? congrats ray.lee and raymond!!!

CIV0T6
8th Apr 2009, 16:46
jeffery,
that's good news from you :ok: unfortunately we rn't in the same 2nd stage, best of luck and hopefully we'll see each other at the MI or FG

bhkb
8th Apr 2009, 18:47
Double major in Economics & Communication

wskwong
8th Apr 2009, 19:53
What is the JKI booklet?

Someone mentioned here "From the ground up" as well...is that what they gave you? that's a tough one to understand.....

captainabcdefg
8th Apr 2009, 22:39
G'day guys, could I ask if this is the cathay cadetship that requires you to have a HK residency?

If not, does anyone have info on the cathay-Flight Training Adelaide instructor cadetship?

Good luck with all your.

Cheers.

CIV0T6
9th Apr 2009, 01:18
wskwong,
JKI is the job knowledge information book which we should get, not sure if they change it or the name as I'm still waiting for my book in my inbox.

WesternForce
9th Apr 2009, 02:10
Hey everyone, my stage 2 is on the 21st, glad to see most of you from my group have made it through. Andrew has started a new thread for stage 2 in the forum page if you didnt already know.

I asked the lady on the phone if the book was "from the ground up" and she said that they had changed it from that one to this new one as the old one was circulating around to much...

And captain, at the moment it is for hk residents only, but i have heard around DB that they're going to be opening it to anyone by the end of this year... not sure if its 100% true, but worth keeping an ear out for.

All the best to all of you

dagger19
9th Apr 2009, 02:34
did u all got the invitation call for stage 2 on the same day of interview 1b?
i had my 1b yesterday but yet got a call or email.
i'm giving up hope little by little as i still receive no call till now.
should i call up and check or wait till later of the day?
my guess is they have already informed all the successful candidates n now slowly spreading the bad news to the unsuccessful ones... ha...

CIV0T6
9th Apr 2009, 02:38
hey dagger,
i got my call 1/2 hr after i had my interview. well, no news is good news. sometimes they may call u a bit later than expected, just hang in there buddy. hope to see u at stage 2, cheers:)

captainabcdefg
9th Apr 2009, 05:20
Hi WesternForce, thanks for the info :)

WesternForce
9th Apr 2009, 06:10
Captain, No worries mate, best of luck.

I got my call the same day as my 1B interview too. My interview was at 0930 and got the call at 1500... but thats not to say that you wont get a call. I wouldnt call them though... wait to hear from them. I'm sure you'll be ok

nlk
24th Jul 2009, 13:31
I hope u performed the interview well.i would like to know the details about cx cadet pilot programme. i hope u send me the details ....................

cadetpilotwannabe
27th Jan 2010, 03:45
Hello, I am new here. I just done my stage 1 initial test on Jan 13. And now I am waiting for their call for stage 1 interview. How's everyone going? Anyone of your in the program already?

sony1
7th Apr 2010, 01:27
i have applied for the cadet scheme 6 months ago but no reply and they just say your current application is being processed but its said that for last six months can anyone help me on contact details by phone?

Ronny1992
7th Apr 2010, 02:23
Try posting this in Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program thread here http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/378978-cathay-pacific-cadet-pilot-programme.html

Phili-T
11th Apr 2010, 11:33
@dagger19

hey. I applied August last year and only got back to them February this year. after going through the 1st stage they told me 10 days and I waited 12 before I got the call to stage 2& 3. No news is good news it seems. Keep you head up man. :ok:

pokemon3
12th Apr 2010, 13:09
Hi,

Any latest info about the CX initial interview in KL ? Please share some info. on the questions asked for the interview and written test.Thanks!:)