PDA

View Full Version : question on flight duty times

cl601 driver
10th Feb 2009, 20:12
based in uk

spent 4 days away in usa, flew through the night leaving at 0100z. Upon return to uk, had 19 hours rest, was asked to fly to usa, 6 hours behind.

I was told that having adapted to usa time, this did not apply to when i returned to home base. the duty was planned at 13 hours.

It was my understanding that i needed time to adjust back to uk time, or else i was still on local time for usa, which meant that I could not complete this duty as it was an early report.

does anyone have any feedback if this is correct, or does it imply that when you return home, you are back on the local time, regardless of length of duty away.

thanks for your help

skylog
10th Feb 2009, 20:22
Check this out, Brilliant tool :

European Cockpit Association (ECA) Website - For Better Legal Protection Against Pilot Fatigue (http://www.eurocockpit.be/content/view/414/252/)

Use the FTL Calculator:ok:

Rainboe
10th Feb 2009, 20:28
Looks like you were Not Acclimatised, had between 18-30 rest, therefore flying duty period limit 11.30? For us, sector length over 11 hours, Not Applicable for Not Acclimatised, or treated as 4 sectors for Acclimatised. looks ilegal, but it all depends on what scheme you are working to!

DGAC
10th Feb 2009, 21:36
What does your company Ops Manual say? Should be in Part A, Section 7.

cl601 driver
11th Feb 2009, 00:02
They running with easa

because it is not stated in black and white, there are many interpretations, which obviously they pick to suit themselves.
the only mention of being acclamitised is when you are away. they say that when you return home, you are back on local time.

DGAC
11th Feb 2009, 08:33
If you're based in UK on a UK AOC, then your FTL scheme should be based on CAP371, which defines acclimatised as :

'Acclimatised'
When a crew member has spent 3 consecutive local nights on the ground within a time zone which is 2 hours wide, and is able to take uninterrupted nights sleep. The crew member will remain acclimatised thereafter until a duty period finishes at a place where local time differs by more than 2 hours from that at the point of departure.

and a Local Night is defined as:

'Local Night'
A period of 8 hours falling between 2200 and 0800 hours local time.

So before looking further into the "legalities" of your question, did you have 3 local nights in the US and hence were you "acclimatised" or "non-acclimatised"?

NigelOnDraft
11th Feb 2009, 08:55
So before looking further into the "legalities" of your question, did you have 3 local nights in the US and hence were you "acclimatised" or "non-acclimatised"?Sorry - disagree ;) Irrelevant whether he had 1,2,3 or 20 Local Nights in the USA. For the last UK-USA sector he was "unacclimatised" due <<The crew member will remain acclimatised thereafter until a duty period finishes at a place where local time differs by more than 2 hours from that at the point of departure.>> i.e. the USA-UK leg - IMHO.

NoD

cl601 driver
11th Feb 2009, 10:22
thanks for response

I had 4 local nights in usa. returned at 10am on day 5 and day 6 reported at 6am local in uk.

The question was, am i now acclimitised to home local time as soon as i land, or again do i need 3 local nights. the answer pending determines the length of my duty day.

wiggy
11th Feb 2009, 10:57
Well if you are in CAP 371 land the answer is "no, you were not acclimatised. If you had "shifted" by more than 2 hours from the time zone of departure you need 3 local nights on the new time zone, free of duty, before you are Acclimatised again...being at home or away has nothing to do with it.

Instead of bending the acclimatised defn. could the Company have used "Commanders discretion" to make it legal for you to operate?

.....and not told you?

DGAC
11th Feb 2009, 12:34
Quite right NoD. I stand corrected.