PDA

View Full Version : Old film....

Duchess_Driver
10th Feb 2009, 18:59
Many moons ago I remember seeing a promo film for the RAF about (12) Sqn Bucs deploying to Gib.

Some stunning sunset shots of the Bucs flying around the rock.

Any offers for

a) Title
b) Publisher (SSVC?)
c) ISBN Number (film equivalent)
d) Music backing tracks (Classical)

Thanks in advance

10th Feb 2009, 19:11
I think I had a copy of that on Video many years ago..A twin tape featuring Buccs, Nimrod, Tornado and Jaguar.
Made up of recruiting videos and called IIRC 'Great warplanes of the RAF'

I think the music on the Bucc's was Vangelis...that's all I can help with !

QuestorPhil
10th Feb 2009, 19:25
If you were to google the following:

Classic British Jets: Buccaneer

I think you might find extracts from the film. If nothing else, it might tell you where the film was taken from.

QP

Cpt_Pugwash
10th Feb 2009, 19:30
D_D

I have a copy of the double pack in front of me now. Serial No. AVL1

Produced by the Aviation Video Library, Tunbridge Wells. Seems to be dated 9/91.

Don't know if the contact numbers on the package would still be relevant.

PW

SirToppamHat
10th Feb 2009, 19:37
It's amazing how this keeps coming up. I remember it (I think!), it included the release of a Martel TV-Guided Missile at a ship (DH of course).

As for the music:

'To the Unknown Man' by Vangelis, from the Album Spiral (andlater included in others).

It was the low flying over the sea with that music that made it so memorable.

If I can find a link to a clip of the music I will post it here.

VVVVV CLIP REMOVED AS CRAP! See Below VVVVV

STH

foldingwings
10th Feb 2009, 19:38
a) 12 Squadron Buccaneers
b) It actually went on general release in cinemas as 'the short' before the main movie - ah, those were the days
c) Pass - see my PM
d) Vangelis - Spiral

Foldie

SirToppamHat
10th Feb 2009, 19:50
I think I have found the film on YouTube (10 mins of it anyway), though my broadband is very narrow and it doesn't seem to want play very well:

12 Sqn Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=C4vkBWLmnZA&gl=GB)

Can someone post to say whether it is or isn't the one?

STH

foldingwings
10th Feb 2009, 20:01
That's it but, of course, it's much longer. Many of the scenes have also been stolen by documentary makers but that's the original with the Vangelis soundtrack.

Foldie

Top Bunk Tester
10th Feb 2009, 21:40
Foldingwings

The main theme was definitley 'To the unknown man' but I have a nagging feeling that 'Spiral' was also used in parts of it as well.

Background Noise
10th Feb 2009, 22:19
"It's Kent, it's Kent". It's also 'To the Unknown Man', compare the youtube link with this: Amazon.co.uk: To The Unknown Man: MP3 Downloads: Vangelis (http://www.amazon.co.uk/To-The-Unknown-Man/dp/B001MXTMSA/ref=sr_f2_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1234307344&sr=102-2)

S'land
10th Feb 2009, 22:46
According to the info at the side of the YouTube clip the complete film (about half an hour) is available for download at:
ADrive.com – 50GB of Free Online Storage & Backup (http://www.adrive.com/public/897a4be92a0f0dffdc60a4f18c296d20c3078fa841d9d6242fb1466c991f 55bf.html)

Looks to be about 500 MB

Ogre
11th Feb 2009, 00:51
Ah the classic line "Bananas, Bananas, Bananas". I was quite stirred by the clip until I ended up on a Bucc squadron with some of the "actors", and seeing them on a day to day basis to the shine of it.

Duchess_Driver
11th Feb 2009, 17:59
To all that have responded, thank you very much.

Happy days.

foldingwings
11th Feb 2009, 18:27
I think the album is called Spiral, however!

Foldie

vespasia
11th Feb 2009, 23:11
You can still get hold of the DVD Classic British Jets:Buccaneer and the entire 12Sqn film is included as an extra (is on my copy anyhow). I bought the DVD specifically for this reason (happy ATC film night memories - for some reason this was the only film we never got bored with no matter how many times we'd seen it). Here's a link where you can get hold of it:

Buccaneer Classic British Jets DVD : Duke Video : Free UK Delivery (http://www.dukevideo.com/General-Interest/DVD/Aviation/Plane-Profiles/Buccaneer-Classic-British-Jets-DVD.aspx)

:ok:

Seymour Belvoir
12th Feb 2009, 20:20
The things you find out on pprune....just ordered a copy, thanks for the info!