PDA

View Full Version : mainplane life on the C130J

herkman
9th Feb 2009, 20:57
Have been following with great interest, the statements made on this forum, about the problem of mainplane life on the J models.

So far we do not appear to be seeing the problem, but could be caused by longer distances travelled and even perhaps lower operating weights.

Can anyone indicate, even as a PM at what hours cycles these are being seen.

Thanks

Col

US Herk
10th Feb 2009, 22:11
Col,

Not sure if you're referring to center wing box (CWB) issue or not. If so, all J-models prior to '09 models have the '96 (I think) re-design CWB which is somewhat beefier than earlier H-model CWB (which early J-models received), but gives no advantage as far as lifetime.

Starting with '09 models, they use what the USAF calls the "SOF CWB" - it's significantly heavier (~1900lbs) and more than doubles CWB life.

Wing planks, outer wings, and rainbow fittings remain unchanged to my knowledge.

If you're referring to something else...I'm more clueless than normal! :ok:

herkman
11th Feb 2009, 04:00
Hi Ernie trust all is well with you.

No it did not seem to refer to the centre section, as the post indicated that the RAF had procurred one set of mainplanes and they were to be used as the basis of a change over program.

Had a call from a RAAF guy asking what I had heard. Centre boxes I presume would be subject to change out not rework.

All the best

Col

Jackonicko
11th Feb 2009, 09:45
There has been quite a lot on C-130J fatigue in open presentations at the Hercules Operator's Conference. Some of the older ones are no longer available on line, but ought to be traceable.

I would particularly draw your attention to the presentation by Squadron Leader Mark Stubbs on RAF C-130 Operational Support and Sustainment presented at the 2007 conference, which has an interesting graph at slide 41.

In 2003, Sqn Ldr Saunders expresed "Concerns over the centre wingstructure, that we (the IPT) consider is unmonitored".

I wonder whether the J box is much better monitored?

Jackonicko
11th Feb 2009, 09:48
The Wing Fatigue Test programme which was supposed to have started in March 08 is an RAF/RAAF Collaborative Project............

US Herk
11th Feb 2009, 23:28
There are CWB refurb programmes out there. It was one proposal considered by USAF.

As for J CWB monitoring, while I do not know the contract under which the RAF J-models were procured, Lockheed have a programme to monitor the CWB life...