PDA

View Full Version : AirlinesPNG - when is old too old!?!

beer monk
10th Feb 2009, 00:55
APNG has given a Dash cmd to a 77yo FO. Thou a former jet captain in the day, where is the cut off point.

Some people will say " as long as he can pass a medical - there's no safety issue" But it's no secret that in PNG, so long as you can make it up the stairs to the doctors office, you're pretty much assured of being issued a medical.

Is this putting the lives of the public and other crew members at risk and up to what age can a captain operate RPT internationally to Oz and within PNG?

hoss
10th Feb 2009, 01:27
flying the plane probably isn't the issue, it's whether he can keep up with the hosties.

good luck to him,hope he's got three on the run;)

psycho joe
10th Feb 2009, 03:01
Is this guy ex Lufthansa by any chance?

If it's the guy I'm thinking of then I can safely say that he's forgotten more about aviation than most people here will ever learn.

rmcdonal
10th Feb 2009, 04:08
If it's the guy I'm thinking of then I can safely say that he's forgotten more about aviation than most people here will ever learn.
I don't think anyone is questioning his skill and experience, just if there maybe some safety issues associated with the age.

inandout
10th Feb 2009, 04:39
V Australia has an age limit of 65 for flying, I thought that it was illegal to do that in Australia ?

Cravenmorehead
10th Feb 2009, 05:23
All @ Beer Monk
I really wonder what the motivation is behind this post?
Either Beer Monk is a disgruntled ex-employee of A/PNG.
Works for the opposition.
Or works for A/PNG and was not awarded the command.
Maybe he is just a TOSSER?
I know this 77 year old pilot quite well, and would call him a friend.
As part of his medical he has to undergo a Stress ECG on a yearly basis. I believe this is a requirment once past 60 (correct me if I am wrong here as I am not past 60 yet).
Chronilogical age has nothing to do with ability, nor safety in this instance. This fella is quite capable and is someone who I personally would aspire to be like at 77, if I get am lucky enough to make that age. I would not hesitate to send my family on a flight with JR. He has excellent mental and physical acuity.
I have flown with 40 year olds, who's physical age would be around 55, and well a heart attack waiting to happen. Also not nearly as clever as him.
He worked for Air Niugini for many years and flew command on 707's.
The Dash 8 is a simple old beast to fly not, terribly challenging and will be a snack for this old timer.
Beer Monk he has forgotten more about aviation and flying in PNG and other parts than you will ever learn.
Now go crawl back under your rock and give him a fair go.
By the way in Australia and PNG there are no maximum age limits on the ATPL licence. I don't know about what various companys policy are but I would think it would be a brave company in Australia that sets an age limit. I was led to believe we have discrimination laws against that sort of thing.
By the way Beer Monk I am under 40 so I don't have a special age motivation in this instance. I just think you have stepped over the line.

sundaun
10th Feb 2009, 06:08
This old guy would round you up on a wet and windy night.

inandout
10th Feb 2009, 06:14
VA do have that age limit !

Capt_SNAFU
10th Feb 2009, 06:31
Inandout VA has an age limit just as does QF on international ops. Because of other countries rules. They have only in the last few years allowed people beyond 60. You fly through their airspace you must follow their rules. And their rules QF (and DJ???) have no restriction domestically fly as long as you pass you medical and sims.

fire wall
10th Feb 2009, 09:34
Is it Max P .....

walaper
10th Feb 2009, 09:47
Remember GF was fleet captain on the B1900 until he retired at 73. Curious if any one knows how he is traveling these days.

teresa green
10th Feb 2009, 09:52
Where do I apply? The missus would be eternally grateful if I started going to work again.:D

poteroo
10th Feb 2009, 11:08
Nothing like a bit of experience! I'm a relatively young chap, and often formation fly with an ex aggie ,(79), and an ex AN skipper,(72). Experience and airmanship will always prevail over all the artificial T&EM, HF and whatever other acronym Canberra can invent.

happy days,

FFRATS
10th Feb 2009, 12:22
GF was/is a legend "me boy".
Still remember him teaching me how to properly iron a shirt at 2 mile. It showed it did'nt matter if he was flying a B747 around the world or a B1900 to some **** hole, this guys personal standard was always high and rubbed off on others. His mature outlook served him well.
Hope he is still in good health.
FFRATS

SIUYA
10th Feb 2009, 20:06
Mere bunk..........

