PDA

View Full Version : Let Policemen fly Free

whatshouldiuse
29th Sep 2001, 01:13
Don't know if the name Colin Ferguson rings a bell to you? He was the nut who started shooting up a Long Island Rail Road Commuter Train 5 or 6 years ago killing 6 or 7 people and injuring scores more.

Shortly thereafter, LIRR gave policeman the carte blanche to let them commute for free. Since then, barely a whisper of discontent from anyone. While I know the Cops aren't armed in the U.K, what do you think about airlines letting |Police Officers fly for free on any domestic flight they take in the U.S?

While I'm well aware of the laws regarding interstate transportation of firearms and a couple of other laws that would have to be modified, I bet people would think twice before becoming belligerent, let alone hijacking a plane if they know there's the chance a couple of armed cops were sitting 4 rows behind them.

By the way, flew Jet Blue out of JFK last night. Plane was perhaps 30% full if that, more likely 25%. Security at the x-rays was extremely tight with US Marshals and the NYPD, but moved along pretty well considering everything. I arrived 3 hours early for my flight and was sitting by the boarding gate 40 minutes later. Not too shabby.

Thanks

Whatshouldiuse

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: whatshouldiuse ]

The Guvnor
29th Sep 2001, 02:04
If we tried that over here they'd be doing silly things like claiming they have guns/bombs/knives etc in their luggage!

On top of that, a number of armed officers - especially from the Met, Sussex, West Midlands and Greater Manchester forces have gained themselves rather a 'Rambo' reputations with a number of incidents where unarmed people have been killed.

JB007
29th Sep 2001, 02:49
If everyone is wondering where all the Uk police are at the moment...well, there in Brighton for the Labour Party Conference..

Blimey...they are takin no chances! Every street corner, I got stopped and asked name, address, what I was doing in town etc etc..
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/peepwall.gif
Only popped in to return a video to Blockbuster!!! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shocker.gif