PDA

View Full Version : Region of Reverse Command?

AvEnthusiast
9th Feb 2009, 11:03
It might seem a little bit junky, but I have been asked this. What is the boundary speed for C-152 region of normal and reverse command? I mean at which speed does the C-152 come under region of reverse command?

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Feb 2009, 11:30
52.475 kts IAS at 10,000' in ISA!

Dr :8

poteroo
9th Feb 2009, 11:46
Actually, you can't define a speed. It's really what happens when the instructor is asleep and the student is PIC
happy days,

AvEnthusiast
9th Feb 2009, 11:48
Dr,
Do you have any idea of the region of reverse command?

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Feb 2009, 12:00
Pyro says, "You can work it out from the formula:

(-b±√(b²-4ac))/2a"

if you have a mind to, but its just one of those figures that stuck in my head!

Dr :8

blade root
9th Feb 2009, 12:12
If it's more than 90kts don't worry about it.....

Mark1234
9th Feb 2009, 12:26
approximately Vx, which is if I recall around 56kts

Mark1234
9th Feb 2009, 12:33
I'm intrigued tho Dr, can you explain what second order polynomials have to do with it :E

j3pipercub
9th Feb 2009, 12:42
take one up, have a play and find out!

185skywagon
9th Feb 2009, 22:57
And watch out for the "Wing in Transit" light if you are messing around in the upper speed regions.
:E

jonobishop
9th Feb 2009, 23:58
Forky is right. The drag curve is a quadratic eqation and you want to know where its at a minimum.

As J3Pipercub says - If you really must find a number then go for a fly :}

Hope I don't sound patronising... but you would have to set up S&L with your approach flap, gradually reduce power and trim to maintain height until speed slows to a point where an increase of power is needed to maintain height and speed.

Remember speed for L/D max depends on weight, so reversed command will begin at higher speeds if heavier :ok:

Mark1234
10th Feb 2009, 00:04
Chaps & chapesses... fun as this is, it's not what some of you may be thinking - it's simply a poncey term for being on the back of the drag curve, i.e. slower than best l/d. So around Vx is a decent approximation crossover as posted...

And yes, it will vary with weight.

Crossposted with the above, but just to add, it doesn't have to be flapped, there will be different speeds for different configs.

gutso-blundo
10th Feb 2009, 01:19
Oh that kind of reverse command... And here's me thinking "how in the world would you get a 152 up to trans-sonic speeds to have to worry about that kind of thing?" :}

hoss
10th Feb 2009, 01:39
i just got off the phone to 'the huns' dad about this and his response was,"uh, whats a C-152?"

jportzer
10th Feb 2009, 02:30
It might seem a little bit junky, but I have been asked this. What is the boundary speed for C-152 region of normal and reverse command? I mean at which speed does the C-152 come under region of reverse command?As a PPL student I was taught that this is normally the same as best rate of climb speed (for full power) or the best glide speed (for no power) - these are the points on the power curve where both higher and lower speeds result in increased drag and thus reduced lift. For practical purposes both speeds are 65 kts in a C152. I know that PPL theory is quite simplified though so I'm interested in more informed opinions?

Horatio Leafblower
10th Feb 2009, 05:52
Starts at my front fence or within 100m of my wife...

... I am PIC outside those parameters but when I walk through the front gate, SHE is in command... :uhoh::ouch::rolleyes: :oh:

hoss
10th Feb 2009, 07:38
100m or front fence! mate your a lucky one, in my case its 10km or in the suburb hence the term 'region' of reverse command.

and shes the 'old school' four bars and a star checky type.

Deaf
10th Feb 2009, 07:49
Understand back of drag curve and controls seemed to work the same (or did in the C150 I owned for 4 yrs) so WTF is "reverse command".

Does it just mean "give me more money"?

Lasiorhinus
10th Feb 2009, 08:12
In "Normal" operations, an increase in power is required to travel faster, and a decrease in power is required to travel slower.

In the Region of Reversed Command, an increase in power is required to travel slower, and a decrease in power is required to travel faster.

currawong
10th Feb 2009, 08:44
It is where stick forward = climb and stick back = descent.

Most likely you will encounter it where more power is not an option.

eg (over)loaded at full power and trying to out climb something.

Deaf
10th Feb 2009, 09:34
In "Normal" operations, an increase in power is required to travel faster, and a decrease in power is required to travel slower.

In the Region of Reversed Command, an increase in power is required to travel slower, and a decrease in power is required to travel faster.

It is where stick forward = climb and stick back = descent.

Most likely you will encounter it where more power is not an option.

eg (over)loaded at full power and trying to out climb something.

Think I might stick with old fashioned idea of stick=speed and power=ROD/C that I was taught even in 48kt approachs in the C150 with gusty winds.