Small but important technical correction needed for your post:

APNG has given a Dash cmd to a 77yo FO.

You would have appeared better informed if you'd written that a 77yo has earned a Dash-8 command at APNG.

No-one who knows JR doubts his skills and abilities, and I'm really not too sure what safety issues are implied. :confused:

Anyway, well done JR! I hope that I'll be as fit and capable as you when I reach 77, and that's still a few years off! :8

tinpis
10th Feb 2009, 20:33
LOL, fire wall. Pants not that old is he? :hmm:

Stationair8
10th Feb 2009, 20:36
As long as the zimmer frame fits through the cockpit door, shouldn't be a problem.

Does the guide dog sit on the jump seat?

Yon Garde
10th Feb 2009, 20:46
"You would have appeared better informed if you'd written that a 77yo has earned a Dash-8 command at APNG".

Too true SUIYA, you've hit the nail on the head. If Beer Monk thinks commands in any airline are "given away" then i'd suggest he'll be waiting a fair while for his. Gen Y I suspect.

By the way Beer Monk, starting a new identity to publicly crap on an experienced and highly regarded collegue is a cool move. Nice one.

Sharpie
10th Feb 2009, 22:00
Beer - Monk, I hope that you are with APNG as it sounds to me like you need a few oldies like JR to kick your butt now and again to keep you in line.

JR started flying up there way back when and was a highly respected checkie in my day and most certainly would have earned the priviledge of his Dash 8 command the same as any other F/O has.

Being a few years younger than JR but not in the flying 'role' I certainly enjoy the return to aviation, the challenges and the ability to impart a few well-earned pointers to the younger jet-set and would like to be still doing so in a few more years

Keep up the good work JR an example to all, and remember, "tie 'em down you Maori warrior!"

Looie.:ok:

fire wall
10th Feb 2009, 23:32
Tinpis, not in my eyes mate but yes he has seen a few sunrises.

tinpis
10th Feb 2009, 23:41
fire wall agreed, and a great many of them through bloodshot eyes and all...:rolleyes:

If JR refers to who I think, he was a legend when I went up to PNG 39 years ago :ok:

ad-astra
11th Feb 2009, 00:21
It will be very interesting to see if Beer Monk (who has no less than 1 post to his name) will respond to any of these posts?

By all means ask a question, by all means join up and be part of the rich tapestry of PPrune - but imply anything other than respect for this gentleman and you will get more than a mouthful.

I too have known JR for over 20 years and have seen him operate from a variety of seats and management positions in my 13 years in PNG.

Do not doubt his ability and professionalism and never doubt his commitment to his passengers.

He would not accept nor would he continue in a position that he was either not capable of, or not prepared for.

Beer Monk you have asked your question and in the process slandered the Doctors of PNG the company involved and the individual concerned.

Nice work for your 'first' post. Grind you axe somewhere else.

Tim

sundaun
11th Feb 2009, 02:01
This man gave me many a "rowdy" admonishing after many a poor renewal with classics such as "even a good dog needs a hiding now and again" over a beer afterwards and I do hope you fly with him because his standards are impeccable, and never refer to pilots as "drivers" as I so often see. He hates it. Good on yer, old mate! You still out thar Gee-up?

SIUYA
11th Feb 2009, 06:41
Geez tin......you beat me up to PNG by 2 years! :ooh:

ad-astra, I don't think we'll be getting get any response from mere bunk after the consolidated (and thoroughly deserved) 'hiding' he's been given in response to his post#1.

Hopefully he's decided that it's probably best to leave the building. :D

tinpis
11th Feb 2009, 17:26
Geez tin......you beat me up to PNG by 2 years!

But didya work for Junior? :hmm:

SIUYA
11th Feb 2009, 18:41
No............

Worked for one of the opposition mobs.

tinpis
11th Feb 2009, 23:32
M.....Air?

SIUYA
12th Feb 2009, 02:56
Y......s :D

tinpis
12th Feb 2009, 03:27
Ooooo...this is fun...was feltippen CP then or Cy4s?

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Feb 2009, 03:38
Interesting subject.

I am 73 and still pass a medical that allows me to do unlimited aerobatics and as far as I can tell my thought process has only improved due to more data being stored in the files to help me arrive at the best solution to solve problems.

Am I to old to be allowed to fly passengers?

tinpis
12th Feb 2009, 03:51
Hmmm...just a thought Chuck, you ever met Al Trice?

Torres
12th Feb 2009, 03:51
"I would not hesitate to send my family on a flight with JR."

If it is the John R.... I think it is, I suggest you go ask him for a few pointers, shut up when he speaks and show a heap of respect! He has forgotten more about PNG aviation than you will ever know!

I am aware of a 73 year old airline Captain in Australia, someone mentioned a DC3 pilot well over 80 years old. What has age got to do with it?

VAustralia probably limits command age to 65 due to the FAA limit of 65 for flights operating into or overflying the USA. I think QF does the same thing with LH Captains?

troppo
12th Feb 2009, 10:06
Grow some respect son. If he was your father would you be piling **** on him? I think not. He has earnt the position and respect so give him a break and take the opportunity to learn from someone who obviously cares about PNG aviation and has a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on. Blokes like this are a dying breed an deserve respect.

SIUYA
12th Feb 2009, 10:42
tin............

T'was the feltippen. I was based in POM and Cy4s was in Lae. It was never really a totally pretty encounter tho' if he came to POM (or we went to LAE) for an o'nite! :{

Now careful what you say troppo..........

Blokes like this are a dying breed.........

because that's not really the message we're trying to send to clowns like mere bunk about legends like JR!:8

tinpis
12th Feb 2009, 19:39
I was in Lae in 73 SUIYA Brung a 206 up from SYD and donned a hitler yoof uniform for a short time, had fun on the Porter :ok:

AerocatS2A
12th Feb 2009, 23:47
Hey, even if the worst happens and the guy has a heart attack on approach, it's not like the Dash can't be flown single pilot. I'm sure the FO will manage to select gear, flap, and condition levers ok.

HANOI
13th Feb 2009, 01:00
Many years ago.....one would be sitting in the Jet Bar at the old Gateway enjoying a quiet SP white can ( tinpis ) when the doors would be flung open and there would be " JR " , arms folded and feet firmly planted apart , uttering his famous catchphrase , " Could I inveigle anyone into a gargle ".
Another of PNG's famous legends , and still going well !.

Trex wantok
13th Feb 2009, 03:57
Beer Monk,
You sound like one of the two guys that APNG just turn down for a command. Ok I let you in on a little secret you're a DICK and no one is nutts enough to give you are command, not here not anywhere, lose the attitude and fly a little bit better then maybe someone will put in the good word for you. JR is a legend around here so show some recpect

Fantome
13th Feb 2009, 16:40
There's a beautiful big battered book in that rowdy assortment of Irish genes. And kidneys that have filtered MCP than Cascade put through in a week. Is the track still winding back to Woolgoolga?

Oh and beer monk old boy young man ? if you're feeling downhearted by zero support and sundry slurs upon your character, don't. If it weren't for you those of us at a far remove from the source of good oil would not be privy to what's come on the heels of your reinvention.

Bit reminiscent of Bush mechanics. Without the backlash from dubyah's appalling record in office Obama wouldn't have had a snowflake's.

geeup
14th Feb 2009, 00:38
Hi sundaun

I'm still out there but I have no real comment.:eek:

I have never flown with JR, but I do know him and have a vast amount of respect for him.:ok:

ad-astra
14th Feb 2009, 01:04
"And kidneys that have filtered MCP than Cascade put through in a week"

Very clever and with your approval I'm gonna use that one!
If we haven't crossed paths we should have.
:D:D